RandyLittrell

Anybody on Disability?

RandyLittrell

Guys, I am beat up and spit out and it may be time to try and get on disability. Its not something I want to do, I love what I do, but I am in so much pain everyday. I have had a fusion in my neck, torn ligament in my left sternoclavicular, both knees replaced and currently have 3 herniated discs in my lower back. My shoulders are about gone as well from putting in glass for 32+ years. I have had osteoarthritis as long as I can remember.  

I am not here for sympathy, just would like some insight from anyone who is on disability about the process of getting it. I know it will involve my doctor and I'm sure a lawyer as well. 

Whats the first step guys? I am still working, but the place were I work is not doing well and looking to push me out for some cheaper labor. 

Thanks in advance!! 

Randy

• Sad 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@RandyLittrell Randy I had to take disability in 2006 due to a fractured vertebrate  . Based on my experience here is what I know . You can not be working at any job. A doctor has to write a boat load of stuff explaining you can not work at your profession and may have to include why you can't be trained to do something else.  Get all of this done and go to a law firm that specializes in Social Security Disability Claims. I about drove my self nuts trying to do the work myself. I was turned down the first time. Lawyer got me disability in about 4 weeks. There is a set amount of money that a lawyer can charge for handling your claim.  Social Security will back pay you. Say for example you quit working Nov.1 of this year and it takes 6 months for Social Security to say ok you are disabled. They will back pay you for the entire time. After 2 years of disability you are eligible for Medicare no matter what your age. Are your a veteran ? If so try to get health benefits from the VA.   

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell

Sorry I can't be of help Randy, but it looks like Jim has some good advice.   

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Thats great info Jim! Thanks so much. My Aunt is on disability but she is kind of a flake and I really didn't want to ask her about it. I am 52 and was not in the military. I did know they will back pay, but the insurance is my biggest concern. I just can't be without it, and I still need to have it for me and my kids. Only one kid still at home and she is a senior this year, but need to keep both on for awhile. My wife is a teacher and after all the budget cuts they have had, adding me and the kids on would be very expensive. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell

WHX??

I'd like to help ya Randy but around here old horses go to the glue factory! :deadhorse: What you laughin about Jimbo??? yer next!

Seriously I am in the middle of trying to get my boy on disability due to him having high fuctioning autism. You will be turned down multiple times that I can tell you for sure. You will need medical records beyond no end and must give SS privy to all your medical records so now might be the time to fess up about that sex change operation! :lol: A lawyer is not required but is a must have when a SS judge has to hear your case. Most lawyers fees are limited as Jim mentioned and will charge a percentage of the back settlement so the larger that is the more willing one will be to take your case...go figure. 

Best place to start is at your local SS office and online for more info. They won't care if you used to make 6 figures doing body work but if you can make 6 bucks soda jerking ... yer gonna have a tough row to hoe. Warning by the time yer done SS will mean something from the 1940s!

Sad to say this but after hours of sitting in a SS office with my boy, the endless paper work and the endless parade of people who were just plain too fat & lazy to work and just looking for a free ride or looking to work the system  was disgusting. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

RandyLittrell
18 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

I'd like to help ya Randy but around here old horses go to the glue factory! :deadhorse: What you laughin about Jimbo??? yer next!

Seriously I am in the middle of trying to get my boy on disability due to him having high fuctioning autism. You will be turned down multiple times that I can tell you for sure. You will need medical records beyond no end and must give SS privy to all your medical records so now might be the time to fess up about that sex change operation! :lol: A lawyer is not required but is a must have when a SS judge has to hear your case. Most lawyers fees are limited as Jim mentioned and will charge a percentage of the back settlement so the larger that is the more willing one will be to take your case...go figure. 

Best place to start is at your local SS office and online for more info. They won't care if you used to make 6 figures doing body work but if you can make 6 bucks soda jerking ... yer gonna have a tough row to hoe. Warning by the time yer done SS will mean something from the 1940s!

Sad to say this but after hours of sitting in a SS office with my boy, the endless paper work and the endless parade of people who were just plain too fat & lazy to work and just looking for a free ride or looking to work the system  was disgusting. 

I am overweight, but I have been a go getter my whole life. Thats been the hardest part of not being able to move like I used to. And we had a neighbor down the street that was on disability that homeschooled his kids because he was too lazy to get them there. Thats also hard for me, because I am overweight, I don't want to be accused of being lazy. Anybody that knows me, knows thats not the case, but still. I haven't thrown in the towel yet, but this last month has been rough. The pain is so bad its affecting my homelife and my ability to work in the shop messing with my horses! 

