ZXT

GT-14 resurrection thread

ZXT

Thanks for that photo! I came across it once when I first started working on it but couldn't find it in a manual again. I need to improve my searching skills.

Does the pivot lever button simply adjust out against the plastic slide piece for friction?  

In order to get everything properly placed, I suppose I'll need to drill a new hole for the ball stud to the left of the current one. 

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks for the link to the manual! I didn't realize the thread had spilled over onto a new page.

Edited by ZXT

19richie66

The friction you speak of should be in the motion lever itself. It has a male/female cone that you tighten with the spring and jam nut. Page 10 of this “essential “ gt14 thread there are some good hydro shots. I have a photo somewhere of the lever assembly disassembled that I saw somewhere on here and saved but cannot find at the moment.

23F3DD76-C58B-447F-9379-55666C5EE5AE.jpeg

0D2327A9-5A42-4E2F-A2A2-840D06C9662B.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ztnoo
12 hours ago, ZXT said:

I need to improve my searching skills.

@ZXT,

Just a tip in case you haven't quite absorbed all the nuances of the forum layout and structure. It's certainly not something I learned overnight.

One thing that helps me greatly here at RS is to "Follow" posts I find of particular interest, especially when it comes to GT 14 threads, as well as certain specialized areas of repair, electric clutches being one example.

I use this feature much like a "bookmark" feature in a browser. The difference being it is in essence being bookmarked here within the Red Square format instead of your browser.

"Follow" can be accessed in any thread in the upper right hand portion of every forum thread page.

If you choose that option, you can also choose to be automatically notified when a new comment is made in that thread.

To access threads you have chosen to "Follow", simply go to the very top right corner of a page.

To the right of your avatar and user name, you will see a downward pointing triangle, which indicates a drop down menu.

Click on that and click on "Manage Followed Content".

That will then open to a catalog list of all the threads you have chosen to "Follow".

Search within, by title, for the topic you seek, and click on it to open the thread.

This feature can save you tens of minutes or more in searching for something you want to refer back to refresh your memory about a specific subject or specific topic.

Try it! I think you will like the feature.

Regards,

Steve

btw, do you have a real first name, ZXT???

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ZXT

Richie, I thought it seemed odd the way I was describing it. Thanks for clearing it up!

Thanks, Steve! I found the follow feature and I've been using it. I didn't know about the manage feature, but I do now!

Yep, I do have a name. It's Jonah.

• Like 1

19richie66

Here they are Jonah. I knew I had them somewhere. Hope this helps.

85592027-B957-45B4-A404-62CED0C4D24A.jpeg

134C529B-66D7-4D3F-A401-D4400DC0CD62.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Aldon

I will say that I have taken several of these GT14’s apart and in 80 percent of the cases I find that someone has been in there previously and left the woodruff key out. 

It it makes a difference but I was never able to get to get the friction as sticky as I would prefer. 

• Like 2

ztnoo

@19richie66,

That looks like two of Dave Luzier's great descriptive pics.

They are always super informative and instructional in detail.

• Like 1

ZXT

Thanks for the pictures, guys!

I drilled a hole in the shifter mechanism so that I could use the side hole in the slide cam, and now everything lines up and works good, with the exception of one thing. When I took it on its maiden voyage, I forgot and left the one of the retainers and screw for the slide cam on the tractor and they vibrated off. I can make on easily enough, but it's still aggravating. I also changed the pump input shaft seal and it no longer leaks like a sieve. 

Its coming together slowly but surely!

• Like 2

swisstrac

Thank you Richie for the nice description   and pics  of the sundstrand  motion control '  what a big help  I was lubing the sh.. out of them to no avail. now if will  rectify the problem/

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1