moe1965

What is this drill used for

moe1965

What is this drill used for. There is a piece that screws out of the handle that is used to advance the drill bit. It ratchets like a ratchet wrench and there are three detente to choose from that you can see in the picture to select from to position the drill.  There is a point on the opposite end of the drill that I'm guessing is used so you can push it up against something so the drill will cut. That is what the piece that screws out of the handle is for.  I'm guessing it is used to drill holes in ceiling joists.  

20181015_193119.jpg

20181015_193047.jpg

20181015_193055.jpg

• Like 2

WHX??

No idea Moe but it is cool old skool ...nice shop deco!

A guess might be to run knob and tube wiring?

953 nut

One of many angle drills used in the building trades that were available, probably a Millers Falls. Do a :text-google: search and you will probably find one like it.

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

No idea Moe but it is cool old skool

I got very little idea either but I agree with the above thoughts.

Curious to see what the others think as well.

Any numbers on it you can use to look it up as Dick suggested?

• Like 1

wallfish

A Dentist drill

26735f9b-6aa3-459e-a23e-5baa3212d135-320x480.jpeg.2bb1a6e73663ce368d9bb8f2e799669f.jpeg

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, wallfish said:

A Dentist drill

26735f9b-6aa3-459e-a23e-5baa3212d135-320x480.jpeg.2bb1a6e73663ce368d9bb8f2e799669f.jpeg

John you seem like a really nice guy and you come up with some awesome ideas once in a while but....

I really hope

This one

Is dead wrong

:ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I really hope

This one

Is dead wrong

NOPE!

Image result for dentist cartoon           Image result for dentist cartoon  :ychain:

• Haha 2

Mows4three

You guys are all wrong and probably couldn't tell the difference beween the broad side of a barn and a hole in the ground. 

What you have right there in your pictures is one half of a No. 117 left-handed thread, right angle, square hole drilling machine made around 1910 by the Great Necked Blue Pointed Stanley Powerkraft Company.  You can see from the touché marks stamped on the side of it that it was made in their Seneca Falls shops by Irwin Miller.   It was from their Snap-On Craftsman line of mechanics tools.  The only problem with what you have is it is missing some parts.   I don't see the sky hook attachment and because the oil sump is not there you will need the smoke shifter if you are going to run it dry.   

These are are exceedingly rare where I'm from.  In fact they are rare all over (be advised this restaurant will only serve rare meat and undercooked eggs at the diner's own risk).  Most of the ones I know of were found in outhouses.  They were used in the tight quarters of the crapper to drill ventilation holes between the roof rafters at the highest point in the peak of the roof to take advantage of convective currents and create optimum air flow.  It has been theorized by expert tool collectors that these worked so well that the operators just left them there in case they were needed in a hurry. 

The last one I saw was when I was binge watching Antiques Roadshow and eating Cheetos.  The guy found it in a dumpster and thought it might be worth something. The tool appraiser was Chic Sale from the prestigious Boston auctioneers and consignment shop of Goode, Will & Howe.   He got this poor guy's hopes up, then dashed them, telling him that he only had one half of a two-part set.  Poor bastard was reduced to tears.  So was his wife, with tears of joy. She couldn't wait to assail him with an unending stream of "I told you so" all the way back home.  

You should get it mounted by a tool conservator in a hermetically sealed frame with acid free matting.   Conservatively it should be insured for twice the value of your own home and never lent out to your neighbor, who incendently just sold your borrowed hedge clippers last weekend at the community flea market and still has my 100' extension cord.

Good luck with this gem.   You are a lucky guy.  

Dave

• Haha 5

peter lena

looks like something from the 20,s or 30,s , when human life and labor was cheap, I agree with 953 on that search. having been to the tower of London, those dental cartoons are pretty close to what really went on. those molten wax vats , must have been brutal ,before being stuffed into a hole bordering the river Thames, waiting for high tide, good old days , Pete