ebinmaine

To tube, or not to tube... That is the question !

ebinmaine

Given the fact that I have nearly new or new tires and I want to install them and inflate them is there an advantage or disadvantage or pros and cons or ups and downs or goods and bads....

To using tubes.

The reason I want to use them is that it's just plain easier in some situations because of not being able to seat the bead properly with a low-volume compressor.

Ladies and gentlemen, what be your thoughts?

• Like 2

JAinVA

I tend to always install tubes.It seems to make seating new tires easier.I know others here may not agree but since you asked.JMHO

pacer

Shortly after I started getting "horse fever" buying them sitting out in fields, back of barns, etc and discovering the - usually - rusted, pitted rims and quickly decided that a relatively inexpensive tube was THE way to go! Occasionally when I have a difficult tire mount facing me and I am gonna go to the local tire place to get them installed I'll let them go ahead and inflate the tires -- on a reasonably clean rim!

• Like 2

Ike
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Given the fact that I have nearly new or new tires and I want to install them and inflate them is there an advantage or disadvantage or pros and cons or ups and downs or goods and bads....

To using tubes.

The reason I want to use them is that it's just plain easier in some situations because of not being able to seat the bead properly with a low-volume compressor.

Ladies and gentlemen, what be your thoughts?

I put tubes in the front tires on my Kubota bx1500 because Kubota small wheel and tires just plain leak!  I also keep a 4 way hydraulic plow on the front year round which is pretty heavy.  The tires have yet to need air.  

I also bought a small bobcat 310 skid steer that had four flat tires.  The current owner said I needed to replace the wheels because they were bent and would not hold air.  I just took the tires to a tire shop and had tubes put in and used it for 8 years without a problem before I sold it.  

• Like 1

Tankman

I like tubes. Easy.

In my opinion, best if using fluid filled tires. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Herder

Well your right seating the bead can be a pian. The smaller the tire and the more plies they are the more difficult they can be. Using tubes means a having to remove them in order to patch a hole. It is more work. 

Tire pugs make flat repairs quicker and easier. 

pfrederi

New tires an decent rims no tubes why spend another 12-17 dollars.....  However I have  lot of old somewhat cracked tires and less than perfect rims...they get tubes.  A cargo strap around the tires helps with seating bead on new tires  or  a bead cheetah.  Finally got one faster than cargo straps

20 WHs = 80 tires plus a few spares.  3 tractors=12  2 military vehicles= 9 assorted hand trucks, pumps generators etc. wheel barrows etc another 12 All together over 125 tires cannot afford all new ones plus add on some neighbors.  Add some nasty black locust thorns and i do a lot of tire work

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

953 nut

I have found that a bit of tire lube and a ratchet strap around the tire will make bead seating rather easy. If the new tires were shipped wrapped up where they are sort of deformed it helps to set them out in the sun with several pieces of wood the width of your rim positioned between the beads. As they warm up they will regain proper shape.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Tubes...

:twocents-02cents:

roadapples
1 hour ago, Herder said:

Well your right seating the bead can be a pian. The smaller the tire and the more plies they are the more difficult they can be. Using tubes means a having to remove them in order to patch a hole. It is more work. 

Tire pugs make flat repairs quicker and easier. 

Exactly...I hate having to remove tires to fix them. I've plugged plenty without even removeing them. I only use tubes if there's no other way. I have a plug kit in both my trucks.....

Tractorhead

I use Tubes, because if i get a stiched tyre, it can be both simple repaired but In case of a rip or a small cut, 1-2 cm, 

a tube can be quickly changed, then you won some time to get a new Tyre.

My Rims are also very Old and they last still, but they had a lot of Rust, Ok, i removed the Rust, but i am not sure, the Tyre will keep the Air and i don't like to work with any Sealant. With Tubes i can be sure, the Tyres keeps the Air.

Independent on each cons, at slow speed Tyres, i allways work with Tubes.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

I try to install new tires without tubes but no avail the last 2 pair of front tires on the 520s have slow leaked that I must pump every other week, from now on they will get tubes from new, just my opinion, Jeff.

ebinmaine

23 x 8.5/9.5/10.5 x 12

I've been pricing tubes online and at local stores and finding huge variances in price.

Where do you guys buy yours?

pfrederi
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

23 x 8.5/9.5/10.5 x 12

I've been pricing tubes online and at local stores and finding huge variances in price.

Where do you guys buy yours?

Amazon

Pullstart

Best way to load a tire is fluid, best traction adder in my mind.  I vote tubes.