Ed Kennell

New Neighbors

Ed Kennell

An Amish family bought the farm behind me last fall.

678827547_IMG_0123(1).JPG.aa0adca1b1cef47529efc4e3cfab98e3.JPG

They drilled a few wells last winter.

IMG_0005.JPG.30b68f96695d9e3700f2bf00fa8d6409.JPG

They left the previous farmer continue to lease the ground until they were ready to farm themselves.

Last month the construction of the house, barn, and greenhouse began and was soon visible above  the corn.

IMG_0036.JPG.372051e5366d8f3cfb106bba0bcc9189.JPG

After living here 51 years, my view is changing.

IMG_0037.JPG.c0572637398209711b80bf9122241c44.JPGIMG_0039.JPG.66a8a9f83b9b9f3d2ecab246c860adbe.JPGIMG_0039.JPG.5e1e7b343374f678117c45c409c8403c.JPG

• Like 5

SPINJIM

You'll probably see fewer deer also.   The Amish tend to shoot any critter that moves, in season or out, claiming it's crop protection.

I guess there could be worse things to spoil your view,  like a large development of houses that all look the same.  And the Amish won't have any bright lights to shine in your windows late at night.

Jim

• Like 3

squonk

A friend of mine had built a little cabin on his wooded land. He had Amish and Mennonites with farms on both sides of his land. They kept cutting down trees along his property  to make their fields bigger. He had to keep calling the police. The farmers kept claiming ignorance and within a short time would cut more trees down. He finally gave up, sold his land to his father and moved to Texas.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

520hC-120

I like the Amish very much. Usually very nice people.

• Like 2

953 nut

Glad to see that a good buffer was left between your house and theirs. They probably will maintain the land in agriculture and chances are they won't be playing loud music at all hours of the night.

• Like 3

clueless

Could have been a Walmart.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Jerry77
9 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

After living here 51 years, my view is changing.

Bummer  Ed...I don't like encroachment either....:handgestures-thumbdown:

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Sorry for loss of your view , but it sure beats a Walmart or a huge subdivision in your back yard.

• Like 3

squonk
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Glad to see that a good buffer was left between your house and theirs. They probably will maintain the land in agriculture and chances are they won't be playing loud music at all hours of the night.

I know the Amish are normally docile but the Mennonite kids around here are pretty wild. Booze parties all the time. My wife used to work in a st. park and one night a car comes thru ripping through the playground, camping area, volleyball courts ect. Park police took off after them. 4 Mennonite girls bombed out of their minds.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

AMC RULES

Ànother episode of them crazy Mennonite girls gone wild...

live from Waterloo.  :sleeping-yellow:

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Seems I might have stirred some opinions (good and bad) of the Amish folk.     I don't agree with some of their philosophy as at times it appears hypocritical, but I have had pretty good relationships with those I have dealt with.

I have seen them hire a high tech engineering firm to do a seismic study of the farm creating a geological map of the water table to find the perfect location of the wells to irrigate the farm and greenhouse.   When I questioned the owner about the long distance the wells were located from the greenhouse and the large pumps that would be required to move the water, he explained they use compressed air to power almost all their equipment and the well casings are sealed and pressurized.   No pumps are used, the water is pushed by the compressed air.  Yesterday, they moved two large propane tanks near the barn. I assume the compressor will be driven by a propane fueled engine.   I hope they have a good nelson muffler on the engine as it will probable see 24/7 duty.

I am impressed watching the 2-6 men build the house and 40'X80' barn in 4 weeks.   Both were stick built on site with the exception of the barn roof trusses.

Yes, the deer population will suffer and my view is changing, but I have been assured I can continue to maintain and use the 1/4 mile of right-of-way as I have for 50+years.

And this change is certainly better than a housing development , industry park, or commercial hog farm.

Another 164 acres of this same farm will be auctioned off next Saturday and due to the large amount of road frontage,  I am afraid it will be developed.  This parcel is located directly across the road from me.  I'll post more pics as this develops.  

Thanks for following along ….

• Like 5

squonk

I got a couple of commercial hog farms a few miles south of me. Still too close. Another planet would be better.:)

• Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Another 164 acres of this same farm will be auctioned off next Saturday

All we can do is hope and pray another young Amish farmer comes along.             :eusa-pray:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

All we can do is hope and pray another young Amish farmer comes along.             :eusa-pray:

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to happen Dick.    

I see several developers are researching the township zoning laws.  The large amount of road frontage will be valuable to the developers and not for the Amish farmers.

It will be interesting as the township line passes directly through the center of the property.  The township on the North side has very strict zoning laws and my township on the South side has very lenient restrictions.

Some data on the cost of land on this farm;

I bought my lot from the current owners Grandfather in 1967 for $1200/acre.

The Amish farmer that bought the 38acre field behind me in 2017 paid $472,000.00.

I suspect the 164 acres being auctioned next Saturday will bring $3,000,000.00

• Sad 1