The Tuul Crib

Weird!!

The Tuul Crib

Went four wheeling in the woods over the weekend and came across three or four of these on the hillside. They're mushrooms the size of a basketball. Anybody else ever run across this. Heard locals here say they lived in area for over 30 years and never run across one.

IMG_4792.JPG

• Like 2

edgro

Have seen the same thing here in Michigan, first time ever

• Like 1

lobo

It looks like, what we here in Iowa, a puff ball. When they are real white we eat them. Wash them up, slice about a half inch thick, batter the and then fry. If that's what it is?? Later in the year they will turn grey and fuzzy, kick them and they explode like dust. Not saying that's what you got there, but sure looks like it, be carefull.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

It does look like a Puff Ball. We get them over here in the UK, but you don't often see them.

diesel cowboy

I googled puffball mushroom and those are what showed up.  Never knew that's what they looked like before they got to grey/black looking stage and have the dust in them.  I see at least 3-4 a year around here going back at least 30 years, mostly in the apple to grapefruit size.  Must have seen 15-20 of them this year at my grandmothers while I was mowing.  Try hitting one with a mower and having it explode and send dust everywhere.  Though for sure I smoked the belt a couple times when it happened. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

midpack

I get them every year here. remember them from when I was a kid too!

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, lobo said:

It looks like, what we here in Iowa, a puff ball. When they are real white we eat them. Wash them up, slice about a half inch thick, batter the and then fry. If that's what it is?? Later in the year they will turn grey and fuzzy, kick them and they explode like dust. Not saying that's what you got there, but sure looks like it, be carefull.

I grew up in Iowa and I've never seen anything like this growing up. It's a weird spore floating around.  I'm not sure if puffballs get that big though !

520hC-120

I get those massive mushrooms too in my backyard!

CasualObserver

I've had a few of those in my yard over the years.... as with any mushrooms... they seem to come on quickly and with no real rhyme or reason as to location. Never knew the puffballs were edible. Did manage to find a Hen-of-the-woods a couple years ago... now that was tasty!

roadapples

There were about a half a dozen behind my mail box last year. At first, I thought someone had thrown out some trash....

Daddy Don

They grow in mass here in Oklahoma

Pullstart

It’s pretty common to see them here too.  Apparently they are a tasty treat, to those who like fungus.  I’ve tried to like mushrooms, but I just don’t enjoy ‘em.  We used to get monsters like that at our old house every year.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Run into them occasionally in the woods around SE Michigan...They do go "boom" in a cloud of dust when you kick them late in the season...

May be tasty but my rule of thumb with mushrooms is - buy them in a store...

:twocents-02cents:

• Haha 2

rjg854

We get them here in Central New York at this time of year.  I've been picking them out of the yard the last couple of weeks.  My mom would cook and eat them and seemed to really enjoy them. She taught me how to cook them but I just never aquired the taste for them,  and I like mushrooms. 

Chris G

Id agree looks like the puff balls we get in my area of new york and yes they can be good eating. Not the most filling but if cooked up right. There pretty good.

AMC RULES

20181012_144617.jpg

20181012_144625.jpg

20181012_144638.jpg

20181012_144703.jpg

AMC RULES

20181011_090610.jpg.05c1cd70a757429209f5f850d049c912.jpg20181011_090536.jpg.09cc17470f2c69ced2fe3c4640c9e692.jpg20181011_090524.jpg.fef3819cdc5edff26bdc97514122f88f.jpg20181011_090516.jpg.a25fa077045238a35b0aa73dccccf9f5.jpg20181011_090501.jpg.146a2ab2e98275c4aedb6248b6b81b15.jpg

• Like 1