Pat Marchwick

Starter growl on 520h when first engaged

Pat Marchwick

On my 520h when I first turn the key to start, the starter engages but seems to be cranking slow, and almost growling.  If I stop and immeadatly reengage the starter it seems to crank easier and faster. Any body ever have this problem ?

thank you in advance for your help.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Sounds like the starter Bendix Drive may be a bit worn or have some dirt accumulation. You may want to remove the starter and clean and inspect the Bendix. If it is in good condition use some dry graphite lubricant (any brand) on it, do not use oil as this will attract and hold dirt.

Image result for graphite lubricant

• Like 1

clueless

My 416 with the Onan started doing that awhile back, only had 200 hr on it. Stater looked clean so I hit it with some dry lub, didn't help. Thought it might be an electrical issue :( so off to my local WH guy with 40 years of experience. He called a couple of days later, said it was good to go. He said the starter wasn't getting enough juice to it sometimes, and that the pto safety switch wasn't  always making full contact when the lever was disengaged. He found the pto spring behind the dash had come loose and reconnected it, not as easy as it sounds. Don't know if that's what is was but it's been work just ever since. 

Edited by clueless
  • Like 1