Tractorhead

Dumbbell weights as wheelweights, anybody tries?

Tractorhead

Hi everybody,

i think about using dubbell weights as wheelweights.

pros and cons about?

My idea is to use dumbbell weights for my small 212 as wheelweights.

the 5Kilo will fits nearly exact into the Rim, if doubled used i get 10 Kilo a Tyre the will be around 22 Punds each Tyre.

with some Rubber from an old Tyre between Tyre and weight, i don't scratch also my Rims,

additionall i can easy "upgrade" to more weight on the Axle without filling some liquid in Tyre or overloads my Axle by put weight on the Rear.

2holes drilled, screwd and "tadaaaa" 

also the cost is less than any used wheelweights.

Now it's your turn Gentlemen, what you are Think about? 

Stefan

Edited by Tractorhead
Misspelling
  • Like 1

The Tuul Crib
18 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Hi everybody,

i think about using dubbell weights as wheelweights.

pros and cons about?

My idea is to use dumbbell weights for my small 212 as wheelweights.

the 5Kilo will fits nearly exact into the Rim, if doubled used i get 10 Kilo a Tyre the will be around 22 Punds each Tyre.

with some Rubber from an old Tyre between Tyre and weight, i don't scratch also my Rims,

additionall i can easy "upgrade" to more weight on the Axle without filling some liquid in Tyre or overloads my Axle by put weight on the Rear.

2holes drilled, screwd and "tadaaaa" 

also the cost is less than any used wheelweights.

Now it's your turn Gentlemen, what you are Think about? 

Stefan

Yeah I had a guy that was going to sell me his weights then he sold them from under me before I could get there go figure ! The 25 pounders measured 11 3/8 in diameter not sure what that is in millimeters. All you have to do is take a piece of flat steel cut it to the diameter of the inside of the wheel and then make your connection for the weights. This is what I'm going to do because the shipping cost is  more than the weights themselves.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Any weight you can bolt on will improve traction.

IMG_7183.JPG.4cf6e1f72d7966a6e6619252a9a7dc95.JPG

• Like 3

Dan693

Lots of opinions on wheel weights. I would make a weight box on the rear hitch. Figure what you want by the size and mix up some 3 dollar bags of concrete and form it to fit the shape.

The nice thing is you can remove them in 30 seconds.

Maybe 100 pounds or so.

Why bolt it when you can just grab them on or off as needed.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I have the tires fluid filled.

Also have 50# of steel per side.

Love the fluid.

It puts all the weight down from the inside and squeezes the tire right to the ground.

I never need to remove the weight from mine but I can see why some would need to.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1

WHNJ701

I knew a guy who made frying pan weights, found 4 matching pans and welded them together, drilled for the mounting holes and sleeved with conduit.  then drilled a fill plug for cement.  they worked well and cost next nothing to make.

• Like 2

Tankman

Try Xtreme. The ends are tapped 1/2-13 for bolts to keep your weights on.

"The plate bolts to your rim and puts the weight to the ground, not on your axle bearings. Holds your weights off of the rim so that you do not scratch them. Plate comes with a 1" or 2" shaft so weight lifting weights work great and are readily available. Must specify shaft size and shaft length on checkout."

http://xtrememotorworks.com/Parts Catalog/Wheel-Weights-Cub-Cadet.html

Wheel-Weigh-Adaptor-003.jpg.973ee3aca0471021f8884fdd79b766f2.jpgWheel-Weigh-Adaptor-004.jpg.7e53decf0d70168e0cb2438365bd664c.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 3

Tankman

Had a pair of brake drums, concrete filled.

Take a tape measure to the scrap yard and get a pair of drums to fit your rims. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Wheel_Weights.jpg.5a98f0f645556cb89fef3deb0df2900e.jpg

• Like 1

ri702bill

I made my own for the front of my 854 8 speed. There is a local guy that buys and resells gym equipment he sells the "broken set" weights for 50 cents a pound.

I made a jig to drill and tap them for the 1/2 inch threaded rod - they can be tough to drill! Like EB, the tires are tubed and filled with windshield washer fluid.

The large diameter also keeps the snow out of the rims. Also made a set for her C series sister.....

Bill

P1010325.JPG

P1010326.JPG

P1010127.JPG

Edited by ri702bill
added more pix
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tankman
2 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

I made my own for the front of my 854 8 speed.

Bill

P1010325.JPG

Nice Horse Bill! Great picture except for the cold white junque!  :ROTF:

Great Stallion!

• Haha 1

shallowwatersailor

Here is a photo of my former 5xi. I used dumbell weights on the 518xi which is closest to the camera. I bought the brackets from a vendor on eBay with a 1" shaft. The advantage was that I could start with smaller weights on the inside of the rim graduating to larger ones outside the wheel. To hold them in place, I used a 1" locking collar and ground a flat onto the shaft for the set screw.

DSCN2884.JPG.e35945216dade13900973f674d4efdc6.JPG

• Excellent 1

Tractorhead

Thanks, 

that will finalize my decition to do it.

ri702bill

Tankman:

Thanks for the comment, yes, she is a tough old girl! I picked her up for a right price locally from the previous owner of a now closed WH Dealership. It was a trade-in, sat outside too long and the rear was full of water- that's why the 8 speed. Not a hard to do swap - same axle as the C81.

Bill