farmer

Anyone for squash

ebinmaine

Well done!

Trina and I love squash. Wish we lived closer...

• Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, farmer said:

Christmas presents

Those will make some wonderful pies, taste just like pumpkin.     :text-yeahthat:      Now we're talking gifts!    :woohoo:

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

That a great looking harvest!

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

@farmer  I'd be interested to know what you think of the different squashes if you would.  That blue one is cool looking.  :occasion-xmas:

farmer

@stevasaurus

I can report on three varieties, :thumbs:

Thelma Sanders (Missouri) is a good one to halve, de seed and stuff with mince etc and bake. We found in previous years however that it doesn’t store very well, so they will be first for the table. 

Queensland blue (Queensland Aus) has a very dense orange flesh which is really sweet, the skin is quite tough (need a good knife) we’ve tried it roasted and had a soup. Should store longer hopefully.

Blue banana (Guatemala) is my wife’s favourite so far, not quite as sweet and very easy to prepare as the skin is thin you end up with a ring of roasted squash on your plate. I don’t think it’ll keep well however. 

Victor also known, believe it or not as “Red warty thing” (Massachusetts) we haven’t tried yet, I think the skin is so tough I could need a chainsaw. :tools-hammerdrill:They should last well in store so something to look forward to later in the winter/spring. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 2

stevasaurus

The reason I asked, I am trying to lose some weight and squash seems to be a favorite for low carbs and still getting the benefits of some of the things you need to eat to be healthy.  I have to confess, we are not squash eaters.  I was brought up on acorn squash, baked and filled with butter and brown sugar, cinnamon and apple.  That was excellent...even for a kid.  I want to thank you for your insight and sharing.  I am going to show what you said to my wife and we will see what is available to us on this side of the pond, check out some recipes and I will let you know what we try.   Again thank you for taking the time to give me a lot to think about. 

PS...take a couple of pictures when you open up a blue one.  :orcs-cheers:

ebinmaine

@stevasaurus

Here in New England we have what's known as a blue hubbard squash.

They are so tough you have to use giant knives to get them open. We've been known to use machetes, axes, I've even heard of a chainsaw. No joke.

The flavor is worth the work.

• Thanks 1

Mows4three

If a squash can grow between all those rocks that you have in New England, it has to be tough....

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

If a squash can grow between all those rocks that you have in New England, it has to be tough....

Cheers!

Dave

All true !!!

AMC RULES

Sure, playing doubles? 

Image result for squash game

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

T-Mo

Craig,

That's scary - I was also thinking of the sport and was wondering, from the title, if the OP wanted a partner to play squash with.  Back in my earlier (read younger) days, I play a lot of racquetball.  I got pretty good at it, or at least, the people I played against seem to think so.  I had a few rackets, and tried to get as much playing time in as I could.  I started playing when I was stationed in Dekalb, Illinois as an Army recruiter.  This was in the early to mid 80s.  And I played a few years after that until finding court time and a busy schedule got in the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

farmer

@AMC RULES and @T-Mo 

It must perhaps be a peculiarity of the UK?but our press tends to use headlines which can be interpreted several ways (as an attention grabber) so it’s rubbed off. :)

Anywho here’s a pic for @stevasaurus of tonight’s specimen for roasting. 

DE5CA763-2CC8-4103-9E99-6EE6656B55B4.jpeg.6a56e07b1ace3c512e00d51104c2b278.jpeg

Just de seed and peel!:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

WOW !!!  That is a fine looking specimen.  Thanks for the picture.  :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Well, the wife brought home a spaghetti squash.  shaped like the blue banana, but not the same color.  It was excellent.  :orcs-cheers:  Today, I am watching "Good Eats" on the cooking channel with host Alton Brown.  He is doing a whole show on squashes...pretty cool.  If you don;'t get the cooking channel, you can find the "Good Eats" shows on you-tube.  Worth a look.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, stevasaurus said:

spaghetti squash

The ones that Trina and her mom buy are kind of oblong mellon shaped.

Striped green and yellow or white and yellow.

I had never even heard of them at all until we met a few years back.

We now have spaghetti squash on a regular basis.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

wife brought home a spaghetti squash

Trina and I are both curious to know what that looks like. Any chance of getting a picture?

• Like 1

farmer

I took this pic last Sunday and then promptly  forgot to post it,

5468EFB6-0112-4AF5-9E2D-9B4D1871F4AB.jpeg.d31d33f7d384ee9192dfb40542ff830d.jpeg

Queensland blue.  Eight segments, two were plenty for three of us amongst other veg. Froze the rest, fresh or frozen they taste gorg. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Farmer...I have been doing some searching on the net.  Quite honestly...squashes do have a place in what I would call "Good Eats".  I would also say that squash is trying to make a healthy come back, from what I am reading.  If I have a concern, it is that we may be calling a certain squash the same thing with 2 different names....from both sides of the pond.  My wife did try to grow some squash this year in the garden...we just got blossoms.  I have grown squash in years before...not a main crop...and have had some success.  I feel like Forest Gump...that's all I have to say about that.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 2

6wheeler

Just found this. Farmer, Nice harvest. We grow several different "Squash". The Blue Banana you have looks like something I am going to try. We do a lot of summer squash and Pattipans but they do not store. By far my favorite is Delicatta. A frustrating squash to grow because, even though the plants are nice? You seldom get more than 1or 2 squash from them. Buttercups and butternuts and acorns are our favorite winter squash because the do store well. Yes, I am thinking of the gardens again.

Dakota8338

Anyone For Squash?  The title brought back a total different memory for me.  

I realize there are different types of squash, but Summer Crookneck Squash is what I though of, and a then 'novice gardener' I worked with many years ago.  Woody was a novice gardener and he planted two 100 foot rows of the Summer Crookneck squash.  When the squash began producing, he and his wife had more squash than they could eat so he began giving squash to the neighbors, and initially the neighbors were thankful and appreciative.  Unfortunately the squash Woody planted turned out to be extremely heavy producers and it did not take long until all his neighbors had all the squash they wanted.  He said when they saw him coming, they would run and lock their doors to avoid receiving any more squash?  He said even the hogs refused to eat the squash, but he learned one does not need many Summer Crookneck Squash plants to produce all the squash a family and friends both want.