bc.gold

Trading Post aka Landfill

bc.gold

After stopping at Vern's Ag and the library to pick up a few books we visited the landfill.

This stainless steel tank with a working pressure of 130 psi will make the perfect still for my essential oil project. It even has a place for a heating element near the bottom of the tank.

Nice and clean inside.

1tank.png

2tank.png

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold

Not sure what the white things are but decided to grab them for the cam lock fittings and the hose clamps and other fittings..

camlocks.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 4

bc.gold

Vern's Ag for a couple of pipe crops, these are made from AR ( abrasive resistant ) plate and will be used to make a couple of centrifuges, one for cleaning waste veggie oil. To make clean fuel for the Lister generator.

A second one for prospecting.

The spindles that these completed bowels will be mounted on came from a commercial grade mower.

centrifuge.png

• Like 4

DET

Any idea what was in the tank or run through the fittings? Being as they were at the landfill they shouldn’t have had hazardous materials through them but you never know. I maybe overly cautious but from my work experience these are the kind of things I think of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold
20 minutes ago, DET said:

Any idea what was in the tank or run through the fittings? Being as they were at the landfill they shouldn’t have had hazardous materials through them but you never know. I maybe overly cautious but from my work experience these are the kind of things I think of.

No clue what passed through any of the fittings or what was in the tank, the most hazardous chemical found on the prairies is roundup and its claimed that it breaks down over time.

The fittings will be used for the oil cleaning, Mr; Lister won't mind, and the tank t build a distillation unit for a bit of essential oils that I need for a floatation cell.

The heat from the steam used to distill the oils will probably degrade any chemical residue if any is present in short order, the oils  from the still will not be used for aromatic therapy.

bc.gold

Nice platinum crystals from one of my experiments.

crystals.png

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

I have picked up a lot of things from our city dump, also known around here as the Country Store. One of my best scores was an old Montgomery Ward's riding mower...took it home out gas in and it ran like a champ...still using it to mow around the farm. This sign was my latest find...thought it was cool since my Grandpa started his working career with Northern Natural, then at Enron, then back to Northern before finally retiring from DCP Midstream. Soon it will be hanging on the wall in the shop.

IMG_20181014_123313.jpg

• Like 4

bc.gold

Went for transmission fluid for the Allis 720 when I spotted something in the metal bin at the tire shop, turned out to be an air compressor head. Ingersoll Rand T30 they said I could have it.

Never asked why they discarded it, turns over and pushes air, from my quick observation one of the V-belts was running loose which means the air head was misaligned.

When and of my Quincey ever gives up the ghost I'll have a spare.

One time I purchased a nice Webster from a garage, when the 5 horse burnt out they had replaced it with a 3 horse with a smaller pulley and since the unit was also mounted up high no one ever drained the tank. 

That 80 gallon tank was two thirds full of water leaving no capacity for air, and this was a truck stop.

The farm has their big Ingersoll Rand compressor with a 120 gallon tank mounted up high as well but they at least installed and automatic water discharge on the tank

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 3

bc.gold

More treasures from yesterdays trip, the small sprayer tank once cleaned will be converted into a gear lube dispenser.

Restaurant oil for the Lister.

Grey metal box has a magnetic start switch and fuses inside, 110/220 volt. Not sure yet what horse power the mag switch will handle, hoping for 5.

tank.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

You guys are amazing.  We have a dump here, but there is no going in a grabbing stuff.  I would have to ride around the neighborhood on garbage day to be that lucky.   :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vinylguy

Altona Illinois is 4 miles from my home town of Oneida. My best friend Doc Mills and I were just out of High school and always scouting the Town dump for anything we could use.

Best find was a 1958 ford retractable. We knew the guy hauling it to the dump and 30 minutes later we drug it home behind Ole Blue. Doc's 1954 F-100. We had big plans for it but then Doc was shipped off to Vietnam

and everything changed. I went to work on the Burlington Northern and got married. Doc unfortunately spent the next 14 Months in Hell. As I think about it now, those days cruising  the dumps for treasures and dreaming of what we

might build with the cool stuff we scavenged were some of the greatest times of our lives. Sure miss the the good ole days. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold
On 10/13/2018 at 7:23 AM, bcgold said:

No clue what passed through any of the fittings or what was in the tank, the most hazardous chemical found on the prairies is roundup and its claimed that it breaks down over time.

The fittings will be used for the oil cleaning, Mr; Lister won't mind, and the tank t build a distillation unit for a bit of essential oils that I need for a floatation cell.

The heat from the steam used to distill the oils will probably degrade any chemical residue if any is present in short order, the oils  from the still will not be used for aromatic therapy.

Any tanks or fittings could be treated with hydrogen peroxide to decontaminate residual pesticides or other possible nasties.

Interesting read and has many uses, http://www.h2o2.com/products-and-services/us-peroxide-technologies.aspx?pid=112&name=Hydrogen-Peroxide

H2O2 is Versatile

The fact that hydrogen peroxide is used for seemingly converse applications proves its versatility. For example, it can inhibit microbial growth (as in the biofouling of water circuits) and encourage microbial growth (as in the bioremediation of contaminated groundwaters and soils). Similarly, it can treat both easy-to-oxidize pollutants (iron and sulfides) and difficult to oxidize pollutants (solvents, gasolines and pesticides).

