C&W

Rear hub making

C&W

Well to start off with ,I brought home a 1045 in pieces some months back,and started assembling it last week .turns out my rear hubs where not in the pile lol.

Im sure there still at my buddies place on the rims .being that is 500 miles im going to make a set to get me by till i make it back up there 

So I will post so pics of the progress in the days to come .I will be using a C series hub from my 120 as pattern for this project ,it's not like the 1045 hubs would look like but will get me by till I get the original ones back one day

Will be making from Extruded aluminum as its better grade .I probably could make then out of cast iron but the aluminum will go alot faster and be easier for me bore right now well hopefully so stay tuned if you interested

pic of the 1045 waiting on hubs 

1007180857.jpg

• Like 6

ebinmaine

I'm in.

This looks interesting.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Pullstart
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm in.

This looks interesting.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

:text-yeahthat: :text-bravo:

953 nut

:confusion-confused:              You could just buy a pair from A-Z Tractor, but this will be more interesting to watch!              :icecream:

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Patience is a virtue !

Can't wait for the results!

Retired Wrencher

C&W sounds interesting project. I guess you must have the tools to do this? Keep us in the loop please.

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:              You could just buy a pair from A-Z Tractor, but this will be more interesting to watch!              :icecream:

Agreed.

Always fun to make my own stuff when I can.

JAinVA

I don't think I would try to make hubs out of aluminum.The cast iron units develop damage at the keyway area and the aluminum ones you propose will do that as well, only faster.

For the amount of work you will sink into them,I think I would buy the correct hubs.I'm all for making my own parts but there are times when it just isn't worth the effort.JMHO,Luck,JAinVA

• Like 1

C&W

Here you guys few of the  steps this morning got it keyed and bolted to tractor still need to pour other hub and drill and tap lug holes 

Buying would take all the fun out of this project.

Started around 8 central time 

1010180854.jpg

1010180910.jpg

1010180937.jpg

1010181113a.jpg

1010181113.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

midpack

nice!

stevasaurus

How cool is that...a BIG Thank You for taking us along.  Those should work great for at least long enough until you get the originals back...maybe longer depending on how you use your horse.  :occasion-xmas:

C&W

Yeah thats what im thinking as long as stay off the free way haha and not cutting ditches

actually it is a good tight fit and might hold up longer than we all think 

I dont have a machine shop just old drill press so key way by hand with a file now that was fun

been playing with casting for little while it's fun 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, C&W said:

key way by hand with a file

Wow !!

Hey, one thing that would help you is if you put a second set screw in 90° from the first one. Makes a huge difference in the stability of the Hub to axle.

I kind of want you to leave that thing on there Until It Breaks even if it's long after you get your other ones back. Just for curiosity reasons.

• Thanks 1

Notfishin

This is why i like stopping here and checking things out three times a week . that is pretty nice work ! 

C&W

Now if i leave just one bolt on the hub we can see just how long it will make it .cause i do want put right ones back on some day haha 

C&W

Well im going call this project done i got to get back to working for real tomorrow 

Turned out well just very slight wobble way better than i would of thought if had a milling machine would been perfect i reckon all this done today with bare minimum of tools, file ,drill press furnace and some scrap aluminum

Only set wheels an tires i had available at the momment 

1010181627a.jpg

1010181632.jpg

1010181651c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Well Done!!!

Now we need you to go ride that thing around for a few weeks straight and see what the longevity of those aluminum hubs will be.

C&W

Will do

I need put the rm 425 on it and do some mowing this weekend 

• Like 1

pfrederi

I do not see a flat surface around the set screw.  Be very careful and do not over tighten the jam nut.  the hub is somewhat tapered and the hole may not be perfectly perpendicular.  WH machined a flat spot around the set screw.  if you over torque the jam nut you can snap off the set screw flush with the hub... not a good thing..do not ask how i know this.

• Like 1

WHNJ701

do you do casting?  I can keep you busy!

C&W

Lol i would like to do it more often, but i have to work pretty much all the time .i havnt been doing it to long, plan on doing some cast iron before end of year hopefully. 

Yeah I just didnt get around to doing the flat service arund set screw got in a hurry