Vinylguy

No fishing till April

Sparky

Similar day here. Fogged the motor, vacuumed out the interior, removed the fuel tank and batteries and wrapped it up. Sure sign that winter is coming :wacko:

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

wh500special

Sad sights to see.  😢

I didn’t get to fish enough this year.  

But, I refuse to put my boat away just yet.  Should still have open water for a good while.  

I live in an awkward weather area. We are between a “real” winter and a “southern” winter.   We get ice, but usually it’s too thin to walk on and too thick to push the boat through.   Although that has been changing the last few years with warmer weather and more open water.  

Thank goodness for power plant lakes.   It’s fun to be out in the boat on a 20 degree day and still be casting for bass or dabbling for crappie.  

Dumbest thing I ever did (debatable) was have the boat out on a day where the high temp was 2 degrees.   The water coming out of the outboard’s pee hole had formed an icicle and putting the boat back on the trailer was an adventure since it had crusted over in ice.  

I left the motor running the whole time we were on the lake since I was afraid it might not start a second time.  

Didn’t catch anything either...line froze to the reels after a couple casts.  

Winter sucks. Don’t give in early!

steve

• Like 3

Sparky

Figured if the boat was done so was the bike...ready for its long winter nap in my basement.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Terry M

Funny that you posted this thread today, Terry....as I put my fishing poles away today, Too ...

My three can't wait until next year!!

IMG_2156.JPG

• Like 7

Achto

Took my last open water trip for the year last weekend. Water temp was at 47 degrees on Fri & dropped 2 more degrees on Sat. I'll be putting my boat in hibernation soon, then it will be time to dust off the ice fishing gear.  

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

I will actually get out and fly fish the trout stream here in Tennessee. You can usually have the river to yourself!

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I worked about a week winterizing mine.    Cleaned and waxed the hull, new bilge pump, desalted the motors,  drained and refilled the lower units, painted the props, drained the fuel tanks, ran a concentration of fuel and sta-bil through the motors, then pulled the plugs and fogged the cylinders.

Just a caution for all boaters.    I removed both fuel tanks for cleaning.   The large tank is aluminum and it cleaned up OK.  The small tank is a 6 gallon steel painted tank.  When I turned it over to dump out all the old fuel, I noticed the paint on the bottom  was blistered , so I decided to paint the tank.   When I scraped the blisters off, I could see holes in the tank.  The tank had rusted through under the paint.  If the tank had leaked the 6 gallon of fuel into the bilge and tripped the bilge pump float switch    :happy-bouncyredfire:   who knows what could have happened.

That steel tank has been replaced with a plastic tank.

She is resting in winter  storage.IMG_0057.JPG.404369c706aa94a3239094f354d2f6e9.JPGIMG_0055.JPG.1ebec3cd5a0ffe6a4c74a6a98c90d485.JPG

Also put a couple horses away for the winter and brought the snow movers home.

IMG_0041.JPG.76cf0dfe7900269bbbb862e56dcf0df4.JPGIMG_0042.JPG.27bae5773a8e86f3ee2b688d4b008379.JPG

• Like 2

wh500special

Geez Ed, Glad you found that the way you did. 

Switching from steel to plastic for these fuel tanks has got to be one of the few times a manufacturer choosing a cheaper material was an all around win. Those old steel 6-gallon tanks clanked around in the boat and left rust stains almost from day one.  

The portable steel tank in our old aluminum jon boat dithered away a couple of rivits on the bottom of the boat after years of vibration. 

You saltwater guys put up with a lot more annoyances than those of us here in the middle of the country.  We’re lucky.  

I don’t expect to wintetize this year.  I might siphon out the bulk of the gas from the tank and refill it, but I’m betting on having run the carbs out of gas to be enough.  That’s on the 4-stroke Honda. 

The E-tec does get fogged automatically.   Just a few sequenced motions of the throttle before and after starting it and the computer does the rest. Awesome feature.  

Sleep well. 

Steve

• Like 1