oliver2-44

Major Texas Hill Country Flooding Today

oliver2-44

IOver the last 48 hours the larger Texas Hill Country has had 8–2” rain. Many areas had 8” from 2am to 8am this morning. Five are rivers have near history breaking flooding Lake  LBJ that I live in has all 10 floodgates open,  went from almost no flow to about 380,000 cubic feet per second in 8. hours. Many homes flooded. Water was within 1” of entering my lower back roo ThNkfully water has dropped about 6”.  A large concrete 2 lane highway bridge at Kingsland just above me on the Llano river collapsed.  Prayers appreciated for everyone around here today. Here done photos of my back yard and what was a 60 ft wide channel to the lake

F9DB8AD8-09CF-4852-89F1-706C0B1588D1.jpeg.fc1146b011d00bc60d761e14aa4d8af4.jpeg

The blue slide is the normal edge of lake channel with water about 3 ft below it 

50485530-FC1E-4435-9F48-9D270D966125.jpeg.a541515a9de9414dee4860ed61007419.jpeg

Water lapping at the top edge of my rear house patio.  God is Good! Is the only thing that has kept water out of house. The main house is. 2 ft  I’ve this and we have a safe way to drive out

Or 

Made a dam at our back door with trash bags filled with water and a 2x4 and tractor weights to push the bags against the door. Thanks for the weights @Chris G

@Ed Kennell Those turbines designed for 80 ft head are running at 40 ft head today due to super high tail water

A4AAFA01-25BE-413E-B435-D4889D391E67.jpeg

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

Wow,  looks like you dodged a bullet Jim.     Glad you are safe and had minimal damage.

Prayers and best wishes for all affected by the storm.

• Like 4

Chris G

I'm glad they helped and I hope you all can stay safe and damage free.

• Like 1

peter lena

beach area in Rhode island I often ride, has transformed itself , 2 years ago major wipe out  of housing , this year many homes are 12/15 feet up on concrete columns, everything is at the home baseline , 12 feet up.  looks a little strange , but the water will just pass under your house. with  thermal warming, this is    only building, I fish in Montana , no more glacier caps ,back side of glacier n/p. I think living by any water base flow is going away. Pete

• Like 1

r356c

Not all of our tax dollars go to waste.  These doggone maps seem to be accurate to the inch of elevation. :huh:

https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home

This is the third site I visit when looking at prospective properties anymore. Prime Florida swampland don't cha ya know? :lol: