Walnut

Front end loader

Walnut

I have a C-160, 16 hp. Were these available with a loader option? If it doesn't sell and we keep it we'd like to add one. Perhaps a 6 cu foot bucket or smaller to move mulch, similar to a Woods LS series or the old J-D lawn and garden one they discontinued.

100_7522.JPG

• Like 4

Walnut

Ok, so I ran across a Youtube video of a C160 with a Johnson Loader. Time to get the sketch pad out.

WH-1.JPG

• Like 1

littleredrider

Buy the plans from PF Engineering. Think there $55, and tells you everything you  need to know bout building one. I got lucky and found one, but was gonna build my own if not...

Walnut

Thanks for the tip. I might order the plans but being a machine designer by trade I might also try and model it on the computer.

Found a host of pictures to work off of but I assume the plans also help with pump, cylinder and valve sizes.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Walnut said:

Thanks for the tip. I might order the plans but being a machine designer by trade I might also try and model it on the computer.

Found a host of pictures to work off of but I assume the plans also help with pump, cylinder and valve sizes.

And don't forget to make a thread with all the work you do. A lot of us would love to see the build.

Skipper

I have the PF plans. Both FEL and Backhoe. Bought them as a shortcut so to speak, not having to invent everything over again. I had hoped I could just use all  dimensioning and so on. It is tedious to do all the load calculations etc. However, a fresh start is most certainly what is going to happen, having looked closer at the plans. There's just too many points where my little engineering heart skips a beat, and my mouth lets out a little Hmm.

That Johnson however, seems to have at least some well thought out engineering principals as cornerstone, which many other GT FEL's seems to have missed in the hurry.

Just my :twocents-02cents:

Oh, and I have a set of not really used PF plans up for sale if someone should fancy them.

Edited by Skipper
Not to step on toes...........too much!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

...or, just do a search here on  :rs:

More than a few FEL builds have been documented over the years.

Walnut

Thanks for that link. I tried a forum search here and never found much.

I did find one video/picture file on Youtube where the guy mocked up and tested all the geometry using 2 x 4's and plywood.

Walnut

Ran across this picture, supposed to be a factory WH loader but???

Only pic I could find of one... so far.

WH-11.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Were no "factory" Wheel-Horse loaders.

AMC RULES

There were though, a few independant manufacturers(typically Ark, Brantly, Johnson) who produced them for use on a variety of garden tractor applications.

Walnut

Looks well thought out so it probably could have been an implement dealer option. The Angle Iron diagonals even mimic the WH frame.

Didn't get any serious hits on selling the C160 so I think I have enough pictures and info to get started on a loader. Good Winter project.

Wife will actually be thrilled we're keeping it, she got a little emotional when it got time to sell it. Her dad bought that WH new when she was about 10 and passed it on to us when we got married 25 years ago when he could no longer service it. It's taken me a lot of work to keep it running for as much as we use it and getting harder all the time. Basically been used several times a week for 45 years straight. Well over 10,000 hours and it's never been torn down.

With the loader it'll mainly be a single/occasional use machine, and remain a member of the family.

Edited by Walnut
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

C 160 built right is a great loader.

You'll be happy you kept and improved it.

953 nut

:WRS:

The key to success is a sturdy sub-frame to distribute the load to the axles rather than the frame. Here are a few pictures of the Johnson Workhorse front end loader on my GT-14.

246604776_GT-14withFEL004.JPG.9957d4e4d09cbf8c2201954c12f28c70.JPG1879562774_GT-14withFEL002.JPG.e8d347594d1591d8fa049c403d17ed45.JPG335808015_GT-14withFEL003.JPG.4caae9d3651fc2493dafe908ddccda21.JPG666971455_GT-14withFEL005.JPG.eaba24e24b7f10abcb295024bb4fbd58.JPG446827311_GT-14withFEL006.JPG.03bff7efe0efe460cf0254d638fb998e.JPG1289394375_GT-14withFEL009.JPG.9b43746e6a689e643c0701bb8dee25ea.JPG1677234972_GT-14withFEL010.JPG.a0d7feacc170ecb56bf64cfff0b43443.JPG1797776573_GT-14withFEL011.JPG.4323e18cf837849b159b003c82cd0847.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

wallfish
6 hours ago, Walnut said:

Hope this helps

Use this pump

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=48&Ntt=.517+pump

cylinders, valve, hoses, fittings ect.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/

Basic FEL plans

cschannuth
8 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

...or, just do a search here on  :rs:

More than a few FEL builds have been documented over the years.

I really enjoyed building the loader.  The PF plans were very helpful but not perfect since they are designed for a Cub Cadet.  The subframe, pump mount, and tower brace connection points needed to be modified from the plans.

• Excellent 2

jeepdave
19 hours ago, Walnut said:

I have a C-160, 16 hp. Were these available with a loader option? If it doesn't sell and we keep it we'd like to add one. Perhaps a 6 cu foot bucket or smaller to move mulch, similar to a Woods LS series or the old J-D lawn and garden one they discontinued.

100_7522.JPG

That's a nice looking seat. Is it factory?

Walnut
2 hours ago, jeepdave said:

That's a nice looking seat. Is it factory?

Yep, all original, driven by a little old man on weekends.

• Thanks 1

Walnut
12 hours ago, wallfish said:

Hope this helps

Use this pump

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=48&Ntt=.517+pump

cylinders, valve, hoses, fittings ect.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/

Basic FEL plans

Thanks, that helps a lot.

I know I'm new here but glad to see such a passionate following for the old WH brand.

Got home last night and told the wife I had good news and bad news. Got the typical eye roll and "what'd you do?"

Told her the good news was we were keeping her dads WH, bad news was "we" have another project. Told her if we kept it "she'd" have to help.

She's looking forward to using the loader to move mulch instead of a pitch fork and wheel barrow. 60 yards takes us weeks to move.

Edited by Walnut
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Walnut said:

Thanks, that helps a lot.

I know I'm new here but glad to see such a passionate following for the old WH brand.

Awesome bunch of people here!

I've been around for just a couple years now and I can't even begin to tell you how much I've learned about tractors and many other things.

Also met quite a few fantastic people ... on the phone, by text, by email, and in person.

• Like 1

Skipper

Just posted the PF plans in the classifieds section, if you should be interested ;-)

• Like 1