littleredrider

rebuild briggs, kohler 8 or 16 horse?

littleredrider

So the 606 that was given to me has an older Briggs 8 horse on it. It runs good, but smokes. Also the hood was trimmed to clear the air filter. Luckily it was "sliced" so can be put back and welded. Eventually want to repower it, either with a Kohler 8 horse, or after reading 82Caddy's post, getting a 16 horse and shoehorning it under the hood. I swapped to an 8-speed, and don't plan on doing anything crazy, hopefully a snow blower, and have both types of hitches for a rear plow. Only experience I have with a Kohler was an 8 horse on a lawn ranger. Torque is crazy with such a small motor. I found one for $100, but keep going back to the 16 horse. I think I have an excessive power addiction lol....

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I'm not sure if it's necessary to refer to it as an excessive power addiction.

:lol:

Now really, don't we all want to give ourselves the best possible opportunity for running ground engaging equipment or pulling on the heaviest load possible?

I have to admit I do have quite a liking for those little 8 horse Kohler engines.

Trina's 657 currently has an 8 horse Briggs & Stratton from a 1979 snowblower. It runs and drives quite well but it just doesn't quite have that same grunt that you speak of like a Kohler 8 does.

What could possibly be better than a Kohler 8? I don't know... A Kohler 16??

littleredrider

im really impressed just what the 8 horse briggs can do. I have a lawn roller that weighs about 11-1200 pounds filled with water. Most of my yard has a slight slope, and this lil thing will pull it up and down no problem, and not even wide open, maybe not even half throttle. I'm kinda scared to go more than 1/2, since the hood starts to rattle, and I don't know the motor. The governor works great, it raises throttle when it needs, puffs some smoke and pulls. I found a Kohler 8 horse magnum with recoil, for $100 can't go wrong. I only found one 16 horse, can get whole tractor for $200, but I think if I bring another tractor home girl friend gonna kill me!!!! I'm gonna shoot the guy an email and see if he sell just the motor. Rolling chassis with an 8-speed is still an easy $100 all day long. If it wasn't  painted all stupid it prolly be gone by now. If I go that route, just hope I can find the right oil pan, way too many on evilbay…..

rjg854

I've got a 12 hp and a 16hp and to tell the truth, I prefer the 8hp over either of them.  Maybe it's nothing to do with the power of them,  it's most likely due to the manuver ability. 8hp has plenty of grunt to push snow and is real easy on gas. I truly enjoy these little tractors. But I am looking forward to that 16hp with a tall chute blower to see what it can do. 

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, littleredrider said:

Rolling chassis with an 8-speed is still an easy $100 all day long

if you can get ahold of a 16 horse with an 8-speed in it for $200 you better run right over there with cash in hand

That engine is worth two or three hundred dollars by itself

The transmission is worth 150 to $175 all by itself

Buy it and part it out or donate the chassis to another member. Plenty of people out there around the New York state area.

littleredrider

After I made the other post I went looking for it, and can’t find it. So it either sold or is gonna try again. It’s been up for awhile, and isn’t too far from me, but the green stuff has been coming up short, and I don’t mean the grass, so been holding off. Gonna look for it again, if not the 8 horse is available. For now lol...

• Like 1