19richie66

WIDENING AN EATON 1100 FOR A GT14 (AXLE SWAP)

JAinVA

Man that is slick.

I don't have a 14 but would like a wider stance for the crane tractor.This will help a lot!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

AWESOME documentation of the process Rich. :text-thankyoublue:

• Thanks 1

19richie66
6 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Man that is slick.

I don't have a 14 but would like a wider stance for the crane tractor.This will help a lot!

If you are lifting with the crane tractor, I would use the 4 lug or 6 lug larger hubs and rims/tires with the axles sticking out the differential further. I am not putting mine through a whole lot of abuse so I ran the 5 lug hubs. I just play with my tractors for now. :laughing-rolling: You might have no issues. I don’t know. Good luck and let me know if you do it and it works for you.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

JAinVA

I hate to admit abuse of the tractor but I am pushing the original design to it's limits.I have said many times that these tractors for me are tools.I try to take good care of the tools and will always look for ways to make them fit my needs. I also try to make sure any modification I do make does not permanently alter the machines.This mod may be an exception.Thanks again for the information.I think d160 transmissions are in danger of being robbed.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

RandyLittrell

What is the total width when you are done with it Ritchie? The Eaton swap is looking like a great idea!! 

Randy

19richie66
5 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

What is the total width when you are done with it Ritchie? The Eaton swap is looking like a great idea!! 

Randy

It’s 29-1/2” from axle tip to axle tip after you cut the right side to the correct length. I believe this is the same as the stock gt14 transmission. If you wver decided to do it, I have a pattern for the left side panel that has to be cut slightly for the brake rod/brake assembly to clear. Would be more than happy to provide measurements. I will try to include this in the write up as well. I’ll edit it later. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

953 nut

:bow-blue:      That is a very will documented piece of work ans needs to be placed in our "Tutorial" section.         :text-coolphotos:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

Excellent tutorial Richie!!!

Great pic documentation too!

Your explanation almost makes it look like a piece of cake........not nearly as scary a procedure as I imagined it to be.

I guess @Aldon did something similar with the 8 speed, but I haven't looked at that thread for a long time.

He bought a spare set of GT 14 axles from me to achieve what he wanted. (He was really after the longer axle as I recall).

The whole swap out of parts from various sources make lots of different scenarios possible.

If I were doing something like that, I think I'd still go with the longer axle shaft hubs (4 3/8") of the GT 14  four bolt hubs to better support the weight on a longer area of axle and bringing it closer to the tranny housing. The six bolt hubs would achieve the same thing, I believe.

It's good to know there are GT 14 options out there......particularly the Eaton hydro option. I love mowing with a hydro.....much less hassle in going fast or super slow, IMO.

I must be super lucky with my Sundstrand 90-2062 GT 14 tranny because I've never had a problem with it.

Anymore, I change the filter and fluid every year which has probably added to the service life of the stock GT 14 tranny which will be 50 years old in 2019.

Its the keeping the internals as clean a possible while in service that must be the reason mine has lived so long.

I'm interested in your final set up of the motion control lever on the tractor when you get to that point also.

Well done! Kudos!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Great picture tutorial. 

This should be pinned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wheelhorse#1

Excellent tutorial and priceless information.This is what I love about RS great folks willing  to share very helpful  knowledge and tips.Thanks for your time put into this.

• Thanks 1

19richie66
41 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Excellent tutorial and priceless information.This is what I love about RS great folks willing  to share very helpful  knowledge and tips.Thanks for your time put into this.

Thank you. More than happy to share. Both of my transmissions are still going strong. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thor27

@19richie66 Thank you for doing such a good job documenting this. Also, your transmission stand is a pretty awesome idea. 

• Thanks 1

19richie66
5 hours ago, Thor27 said:

@19richie66 Thank you for doing such a good job documenting this. Also, your transmission stand is a pretty awesome idea. 

Thank you sir! It’s just some C channel I had and scrap steel plate. I got the slack adjuster(rotating mechanism)  and actuator cam(shaft that runs through the bearings and rotates)from NAPA. Works great for frames too. I actually have a transmission on it at the moment I’m getting ready to split. 

6D5FF268-D64C-45D5-805D-13FAF5BA7DDE.jpeg

CAA47DE2-C778-4BA9-B470-7CC5BF380A21.jpeg

5C781F7E-9E62-4A97-8FCE-D605A8CEDD21.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

I've read this thread in the distant past. 

Excellent write up.  

Thank you.  

I never realized it until now.... This is pretty similar to what I did with the 8 speed for Colossus.  

I'm fairly sure that has the longer of the two GT14 axles on both sides. Not sure.  

Using a pair of 3" aluminum spacers and standard width 15" camper wheels it measures about 42" across.  

I'd estimate that puts the transmission around 29", 30". 

• Like 1