squonk

Think it will work?

squonk

We get heavy wet snow more often than not. I have a small driveway with not a lot of room to put snow. I've been moving piles back with Elvis but it gets to be a pain when half the snow stays in the bucket and you have to jog the loader. I had an extra 42" WH blade so I made up a Prototype. Comes on and off with pins. Bungee is temporary until I can come up with something better.

121086655_Elvisplow001.JPG.f48927fbcc9d2ce9b648c51b1a8cce5a.JPG

532493682_Elvisplow002.JPG.673ff559db0c928ed5f66342105427b8.JPG

442770145_Elvisplow003.JPG.2ad19709101e8ff3c630572ff9cac972.JPG

• Like 7

ebinmaine

I think you've got a great idea there.

The only concern I can see is that you may catch snow on the outside edges where the curve of the blade kind of sits in the bucket.

squonk

Yeah, I expect snow to get in the bucket some but that's not a big deal.

ebinmaine

If that gets so you'd like to stop it you could attach pieces of thick rubber to the edges and maybe even put a snow foil on the top to help it roll off instead of up and over.

Digger 66

I'm not really sure what you're getting at ...

When you're dumping , does the bucket not have enough forward-curl to let the snow drop out ? 

So the blade is temporarily attached to the bucket to turn it into a plow ?

Edited by Digger 66

squonk
10 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

I'm not really sure what you're getting at ...

When you're dumping , does the bucket not have enough forward-curl to let the snow drop out ? 

So the blade is temporarily attached to the bucket to turn it into a plow ?

Wet snow sticks in the bucket unless you job the bucket and arms . Just want to push the piles. The curve of the blade will roll the snow forward without piling over the back of the bucket. If the piles get high I can raise the plow and angle it and move the tops back. I saw a similar set up on a Bobcat Turf Cat last winter. They were moving good of snow piles. Yes the blade comes on and off in seconds.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I'm sure you guys have the same scenario out there but a lot of people use a similar setup for doing parking lots here. The only difference is that they use a plow blade that is a foot or two wider than the total width of the snow scoop.

• Like 1

The Gman

Used to use Pam (non stick spray) on my walking blower. Worked great. Two cans lasted me the season for that wet stuff.

• Like 1

Digger 66
23 minutes ago, squonk said:

Wet snow sticks in the bucket unless you job the bucket and arms . Just want to push the piles. The curve of the blade will roll the snow forward without piling over the back of the bucket. If the piles get high I can raise the plow and angle it and move the tops back. I saw a similar set up on a Bobcat Turf Cat last winter. They were moving good of snow piles. Yes the blade comes on and off in seconds.

I gotcha . I thought ( like me ) you run out of room to push the stuff . I have to blow my snow here in Buffalo's southern snow belt .

And as stated below I would be seeking some way of getting the "mashed potatoes" to slide out of the bucket , be it a coating of spray oil or Silicone .

9 minutes ago, The Gman said:

Used to use Pam (non stick spray) on my walking blower. Worked great. Two cans lasted me the season for that wet stuff.

Nowhere to push it when it comes this much at a time :lol:

lz6wSqj.jpg

Edited by Digger 66
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

The idea is a bigger blade with wings, aka snow pusher is what you need. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Nice Job!

I think it will work just fine for what you describe as your intent...

Kenneth R Cluley

May want to cut a couple 2x4's or 4x4's and place in bucket behind blade for support. I don't think pins will take that much pushing. JMHO.

• Like 1

JoeM

My neighbor used a similar idea on his Kubota. His problem was the same, snow stuck in the bucket. He removed the bucket and installed an old rear mount 3 point blade he removed from its frame. The blade was wider and plowed much better. He said he could float it or apply down pressure if needed to remove built up snow or ice with no issues. Your mounting is much simpler.

Pullstart
On 10/20/2018 at 7:04 PM, Kenneth R Cluley said:

May want to cut a couple 2x4's or 4x4's and place in bucket behind blade for support. I don't think pins will take that much pushing. JMHO.

My thoughts too.  I wouldn’t have a ton of faith in the pins holding if the snow or snow pile stopped the tractor.  

On the the other hand, I’ve seen a guy push his entire driveway with a wooden folding table strapped against his F-150 bumper!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine

@squonk

I meant to reply to this the other day.

I had a similar thought on those smaller pins possibly not being strong enough. How would you feel about drilling for larger holes and maybe using some hardened steel pins?

953 nut
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’ve seen a guy push his entire driveway with a wooden folding table strapped against his F-150 bumper!

:wwp:

• Haha 2

squonk
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@squonk

I meant to reply to this the other day.

I had a similar thought on those smaller pins possibly not being strong enough. How would you feel about drilling for larger holes and maybe using some hardened steel pins?

I am not going to be pushing an entire driveway or banging in to piles at high speed . I want to lift the blade and clear off the tops of piles then lower it to do the remaining.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

squonk
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

On the the other hand, I’ve seen a guy push his entire driveway with a wooden folding table strapped against his F-150 bumper!

Tried that once with an oak door on the front of an 85 Toyota H-5. Snapped the board. 

• Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Tried that once with an oak door on the front of an 85 Toyota H-5. Snapped the board. 

3 hours ago, pullstart said:

:wwp: x 2

• Haha 3

The Tuul Crib
On 10/20/2018 at 2:26 PM, squonk said:

We get heavy wet snow more often than not. I have a small driveway with not a lot of room to put snow. I've been moving piles back with Elvis but it gets to be a pain when half the snow stays in the bucket and you have to jog the loader. I had an extra 42" WH blade so I made up a Prototype. Comes on and off with pins. Bungee is temporary until I can come up with something better.

That’s a great fit very nice work let’s see some pictures of that in action !

WVHillbilly520H
On 10/20/2018 at 3:26 PM, squonk said:

I'm thinking instead of "pins" at the top why not a long piece of "all thread" all the way through the blade and bucket that can be tightened up with nuts anything hardened would wear on the softer blade and bucket then snap if caught just right vs bending with the softer all thread, as far as the binge cords a ratchet strap may be all that's needed at the top, good luck.

squonk

UPDATE:!!!!!  Well I had to press the Power King into duty earlier than I planned on. A foot of concrete snow was a bit much for HHHOOOWWWAAARRRDDD!!! to handle and I haven't had time to mount the blower on the C160. This blade worked great. pushed and piled like crazy with no bending of the pins. Yes snow got behind the blade but it's in it's early stages.

487974157_novsnow003.JPG.a251c75691967642418bc7875df71c2f.JPG

1613181136_novsnow001.JPG.b03daa3571f4ce5ca2e984356df9ff86.JPG

821726251_novsnow002.JPG.8590f833417f7b7bd51bd47716fbe532.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

Glad to hear it worked for you,  Mike.  This snow storm surely was a good test.  We generally don't get many storms like this lately. 

AMC RULES

I'm thinking...

the extra weight in the bucket is good thing. 

• Haha 1

mmmmmdonuts

I love the mod. Was thinking of doing something similar with my loader since I have a spare blade laying around.