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

Dismal pickings, the scrap guy had been to three of the dumps we visit and all the metal piles were gone with just bare ground showing. Picked up this pair of old Clinton chainsaws, both still turn over.

Without spark arrestors, forestry would probably boot you out of the woods.

The white glass will be broken up then ball milled into powder as a fluxing ingredient - silica. For smelting precious metals from placer black sand. The flux is sold premixed as Chapman's Flux, but I prefer to use local ( cheap ) resources.

c1.png

c22.png

c33.png

c44.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 2

bc.gold

Me and the better half are off to the landfill this upcoming Saturday hoping to get  truck load of usable wood scraps, after 35 years have decided to get back into keeping a few bee hives. And I'm going to do it the cheapest way possible.

To get reacquainted with the terminology had a lengthily telephone call with a buddy in BC, Don told me that it;s best to have a minimum of four hives to start out with also said that my location was excellent as the commercial guys are not exporting their hives to other provinces importing mites and other pests on the return thus maintaining the health of my apiary would be easier.

Bee keeper in BC are getting $200.00 to pollinate a crop and they have three different crops coming in at different dates, this is good money for the bee keeper but not so good for those buying up the hives at the end of the pollinating season. What your likely to get is half dead bees from all those insecticides.

When I had my two hives I had purchased packaged bees, that package today would cost me $231.00 CDN, anyhow me and another friend went out a collected a few swarms the bees are very docile at this point and you can scoop them up with your bare hands. Boomhower was allergic to bees so it was my job to do the gathering.

This round I thought I would be going it alone but Pat much to my surprise has taken a great interest in the insect project, when she was a kid her nick name was Bones with her collection should have been either a taxidermist or a mortician.

Back to the bees, this time instead of waiting  for a swarm to appear will built some swarm rraps and let the bees come to me, enjoy the video.

rmaynard

Unfortunately, our county landfill does not allow scavenging. I hate to go there anymore for fear of what I might see and can't have. :disgust:

• Sad 2

bc.gold
10 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Unfortunately, our county landfill does not allow scavenging. I hate to go there anymore for fear of what I might see and can't have. :disgust:

On a recent trip someone had discarded a John Deere walk behind snowblower that had the older Briggs engine the whole thing looked decent but left it for someone else which is only a thought to appease my mind of guilt.

I now only bring something home if I have an immediate use for it or see something of value like this WWII flame thrower that sold on ebay a few years back, it was purchased by a fellow who participates in reenactments.

https://i.postimg.cc/rwbtRQPR/life.png

bc.gold

Three sites visited, came home with one full sheet 5/8" plywood that has 2x4's screwed around the perimeter, one 220 volt shop heater with a noisy bearing on the fan motor and six of these electric actuators.

elec.png

• Like 1

bc.gold

On our way back home stopped in at the farm leaving the boys a bit of Christmas cheer, 3000 ml bottle of Appleton Rum. Richard one pf the brothers was there installing snow tracks onto a Jeep getting it ready for some ice fishing.

appleton.png

snow.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

bc.gold

Last minute shopping and a quick trip to the landfill, nice American made barrel pump the small deep fryer hopefully will become my Ultrasonic cleaner.

The GPI diaphragm pump maybe used to transfer fuel or as a vacuum pump to prime a shallow well or a pond water pump

dpump1.png

dpump2.png

dpump3.png

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

Picked up a roadside emergency kit yesterday from the landfill just for the nice copper battery clamps, here's the compressor that was inside the unit.

The little silver colored thingy connected to the red lead was secured to the outside of the permanent magnet motor, it's for thermal protection

Thermal protection units are made from bi-metals bonded together each metal has a different expansion rate when heated and the metal most reactive will bend the lessor of the two reactive metals into an arc lifting the silver alloy contact away from its mate thus breaking the electrical circuit.

When the motor equipped with thermal protection cools down the lesser reactive metal on cooling will bend back into position once again completing the electrical circuit,

On your tractors you'll know these as circuit breakers that automatically reset themselves .

Thermostatic Bimetals are one of the most widely applied families of clad metals. But, what is Thermostatic Bimetal? In its basic form, Thermostatic Bimetal is two metals with different coefficients of thermal expansion (CTE) that are bonded together. It is this difference in CTE of the component metals that give Thermostatic Bimetals their unique property of bending or curving as a result of an exposure to change in temperature, which make it useful in any application where it is desirable to sense and react as a function of temperature.

Screenshot-from-2018-12-29-16-42-52.png

comp1.png

comp2.png

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

Two Yashica 35mm cameras from the landfill.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Stormin

You can't take anything from the recycling depots over here. Rather daft in my opinion. If there's something you can use, then isn't that recycling.

bc.gold

Awesome day at the landfill, someone tossed a bunch of cantilever shelving.

ss1.png

ss2.png

• Like 1

formariz
26 minutes ago, bcgold said:

Awesome day at the landfill, someone tossed a bunch of cantilever shelving.

Those are the real heavy duty standards and brackets, not cheap at all. Good find.

bc.gold

Saturday we packed a lunch then went on a road trip visiting two sites, not much in the way of pickings just a few old computers one X-Box and one Nintendo. All of which will get torn down, If anyone is interested in the Nintendo Game Cube 1019 memory card pm me with your mailing address, I'll drop the card into an envelope then post it.

Offer good until March 28th 2019

Spoiler