I hope you get your boy the help he deserves, I know it would tough as a parent as well. My wife teaches english in middle school right now and is doing night classes to get her masters in SPED. 

Thanks for the advise! I hope to have my ducks in a row and know what the hell I need to do when it come time to do it. 

Randy

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

With regard to health insurance, I did have an experience that may help you at some point Randy.   

Due to a dispute over vacation, I retired at 62 , took my pension, and began working as a contractor for the same company without any benefits.

Under the COBRA law, I was able to keep my company group policy for two years. Of course I had to pay the full amount, but it was about two times what I was paying while I was an employee,  around $300/month for pretty good health insurance for Mrs. K and myself.

That ended when I was 64, so I had to buy insurance for another year.  That cost me $1100, month and that was for a lousy $7500 deductible policy.

I was then 65 and eligible for Medicare.

My wife was 6 months from being 65, and that is when I learned there is a "short term health insurance available.  The cost for this was $100/month.

Just some info if you end up in this situation.

OH, like Jim said, good luck with the SS system.   

I made the mistake of taking their suggestion and enrolled for SS and Medicare on line three months before my  65th birthday.

Someone dropped the ball and it took me many hours waiting in line at the SS office to get it resolved.

• Like 5

Jerry77

Do as much as possible in person and keep copious notes of times and dates and NAMES and facts of each interview with whoever, including your lawyer..notes written at the time (or close to ) are admissible in court ( where if you get there will be your best protection. ) A small journal would be invaluable...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

On the job is a lot different then off the job for one thing.  Also, the laws may be a little different in your state.  I think the first thing is to talk to your doctor...they should have an idea of how it works for your situation, and they may also know what the next step is.  The best advise I read above...take excellent notes including dates, times, phone numbers & extentions and names of who you talk with.  :eusa-think:

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

Thanks for all the advise! I am not giving up yet, but I can see the writing on the wall and I don't want to wait till I am all the way down to start figuring out what to do. 

Randy

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Yesterday was my 30th wedding anniversary and I also went and talked with a lawyer and took the first step to file disability! The last month of my life has been a miserable existence!!! 

I know it will be a long haul and I am gonna have to get rid of some extra crap to recoup some money, but so be it! 

Randy

• Like 1

Goldnboy

My wife has not worked for 3 years and has fibromyalgia and pretty can't do anything and we have been turned down for Disability twice and now we got a lawyer and was are waiting now and due  for a court appeal in January. We have a  Dr note saying inability to work, but our Attorney has been PITA since initial meeting.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
5 hours ago, Goldnboy said:

My wife has not worked for 3 years and has fibromyalgia and pretty can't do anything and we have been turned down for Disability twice and now we got a lawyer and was are waiting now and due  for a court appeal in January. We have a  Dr note saying inability to work, but our Attorney has been PITA since initial meeting.

That sucks!! I hope you get approved soon! 

Randy

Firsttimer

I took copies of all paperwork that had to be filled out and returned, every time you talk to someone get their name and job title and phone extension,very seldom does a person get SS the first time they apply, a lot of time they ask you the same question three different ways and always answer them the same as close as you can, use your copies to help in answering questions when reapplying and remember to keep your answers as short and sweet as you can .

Good luck !

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Be sure to find out what will happen to your benefits once you reach age 62.  Will the government just say that you get regular Social Security payments at that time?  Will those payments be much less than disability payments you would receive today? It is something you need to know just to be able to plan for it.  Being realistic, ten more years of pain every day will take its toll and I feel and have felt your pain.

Also, I wonder if you hurt yourself on the job if workers Comp would be more like it?  Maybe your employer would be required to give you lighter duty because of your condition.. Not trying to tell you what to do, but just want you to explore what is best for you and your wife..Remember that you are a team and that you can live on less.

I got cancer 10 years ago and the chemo [saved my life] really makes me hurt yet today. I did make it to full retirement age, but only did so because i was self employed.  Now I can pick and choose what jobs I will do, but this year has me very busy because of lack of guys doing remodeling when new construction is much more exciting...

