BigRed84

Pretty sure I got taken at a local Toro Stealership...

BigRed84

Good morning all, the short version is, I listed several (roughly 5 or 6) items that I wanted addressed on my single stage snow thrower, and watched the guy write down my concerns while I was pointing it all out to him, finally stating (for budget concerns) that I would like an estimate before any work is performed.  Well, after it sitting there for over a month, they finally call me and explain the TWO things they worked on, and it was ready for pick up and what I owed for the work.  Long story short, I'm heated that they didn't give me an estimate first, and that i'm 90% sure they did not fix the problems I asked to be looked into.  

Does anyone here in the (Shelton, CT) area have first hand experience with the tall chute snow throwers that fit the newer Tractors(mine is a 314H), and might be willing to lend a hand, or recommend an HONEST and reasonable shop that wont sit on my work for a month and then ignore my instructions?  Last year it kept throwing the drive chain (not belt) anytime I hit snow with it (didn't matter if it was 3" dusting or 8" storm) and I can't figure it out, so i'm just trying to get everything back to like new condition, and possibly also learn how to set the PTO spacing for proper engagement.  Will pay for your time!  

Thanks for any advice

-Chris-

squonk

What did they fix?

BigRed84

I'm going to pick it up after work around noon, I'm hoping they addressed everything, but over the phone he just told me they adjusted a pulley (on the belt side) that was slightly bent.  I didn't want to get into an argument over the phone with him, but I feel like common sense says the pulley on the belt side would not cause the chain to jump off the sprockets on the auger side unless the entire horizontal driveshaft was bent as well.  Agree?

BigRed84

To fully adresss what i tried to do last winter while this was happening, i replaced the chain, replaced master link twice, replaced the two smaller sprockets at the front of the auger housing, and then spun it by hand to make sure everything spun straight and free...which it does, ran it at full throttle just sitting in the driveway(we had no snow at the time to test it)for a few min with no problems at all, but then the next storm we got, i made it abkut 10' down the driveway and it threw the chain again.  That's where i gave up.

rmaynard

You should not throw a chain unless:

1. The chain us too loose;

2. The teeth on the sprockets (including the one on the auger) are worn;

3. The alignment of the sprockets are off.

Check the bearings at the end of the auger shaft. 

When I was a kid I used to throw the chain off my bicycle until my dad aligned the sprockets and tightened the chain for me.

• Like 1

BigRed84

I eyeballed the sprockets to the best of my ability...is there a specific tool designed for this to be more accurate?...im certainly not claiming my eyes are spot on anymore haha.  

The sprocket teeth on auger and driveshaft dont appear to be worn too bad, although not sure what would constitute needing replacement.  Otherwise i can try to remoce a link or two from chain,  i dont recall doing that last year.  

shallowwatersailor

Did you check the chain tension after running it without snow? It sounds as if it lost tension, or you have too many links in the chain.

BigRed84

I did push it back and forth by hand after running it.  It appeared to have a common anount of slack....by common i mean in comparison to when i have checked in in past years while lubricating it, so I'm not 100% on what is an allowable amount of back and forth movement.    All else fails i can remove a link and attenpt to tighten the sprocket that has the elongated hole as best i can.  

BigRed84

By the way....i appreciate all the quick replies with suggestions.  Thank you all!

lynnmor

If the chain has the proper amount of links and cannot be adjusted, my bet is that you have a bad bearing or two.

squonk

When the chain is off, spin the auger by hand and listen/feel for any rumbling when it's turning.

• Like 1

BigRed84

Auger spins free and next to silently, and i also put a 2x4 under it and gentle moved it up and down to check for play in the auger which I thought would tell me if there was a sloppy bearing.  There is no movement and it rolls freely by itself longer than my bicycle tire spins for.  Haha   I did however, ask this dealer to replace the bearings at each end of the auger just as preventative maintenance.  I don't think they did that either.  I'm going to do my best to be the calm one, but if he does happen to get aggressive and give me an attitude i'll post up the dealer name and the exact situation so everyone can give feedback and rookies don't go to him.  Hoping for the best though.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, BigRed84 said:

By the way....i appreciate all the quick replies with suggestions.  Thank you all!

That's what all the folks are here for.

Not telling you what to do. I'm a very calm person overall.

I don't think it's worth the rise in your blood pressure to worry about what someone is not doing correctly.

I've lived in Maine and Massachusetts but have no experience in Connecticut. Both States I have lived in, many shops are forced by law to give a written estimate in certain businesses. Auto repair and appliance repair. I don't know about tractor and small engine repair.

What's the chances you have a copy of the original writings?

Or can ask to see it.

I'm normally a very straight up, no option b type person. If I ask you to do something it's because that's what I wanted done.

If you bring to the attention of the person that you asked for 6 things to be ESTIMATED and then they called you and said that two had been REPAIRED without being estimated, I feel like you have the right to pay for your machine so you can get it in your possession and then ask for a refund or argue the charges out with your credit card company or something.

As far as fixing your machine...

The people on this website will be more than happy to get you back up and running with minimal tools and knowledge necessary.

I know that from experience.

Huge wealth of information and kindness here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Did you check the chain tension after running it without snow? It sounds as if it lost tension, or you have too many links in the chain.

You do need to retension the idler sprocket after "dry" run and and again after a snow load SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 3/8"-1/2" DEFLECTION ON THE LONGEST SPAN, those idler sprockets are little more than stamped steel pieces spot welded together that seem to wear out rather fast for no more use than these things see, I tore my old tall chute single down and replaced every sprocket (and mean every single one even the one welded to the auger itself) all the bearings pulleys and roller chain a few years ago before I found myself a 2stage  chucker, these tall chute single are just as effective as the deuce except in real wet stuff or DOT plow banks, Jeff.

Snow2-3-09.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG2893.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

TonyToro

If you didn't get things taken care of and want to drive a bit, Stewart's in Rocky Hill has been selling Wheel Horse since the 1970's. Mike is a guru mechanic on them. You can tell him I sent you. 

• Like 1

Jerry77
8 hours ago, BigRed84 said:

I eyeballed the sprockets to the best of my ability...is there a specific tool designed for this to be more accurate

Use a piece of string to check for alighnment...bad alighnmernt  sounds like what is throwing the chain....:twocents-02cents:

BigRed84

I decided not to even bother with an argument.  I will take it as a learning experience and be sure to go into detail if there is a next time for this guy.   When i got there i did ask for the original slip that the tech was taking notes on as i pointed things out.  I remember specifically stating things like "while you have it, parts that you find worn out or damaged, if you can replace them go ahead"  and specifically showed him the worn pin on the lift flag.  I specified i wanter it repaired or replaced and they never even touched it after that.  I will look into the other recommendations.  The dealer said he thinks i shouldn't have a problem because he claimed the tensioner sprocket was bent...from wear in the housing that it bolts through.  I can understand that being a possibility so hopefully thats it.  The thrower worked fine other than throwing the chain.  I will check for the proper deflection before snow season as well.  Thanks for that piece of info!  And thanks to everyone who chimed in with suggestions and info.  Amazing support on this forum!