Pullstart

Reading these stories compels me to tell one!

Pullstart

Yesterday afternoon, I heard my brother in law was moving his hot tub from the house he sold to my sister in law.  I offered to come give a hand loading it.  Once it was loaded on the flat bed, I overheard him telling one of his buddies that they’re going to unload it too.  Not having many plans, other than seeing my wife for the first night of the week that we weren’t running kids back and forth, etc, I called to let her know it would be best if I go help unload it too.  She agreed.  It’s just shy of 8’ square, and 800 lbs.  there were 4 of us who loaded it.  I think we all would have had to be there to get it down a hill and into position under the deck.  

Meantime during transit, it’s spitting a bit of rain.  There are plenty of ratchet straps, just in case you wondered!  When we were sliding the tub to the tail of the trailer, my work boots decided to slide out from under me.  My chin caught the rest of my body on the edge of the tub, before I bounced off my knees and hopped up like a down-up football drill.  One of the guys witnessed in awe that I popped back up, asking if I was hurt.  I thought I bit my tongue off.  Somehow, there was no blood.  This morning, my chin is sore but otherwise I feel good.  But just a quick slip, with all my body force going in the wrong direction, too quick to catch any grip on anything....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

AMC RULES

Gravity don't play, heal fast...

and keep stepping my friend. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Razorback

Makes me hurt when I picture that in my brain.

Glad you were not hurt badly, and tongue in intact!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.The story is a good reminder that bad things can happen, even if we are careful.

• Like 4

rjg854

Heal up fast,  Kevin 

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

It can happen WAY TO FAST Kevin.  Glad you weren’t seriously hurt.  

• Thanks 1

Stormin

I used to take part in off road competitions some years back. One day I was lying under my Land Rover refitting a rear propshaft I'd fitted with new UJ's.

At the time I had a German Shepherd. She liked you to throw sticks or other objects for her. At the time she preferred a lump of hawthorn. A rather big lump and heavy. As I lay there on my back, lower half of my body sticking out from under the Land Rover, she decided she wanted to play.

To attract my attention she dropped the lump of wood, not by me, but right between my legs where it hurts. The shock/pain made me try to sit upright. Forehead came in contact with chassis, bounced back and hit the concrete floor, back up to attack the chassis a second time.

Rolling out from underneath I could have done with three hands. One for my forehead, one for the back of my head and one to hold you know where.

Kelly, the dog just stood there with a bemused look and wagging her tail.

• Haha 6

Pullstart
1 minute ago, Stormin said:

I used to take part in off road competitions some years back. One day I was lying under my Land Rover refitting a rear propshaft I'd fitted with new UJ's.

At the time I had a German Shepherd. She liked you to throw sticks or other objects for her. At the time she preferred a lump of hawthorn. A rather big lump and heavy. As I lay there on my back, lower half of my body sticking out from under the Land Rover, she decided she wanted to play.

To attract my attention she dropped the lump of wood, not by me, but right between my legs where it hurts. The shock/pain made me try to sit upright. Forehead came in contact with chassis, bounced back and hit the concrete floor, back up to attack the chassis a second time.

Rolling out from underneath I could have done with three hands. One for my forehead, one for the back of my head and one to hold you know where.

Stories like this, I wish I could give a laugh and sad face reaction!  I had a dog who would play fetch with firewood, one time she dropped a piece on my mom’s foot and fractured a bone!  Once again, dog still at ready to do her duty to fetch it!

• Like 3

pfrederi
2 hours ago, Stormin said:

Sounds familiar

Years ago i was getting ready for an inspection lying on the cold wet floor in the motor pool bay (Think Colorado in the winter).  We knew the inspector was death on loose jack shaft bolts on Deuces. Had the 3/4 drive socket on the bolt foot on the frame and pulling hard.  Wrench slipped off and the handle caught me between the legs...That hurt and i sat up in response..my head meeting the frame of the deuce. head wounds bleed profusely  but what really hurt was lower.  I was the company commander showing the troops that we all had to work.  Think my Motor Sergeant about died laughing

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

953 nut

Our high school auto shop teacher would let us do work on our own cars in the afternoon while he was in his office doing lesson plans and grading papers. I was under the hood laying across the engine installing ignition points in my '56 DeSoto (distributor at the back of the engine) and needed someone to hold a light pointed to the distributor. A friend climbed up on the fender and held a flashlight through the hood opening to assist me. The kid was kind of Klutzy and lost his balance, slipped off the fender landing on the hood which promptly closed as far as it could with me pinned under it and his arm caught in the rear hood gap. Neither of us could move and everyone else in the shop started laughing so loud that the shop teacher came out to see what the ruckus was. He asked if we were all right and then began laughing the loudest of the group.

To this day I won't go under a hood without propping it open.

• Haha 4

8ntruck

How many out there have the '57 Chevy hood latch habit of moving off center line of the vehicle before standing up when coming out from under the hood?

• Like 1