The Tuul Crib

Grease Fitting

The Tuul Crib

I have nasty squeaks on this old 312 -8  and close inspection the small hole is supposed to be a point to just oil, well by the  looks of the inside of the pedal you would have to use a whole bottle of oil. Has anyone ever put a grease fitting on these? 

IMG_4813.JPG

KC9KAS

I imagine you can put a grease fitting anywhere that you can successfully tap threads.

It is bound to make less squeaking and work smoother!

Tankman

1/4-28 tap. Grease sounds like a great idea. Go for it! :handgestures-thumbupright:

You might consider drilling a new hole, tap, add your zerk fitting. 

My ‘90 520-8 has grease fittings on both pedals.

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

The Tuul Crib

So in the world of metric fittings bolts and nuts can I find an American Standard grease fitting? 

JAinVA

Any NAPA.The small ones need to be tapped 1/4-28 straight thread.The fitting is tapered and will seal in about a turn and a half.I just bought an assortment kit of them on the bidding site.Cheap and you will have plenty.If you are missing a grease fitting on the base of a gear reduction steering set up they are tap ins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tankman
1 hour ago, JAinVA said:

Any NAPA.The small ones need to be tapped 1/4-28 straight thread.The fitting is tapered and will seal in about a turn and a half.I just bought an assortment kit of them on the bidding site.Cheap and you will have plenty.If you are missing a grease fitting on the base of a gear reduction steering set up they are tap ins.

:text-yeahthat:

Did the same, good to have on hand :handgestures-thumbupright:.  On the front axle I use a 45 degree zerk. Why?

Have seen too many broken zerk fittings in that location. Thankfully most are easy to remove with a small Easy-Out, also in my tool box.

JAinVA has 'em too I bet. 

OK JA, what grease do you use?

• Like 1

JAinVA

Ground down 1/8"  lathe tool bit to remove  things like broke fittings.Hard and with sharps edges.I like Lucas Tacky Red.

• Like 3