Moostang

Restore or not

Retired Wrencher

Moostang  :WRS: What I use to do on old tractors like your families, is clean it up best you can and rub in some Marvel oil on it to keep it from rusting. Put it on some what heavy, then rub in after a while It will bring back some color. There is other ways to do it but I take easy way out. I mean it is a survivor and a worker, unless you want to make it into a trailer queen. Enjoy what ever you decide.

• Excellent 1

953 nut

:WRS:

That is a wonderful survivor with a strong family story, don't obliterate all of that with a paint job!  If you want to preserve the patina one method used by lots of people is to use steel wool and WD-40 to clean off the surface contaminants and allow the remaining Red Paint to shine.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: @Moostang!

that is one fine original tractor you’ve got, and great back story as well!  My vote is to clean up the wheels, polish up the tins and maybe find a seat cover replacement, and enjoy what you have.  Everybody has their own special way of wet sanding or preserving paint, from oil to soapy water, with some 600+ grit sand paper to cut the rust and polish the paint.  Regardless, enjoy what you have.  I think it’ll be easier for you to remember growing up on it just cleaned up, instead of restored.

• Excellent 3

Chris G
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: @Moostang!

that is one fine original tractor you’ve got, and great back story as well!  My vote is to clean up the wheels, polish up the tins and maybe find a seat cover replacement, and enjoy what you have.  

I second this and that is a very nice survivor you got and awesome family history with it.

• Excellent 2

LengerichKA88

That’s a nice tractor, and cool that you know all the history behind it! It’ll be inteeresting to see what direction you take it! 

clueless

Some here like to restore them,

some like to keep the patina,

then there are those who customize,

Me I like sleepin, Specially in my Mollys chamber

Just get it running and enjoy it like it is.

Edited by clueless
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Give that horsey  a well deserved rub down.  I use a maroon scotch- brite pad  to remove the loose rust, then rub in any oil.    Maybe a new saddle would be nice.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I appreciate I survivor now as much as I do a restored one. If it is in good shape like yours is then I say clean it up and leave it the way it is. I have an RJ58 that is in bad shape cosmetically that will be getting a full resto for that very reason, but if it was not all beat up, I'd leave it alone.

Mike

Edited by Mike'sHorseBarn
  • Like 2

Mows4three

If I could chime in.......   it's ultimately what you want to do with it.   Parades or shows mean an investment in parts, paint and time.   My tastes run to a tractor's original work clothes.  

I have a few Wheel Horses, Whites and International garden and full size tractors at my home and at the farm.  Only one of my tractors  (my 312-8) is somewhat shiny and that's because it came that way from a gentleman who maintained it very well over the years.  The rest of my tractors are in different stages of "arrested deterioration."  I fix what's broke, paint when necessary, add oil and grease the hell out of them.   Works for me. 

Follow your own instinct but but remember that once you do a half a$$ resotoration, you can't go back to "original" ever again.   The most important things are you are happy with it and find enjoyment in whatever process or degree of restoration/fix 'em up that you choose. 

Just my my two cents worth.   

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_4123.JPG

• Like 3

oliver2-44

Nice original patina tractor. some here also like to completely disassemble, make any needed repairs, lightly wet sand to remove some rust and bring some red back, then apply several coats of clearcoat.  I would keep it original looking, but what ever you do make it your own, and keep the family history alive. 

• Like 2

roadapples

@buckrancher might be able to fix you up with a new seat cover

• Like 2

Moostang

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it. I was leaning towards keeping the original patina and I think that’s what I’ll do after hearing everyone’s comments. I would like to be able to use it.  I did notice it leaks a little oil out of the axle shaft seal and a few times it pops out of gear (2nd I think). Seems to be a lot of information on this site if someone could point me in the direction for manuals and parts it would be appreciated. Also is there a snow blower attachment for mine? I know there are plows for it. I was thinking it would be a good way to get some use out of it.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Moostang
25 minutes ago, roadapples said:

@buckrancher might be able to fix you up with a new seat cover

I was wondering if the seat back was original. I don’t see many with them.

Mike'sHorseBarn

This is a great source for Transmission parts

https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/transmissions.html

Here is the manual for your tractor

I think the suburban 400's had a snowblower, but I don't think I've actually ever seen one.

Also here is a good thread for those 3 piece transmissions.

Edited by Mike'sHorseBarn
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Moostang

Wow that was some fast replies! Thanks! I did find the manuals on this site. I guess I didn’t word my question right in that I didn’t know which manuals for my transmission. With what was shared it was easy to get straightened out. Thanks again! This is a great resource!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square

It is only original once.  Enough said.  :)

If you recognize the silos in this picture, about 2 miles west of Leesburg, an excellent member (Scott) lives across the street.  He used to have these Meet & Greets with all these horses.  It would be good to stop in there and meet Scott and see his collection.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

2009_1008GMsScott20100013.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

D_Mac

Well I too like them original. Like they say in the motorcycle community is ... " paint and chrome dont get you home". I would spend the time and money on mechanics. Welcome to Red Square 

• Like 1

jeepdave
38 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Welcome to Red Square

It is only original once.  Enough said.  :)

If you recognize the silos in this picture, about 2 miles west of Leesburg, an excellent member (Scott) lives across the street.  He used to have these Meet & Greets with all these horses.  It would be good to stop in there and meet Scott and see his collection.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

2009_1008GMsScott20100013.JPG

Leesburg Indiana or Illinois? 

Supposedly there's a show semi close to Lessburg In, but I've not found anything online on it.

jeepdave

OP's story is about like mine with the Charger 12 except my goal is to get it running first. Lol

Complete restoration will happen, but it's not in the foreseeable future at the moment.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Nice Tractor!!!

Do with it as you wish - Great little tractors that will go and go...!!!

AlexR

:WRS: from New Paris.

Nice tractor! I would say I would agree with what other people have said. This a great forum and you will get all the information and help you need.

AMC RULES

Including my 400 for reference here...

20180506_132758.jpg.94c923a809d8677c66bf3d897939144c.jpg

...to show the potential your original paint still retains.   :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

jeepdave
7 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Including my 400 for reference here...

20180506_132758.jpg.94c923a809d8677c66bf3d897939144c.jpg

...to show the potential your original paint still retains.   :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

How were you able to get it look this good??