Do the best you can and pray for wisdom if you are so inclined.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I receive disability payments until I reach full retirement age, then I got full retirement benefits.  One benefit of SS disability is you qualify for Medicare no matter your age.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88

I have VA disability for service connected issues. I can attest to needing to keep copies, do as much in person as you can, and don’t wait for people to get ahold of you. The biggest thing is being proactive.

when dealing with the government in any capacity where they have to pay you, they will drag their feet in hopes that you give up in disappointment, stay the course, don’t be over bearing, but make it so that your POCs know who you are when they answer the phone/ see your face. 

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Thanks for all the help guys! Seems like I have a lot going on right now. Checking on insurance, transfering my 401k and getting money stuff in order, filling out paperwork.  

My lawyer thinks I shouldn't have any problem being approved after hearing what all surgerys I have had and current problems, but its just matter of waiting. Good news is I have enough funds to last awhile so we will make it. My wife is actually pretty happy about me taking care of the house and have meals ready when she gets home! She is a teacher and works pretty damn hard and has always thought I make a better housewife than she does! 

Randy

• Like 2

LengerichKA88
42 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

Thanks for all the help guys! Seems like I have a lot going on right now. Checking on insurance, transfering my 401k and getting money stuff in order, filling out paperwork.  

My lawyer thinks I shouldn't have any problem being approved after hearing what all surgerys I have had and current problems, but its just matter of waiting. Good news is I have enough funds to last awhile so we will make it. My wife is actually pretty happy about me taking care of the house and have meals ready when she gets home! She is a teacher and works pretty damn hard and has always thought I make a better housewife than she does! 

Randy

My disability allows me to stay home with our 3yo and 9mo, and yes I do the laundry, cook the meals, and all the other house work that goes along with being a “Trophy Wife”😂

she does too when she can, but I try to shoulder as much of the “Home” burden as I can so she doesn’t have to leave work to come home to more work.  We get up within 20-30 minutes of eachother usually, and I’m usually up hours after she is, making sure the monster stay away, sippy cups have water, and night lights are on. 😂😂

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

My kids are 20 and 17 now, but growing up, I was the one that got the kids up and fed them and got em ready for school. It just worked out better that way. I am a morning person and my wife is really not!

Randy

• Haha 1

LengerichKA88
2 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

My kids are 20 and 17 now, but growing up, I was the one that got the kids up and fed them and got em ready for school. It just worked out better that way. I am a morning person and my wife is really not!

Randy

Opposite around here, and the kids take after dad 😂

mornings are very quite the first hour or so, until everyone wakes up. 

Keep us posted on how things work out for you, 🤞🏻It all works out. 

• Like 1

Goldnboy

Well after 3 years and 2 appeals with social security we got approved for Disability benefits today ! It is just slow process!

• Like 1

bc.gold
On 10/13/2018 at 8:00 AM, Jerry77 said:

Do as much as possible in person and keep copious notes of times and dates and NAMES and facts of each interview with whoever, including your lawyer..notes written at the time (or close to ) are admissible in court ( where if you get there will be your best protection. ) A small journal would be invaluable...

Yea and any papers you need to submit have a copy for your file and have the office rubber stamp date and time received. Try to avoid telephone communications force a paper trail.

• Like 1

bc.gold
On 10/12/2018 at 8:22 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@RandyLittrell Randy I had to take disability in 2006 due to a fractured vertebrate  . Based on my experience here is what I know . You can not be working at any job. A doctor has to write a boat load of stuff explaining you can not work at your profession and may have to include why you can't be trained to do something else.  Get all of this done and go to a law firm that specializes in Social Security Disability Claims. I about drove my self nuts trying to do the work myself. I was turned down the first time. Lawyer got me disability in about 4 weeks. There is a set amount of money that a lawyer can charge for handling your claim.  Social Security will back pay you. Say for example you quit working Nov.1 of this year and it takes 6 months for Social Security to say ok you are disabled. They will back pay you for the entire time. After 2 years of disability you are eligible for Medicare no matter what your age. Are your a veteran ? If so try to get health benefits from the VA.   

L1, L2 and shaken baby neck injury for me. Was accidentally dropped from a hose as an infant.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

RandyLittrell

I received word that I was approved last week and the first check hit the bank this weekend!! Thanks for all your guys help! I feel getting my lawyer before I applied did help and I had a lot of medical records on my side as well. My lawyer told me she was impressed with how I dug up all records they needed and quickly. I have seen the same doctor for 20 years, so that makes it easy as well. 

This takes a heavy load off my mind, you won't get rich on it, but we can survive now and it will get better when I can receive medicare. I am paying $705 a month for insurance now with a high deductable. 

Randy

• Like 1