ohiofarmer

Not Now! Raider Ten is down no compression.

ohiofarmer

We were mowing the other night and the engine just quit. I was having some fuel related issues or so I thought.  The finger over the spark plug hole shows little promise, after first checking for spark.  Maybe I can get the newer 12 horse up, but that one has a no spark issue.  I guess my best hope is a valve issue, but I guess I need a troubleshoot tree that might offer a simple fix, or in the alternative gives me reason to push on with the no spark issue on the K i2

• Sad 1

pfrederi

Sudden onset assuming you didn't throw a rod is a valve getting stick or some carbon jamming it open.  What is wrong with K12...spark may be quicker easier fix

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Is the 12 a magnum or is it a K-series ?

Dan693

I had a Raider 10 with the Tecumseh. Nothing but trouble and cost me endless hours of labor and a fair amount of money.

Governor, carb, and valve problems. Sold it just to stop the pain.

Flip side is I have a Lawn Ranger with a 6 Tech and it couldn't run better. Look at the key start and it purrs.

Who knows?

ohiofarmer

both engines are the old K series cast iron..   I thought that I was on my way with the 12. It had run before and pretty sweet.  I found it not connected at the ammeter and corrected that. It still was not hot at the coil + feed, so I put a jumper wire on it. Still no spark with a timing light. Have not checked the points yet.  Those individual wires are tough to chase down once they enter the loom.

I hope that it is good news with the carbon sticking the valves instead of a bad connecting rod. It did come on suddenly --just felt like running out of fuel.

• Confused 1

ebinmaine

I'd lean towards fixing and installing the Kohler 12.

I agree that the no spark issue might likely be an easy ish fix.

And... More torque and power after installing.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Pulled the head off the Raider10 and there is a slot cut in the side of the piston about the thickness of the ring groove.  It is as if all the ring gaps were aligned and someone took a torch and melted a quarter inch keyway into the piston.  The kohler  12 ---well I guess that I will swap the coil and condenser out of the Raider and see what happens. I need to get a picture posted.

There is a very nice 400 series XI for sale at a dealer with a deck and push blade for $1600.00   I could afford it, but..... My trouble is most of the time I have more time than money, Just because I have some saved does not mean I want to spend it.

ebinmaine

Farmer there will be more than enough of us willing to help you get that 12 on there and running.

Personally, I would stick with the older one anyway. I just prefer the style of them and I find them much easier to work on than anything made after about 1985 or so. Maybe even a little earlier.

Mind you that's just MHO.

:ph34r:

Post up some pics and let's see what we can do......

:D

ohiofarmer

I am looking at a 12 horsepower tractor and mower tomorrow at a really good price.  It might be a good tractor by itself or be a great engine donor. We will see.   I never wanted to be where I am right now--down to fixing a tractor just to get me by.   This winter will see at least three good runners with good decks and bearings and blades.

In thinking about it, it may just be a failed coil or condenser needs swapped from the raider to the 12 horse. .  At least I can test and compare wiring harnesses between the two..I promise to get back to you guys when I know enough to ask an intelligent question

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ohiofarmer

image.png.5f113bfca32749fdce5393cfa128406d.png I bought this one today, advertised as runs well and mows well.  Nope.  The seller knew I was coming 130 miles to see it and then he gave me the 'bad" news that probably the coil was bad because of a weak spark.  So I told him that I already spent a good deal of time coming to see it and maybe I would just cut my losses. He dropped the price to $150 and I figured it was worth it.  The 12 horsepower engine advertised was a twin to the Raider Ten and it has the foot stirrups and a gearbox that is not hi-low select. Also a Two spoke wheel.  Maybe you guys know what it is [he says 1967 model, but who knows? Maybe a 1057???..i am pretty tired tonight, but perhaps if I clean the points on my 12HP or trade out a known working coil and condenser, good things will happen.

He also had a fresh barn find BSA motorcycle with a triple cylinder engine, said to be a 1948.  My buddy Jay is a Nut for the old ones, so maybe we can take a trailer and pick up both...

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

150 and I figured it was worth it.

You did perfectly fine with that.

Parts alone are worth more than what you have in it.

• Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

I decided to just take it one component at a time because of the no spark issue. The 12Horsepower came out of an 8 speed no name that was well patina'd but ran well. i regret tearing it down to paint it, but oh, well.   I bought a c141 that is in nice shape, sort of running, but with an egg shaped cylinder.  After other things took me away from the repaint project, the 141 was the logical choice for a running tractor. So now we have a c-141 with a 12 horsepower that tested out OK, but not completed, and it sat around. It did start and run fine and the rear axle seals were refurbed. That is the background and now for the step by step "logical" troubleshooting i am doing. for the no spark.. Actually it does spark one time at the points after I release the ignition switch, so here goes...

1. File the points.....Nope

2.  Replace the spark plug wire and spark plug....Nope

3.replace the condenser.

4.Replace the coil...Nope

5. Suspect that the thing is grounding out from some safety switch. check the seat safety for function..Nope

6. Push in the clutch to see if the auto transmission lever is hooked to a safety switch        Houston, we have Liftoff!!!

All this proves that if your are not smart, you need to be persistent. Go ahead and laugh and learn from my mistake. I should have posted the thing about the spark making only after releasing the key after cranking. you guys would have probably spotted it right off....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

posifour11

I'm sure we've all done it. I know I sure have. 

I once pulled an engine out of a good running Ford ranger because the catalytic converter was clogged. The amount of cussing involved (before, during and after) would put a weak sailor in a catatonic state. I'm still mad at myself 20+ years later. :oops: