WildBlue

417-8 Suddenly No Spark

WildBlue

I recently purchased an ole 417-8 which was running really well.  Today went to start her and no spark at the plugs.  I am familiar with the ole Kohler 16HP but this guy is new to me but anxious to learn...  Any guidance about how to approach this issue and this engine in general would be much appreciated.

gwest_ca

Service manual - click on the pictures first

Parts list

Owner's manual

Garry

WildBlue

Thank you so much Garry; These docs will be a big help getting up to speed on this ole 417-8.

Best regards,

Thom

gwest_ca

Should have given you this one also. The ignition is powered by the pto switch when the pto is OFF and by the seat switch when the pto is ON.

You should have power at the coil (+) terminal when starting and running.

Check for power at the coil (-) terminal when cranking. When the points are closed you should have no power. When the points are open you should have power again. This on and off happens quickly so may be hard to see.

Steady power at the coil (-) terminal indicates the points are not closing or are not making electrical contact when they are closed. Polish and clean the point contacts with a nail file or point file.

Garry

WildBlue

Thank you again Garry,

For the time shortcut; definitely shortens my learning curve with respect to understanding the operation of the coil.  As seems to be the case with many of these late model units however, the previous owner disabled all of the wiring around the PTO and seat switches which makes for even more uncertainty...  I'm still trying to figure that out...

Lost Pup

I own a 417-8.  Points seem to oxidze quickly no matter how short the down time. I always clean and adjust them first.

i use a short jumper wire from the battery positive then clipped to the ignition coil positve terminal. The PTO , seat switch and ignition switch run position are now bypassed for the moment. Starting fluid helps just to prove a quick fire and run that the spark is ok.  

Common for the kohler mechanical fuel pump to take rather long cranking cycles for the fuel line to prime after some down time. The clear fuel filter can be closely watched for fuel flow splashing while cranking. 

Lost Pup

Just remembered that my 417-8 really likes full battery voltage for that initial run after sitting.  Initial  starter cranking to prime the fuel line just kills an older battery. I swapped out a new battery from my 418A to the 417-8 and it made a huge difference. I never repace the coil just the condenser and points so it could be needed. Mostly I leave the tiller on the 417-8 for spring use. 

WildBlue

Thanks, appreciate the info; turns out it was the points (needed a bit of filing) after siting for a few months in high humidity environment

• Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:

:woohoo:     Glad you got it going and the problem was easy to fix.   There is one thing we request of new members,     :wwp:

WildBlue

Picture attached; Many thanks for helping me get'er going...

20181031 Wheel HOrse 417A.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1