JAinVA

Interchange

JAinVA

According to parts tree the upper gear train has the same part numbers between the 1" and 1 1/8" on the later 8speeds.Does anyone know if the upper gear train is the same between the two.

They also show the same part number for things like the axles which I know isn't right.

953 nut

I have salvaged a lot of parts from other three speeds to replace worn gears and shafts in 953 trans axles and the only thing that is different is the differential and axles. If I recall correctly @stevasaurus said the six speed and eight speed internals are the same as the older three speeds.

I know that the 1533 bearings are in all of them as well as the 3523 gear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

Thank you for the reply.The reason I ask is I have a high hour 416 and a really nice transaxle from a low hour 300 series.If the upper gearset is the same I will keep the 1" axled trans for a future rebuild of the 416.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

gwest_ca
8 hours ago, JAinVA said:

According to parts tree the upper gear train has the same part numbers between the 1" and 1 1/8" on the later 8speeds.Does anyone know if the upper gear train is the same between the two.

They also show the same part number for things like the axles which I know isn't right.

If you look farther down the list of parts you should see some item numbers in the illustration are repeated. Most parts lists are shared with similar models so the parts for both are listed but the online lists fail to show what model uses what.

Look at the engine page to see what motors were used in that particular parts list to give an idea of the tractor models involved.

An original parts list has the parts and models identified.

Garry

• Like 1

JAinVA

Thanks Garry!

stevasaurus

Along with what Garry said...those schematics you are looking at cover both the 1" and 1 1/8" axles, they also show that the 1" axles have a 4 pinion differential and the 1 1/8" axles have either the 8 or 10 pinion differentials.  In some cases, that schematic shows an asterisk and either lists a part twice or shows a separate parts picture.  If, when looking at the schematic, a part has the same part number and there is no asterisk...then it is the same part.  I suspect that the cluster gear shaft and the gears on it...and the splined shaft and the gears on that are the same between the 1" and the 1 1/8" axle tranmissions.  :) The part numbers are your best guide.  I have not actually had the different transmissions apart at the same time to verify.  Jim, maybe take pictures and do a thread on what you are doing.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

JAinVA

Thanks for the info stevasaurus.Right now I am not planning to open the 416 box.The tractor was used commercially and has close to 1400 hours on it now.I hate to admit this but I have on more than one occasion banged into the shifter with a big foot when getting on.This is with the engine running so I want have a plan if I need to rebuild the 8speed.If I tear them apart I will do a thread with of course pictures.Thanks again.

• Like 1