Genuine1979

PTO Rebuild

Genuine1979

So my last event was a sucess. Problem was could not get tractor into gear, any of them. So I tore the trans down (8speed unidrive) with only the schematic and a 10 min youtube video that I skimmed through. The Input gear was worn, 1st/Rev gear worn, 2nd/3rd gear worn, plus detent springs(both) had issues. Now if you just researched all those gears and the prices like I did then you were probably seeing how much a complete tranny cost and started justifying the purchase. Folks, truly I tell you, I spent the cost of premium RTV, cola 12 pk, and $2.34 for the stupid ball bearings for the detent springs. (Super long story...ask if you must). I had the files needed plus the body tack puller. I flied down the lead edges of ALL the gears where the typical burr forms. If anyone is having these issues, I will GLADLY explain how i did it in detail. Sorry for no pics, I was extremely rushed. Send me pics of your gears if you have the same issues or similar issues like wont go into 2nd, 3rd, 1st, Rev, etc. I told you that story to tell you this one...

Initial complaint, "Broke the drive belt" Okay I said, I noticed it was worn maybe it finally let go. Fixed the drive belt, had some spin on the mower deck meaning hey....there is a reason the drive belt broke besides wear right? Upon further inspection the crank key slot is worn and the pulley is moving FORWARD CAUSING THE BELT TO MISALIGN. so my next project is going to be rebuilding the PTO assembly including the crank shaft without the following tasks:

Spending more money than I want to...

Buying new parts except for the friction clutch plate.....I have no time for brass rivets

I will not, I say again, I will not pull the engine....

I truly believe I can fix this whole assembly without pulling the engine....that is my goal

I promise to take and post pics on this one.  Stay tuned with Genuine1979.  A true mechanic can work on anthing.....Gas, Deisel, Big, Small.....HELL, I'm in the GUARD! I can do it ALL!!!!

Edited by Genuine1979
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

:WRS:  and good luck with your project, and you're right, :text-worthless:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Genuine1979
On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 7:41 AM, rjg854 said:

Edited by Genuine1979
There is NO need for PICS! IF YOU are somewhat mechanically incline, I provided you with more than enough detail. Listen to the words when you read them.
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

I agree that you explained very well, and the ball bearing idea is quite crafty.  But I agree with Randy too, as we are picture addict just like we want more tractors.  :handgestures-thumbupright: