dcdtn

C120 drive belt and clutch

dcdtn

Hello, guys.  First post here. 

I’m trying to replace the drive belt on my dad’s C-120.  I installed a 5/8” W, 82” L Stens replacement belt.  The belt appears to be slack when the clutch is depressed as it was real easy to install, but the clutch will not disengage and there is smoking when I engage the brake to stop the tractor. 

Just wondering if I there are any adjustments that can be made or should I try a longer belt?  There’s is a stop bolt that prevents the clutch pulley from disengaging further.  I assume that is not meant to be adjusted?

Note: about 25 years ago my dad had the original 12 hp Kohler replaces with a  15 hp Kohler CommandPro. We’re not sure if the shaft position is exactly the same as factory, so that might be a factor.  

Im looking forward to getting it working again and spending some time on this forum.  Thanks!  

Ed Kennell

The belt length could certainly be different with a replacement engine.  Can you measure the old belt.  I buy my belts at TSC and when in doubt, buy several lengths and return the ones that do not fit.

Be aware the belt will not disengage if the belt guard is not installed.

• Like 3

wallfish

:WRS:

The slack created in the belt when the pedal is pushed is to allow the belt to slip on the engine pulley.

The belt guard helps support and guide the belt to do this. If you tried without the belt guard installed, try installing it.

• Like 2

dcdtn

Good to know about the belt guard needing to be installed.  Unfortunately, it’s not working even with guard installed.

The belt that was on it was 81” (an inch shorter than factory spec) but it was also narrower at 1/2” and sits further in the pulleys.  It got wedged between the engine and pulley when the PTO belt broke and got entangled with the drive belt   .  We ended up cutting the old drive belt out and now trying to replace with correct width. 

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, dcdtn said:

Hello, guys.  First post here. 

The belt appears to be slack when the clutch is depressed      

and there is smoking when I engage the brake to stop the tractor. 

Just wondering if I there are any adjustments that can be made or should I try a longer belt?  There’s is a stop bolt that prevents the clutch pulley from disengaging further.  I assume that is not meant to be adjusted?

Note: about 25 years ago my dad had the original 12 hp Kohler replaces with a  15 hp Kohler CommandPro. We’re not sure if the shaft position is exactly the same as factory, so that might be a factor.  

Im looking forward to getting it working again and spending some time on this forum.  Thanks!  

You say the belt is loose when you depress the clutch and the belt is still moving with the belt guard in place?   Has the belt guard been altered for the engine conversion?

Are there belt support tabs inside the belt guard  and is the belt on top of the tabs.?     Where is the smoke coming from when you press the brake?

dcdtn
59 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

You say the belt is loose when you depress the clutch and the belt is still moving with the belt guard in place?   Has the belt guard been altered for the engine conversion?

Are there belt support tabs inside the belt guard  and is the belt on top of the tabs.?     Where is the smoke coming from when you press the brake?

Good questions.  I remember a couple of tabs near the engine pulley.  Not real sure where the smoke is coming from but I’ll look more closely.  Will also check to see if the guard has been modified somehow.  Maybe I can find a somewhere of an unmodified one?

I’m a few hours from my dad so it may be a few weeks before I can tinker with it again.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@dcdtn :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: