LengerichKA88

Commando 8 VS Commando V8

LengerichKA88

I couldn’t find a thread that really fit my question, so I started my own. If it’s in the wrong spot please advise and I’ll remove/move it. 

We recently came into a tractor that all we were told is that it was a “68 Wheel horse”. After doing some digging on the engine serial number, I figured out that it’s a 69, but some places I’ve looked say it’s a Commando 8, some say Commando V8. I’m new to these, so I don’t know how to tell, definitively, which one it is. Any suggestions? 

Also, what’s the difference between the two? I haven’t really found a straight answer on that either, which I’m sure would end up answering my first question. 

Thanks I’m advance for any and all help! 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Sparky

The "V" signifies a vertical shaft engine, which is not what you have. Looks like a Commando 800 or a 1973 8/4speed.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
15 minutes ago, Sparky said:

The "V" signifies a vertical shaft engine, which is not what you have. Looks like a Commando 800 or a 1973 8/4speed.

Thank you! 

This is completely foreign territory for me. I’m guessing that being a 3-Speed narrows it down to an 800. 

These are such cool little tractors, especially being made in Indiana (Hoosier), that’s what really drew me into them is their “Home grown” origin haha. I’d like to eventually make it look factory fresh, but needed to make sure I was looking for the correct parts.  Thank you again!

image.jpg

• Like 2

posifour11

A picture of the model/serial number plate could help narrow it down. Should be on the left side of the hoodstand. 

Looks to be a good candidate for restoration. 

• Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
9 minutes ago, posifour11 said:

A picture of the model/serial number plate could help narrow it down. Should be on the left side of the hoodstand. 

Looks to be a good candidate for restoration. 

Either mines missing, or I need my prescription checked 😂

The only thing I can find on it is the sticker on the engine (below). Aside from that and “Wheel Horse” on the hood, I haven’t found any other identification plates or numbers anywhere.

I know I’m not making it easy lol, but I greatly appreciate the help guys! 

image.jpg

pfrederi

Engine is a service engine replacement can't use it to Id the model of tractor....

• Like 3

posifour11
30 minutes ago, Lengerich8 said:

Either mines missing, or I need my prescription checked 😂

The only thing I can find on it is the sticker on the engine (below). Aside from that and “Wheel Horse” on the hood, I haven’t found any other identification plates or numbers anywhere.

I know I’m not making it easy lol, but I greatly appreciate the help guys! 

image.jpg

I've found that a lot of them are painted over. I don't have a picture handy, but I'm sure someone else does. 

Either way, you have what looks to be a really good tractor. These things are the best "rabbit hole" to go down. You'll love it.

(As an aside... How big is your garage/shed? Whatever it is, double it! These things are addictive!)

• Excellent 3

Racinbob
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

:text-yeahthat:The Commando 800 would be a 72

• Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
6 minutes ago, posifour11 said:

I've found that a lot of them are painted over. I don't have a picture handy, but I'm sure someone else does. 

Either way, you have what looks to be a really good tractor. These things are the best "rabbit hole" to go down. You'll love it.

(As an aside... How big is your garage/shed? Whatever it is, double it! These things are addictive!)

I told the wife that instead of looking at it as a head ache and a money pit, to look at it as a blessing: If I’m working on and putting money into this, I don’t have money to buy an old Cutlass or Nova to restore 😂

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Welcome to :rs:, @Lengerich8!  Most would agree, the Commando 8 or 800 teactors are much stouter than the V8 models, so you lucked out.  The best way to get into restoring this is to jump in and get yourself to some shows and swap meets!  There’s a nice one in June in Arendtsville, PA that you should go to!  Until then, keep reading on here and get pumped about the show!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Welcome to :rs:, @Lengerich8!  Most would agree, the Commando 8 or 800 teactors are much stouter than the V8 models, so you lucked out.  The best way to get into restoring this is to jump in and get yourself to some shows and swap meets!  There’s a nice one in June in Arendtsville, PA that you should go to!  Until then, keep reading on here and get pumped about the show!

Thank you! 

I happened to see it on FB market place and thought it would be a good small engine project for my father in law, but I’m taking the lead on it now 😂

I’ll have to do some digging into the show/swap meet... might be close enough to pull it off, and I’ve got plenty of time to sweet talk the wife into it😂

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Mine let me go for the first time this year (yes, I asked permission), and next year I’ll be bringing the whole family.  Great times, and you’ll get to meet a bunch of these tractor nuts and their good company!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto

:WRS:

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

VIN plate may be up tight to the bottom of the dash panel above the finned voltage regulator.

Garry

• Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Welcome to Red Square , I don't think it is a Commando 800 , the finned regulator was hidden behind the tower. It was not exposed like the photo you sent. My guess would be a 73 no name. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

VIN plate may be up tight to the bottom of the dash panel above the finned voltage regulator.

Garry

I just went and looked, nothing but red paint. I’m 0-2 😂

31 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Welcome to Red Square , I don't think it is a Commando 800 , the finned regulator was hidden behind the tower. It was not exposed like the photo you sent. My guess would be a 73 no name. 

That would explain why the branding on mine doesn’t look like any others I’ve seen 🤔(800s I mean). They all have what looks like a metallic decal, where “Wheel Horse” is painted on mine. Would that make it more/less desirable? 

Would I just have to look through parts (for cosmetic stuff like the Throttle knob) to see what matches instead of looking by model specifically? 

Was it a common thing for them to put out “No names”?

and thank you all for the welcome!!

Achto

I believe that '73 was the only year for no names.

• Like 3

posifour11
4 hours ago, Lengerich8 said:

I told the wife that instead of looking at it as a head ache and a money pit, to look at it as a blessing: If I’m working on and putting money into this, I don’t have money to buy an old Cutlass or Nova to restore 😂

Nope! You need a dozen wheel horses and an AMAZING G-body! 

Then, you can bring me a 72 Nova to make her feel better. 😀

Edited by posifour11
Speeling 😀
  • Haha 2

Racinbob
4 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Not necessarily so Jim. Here's a 1972 Commando 800 (1-0110). Don't let the rear tires and seat setup throw you. I made those changes when I restored it for our grandson. You can see the regulator mounted like @Lengerich8's. Now that's not saying they all came like that. But....the decals on Len's would say 1973. The decals on this 72 are original.  :D

490260366_JaysCommando.thumb.JPG.d6b6d9b4df3c2e35d309b42460d20529.JPG

• Excellent 2

gwest_ca

If you look through this parts list which covers the Commando 800 and 8hp 4-speed some parts are different between the two and listed as such. Click on the pictures

Front hitch and running boards I noticed.

Operator manual for 1973

Garry

• Excellent 1

953 nut

:WRS:

There were some subtle differences and some times the change over came during a model year. Regardless of being a '72 or '73 the important part is that you enjoy it. This manual should be helpful.

Be aware that :wh: can be habit forming.

966494260_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.623eb5c0a6b0ad83167168e58c0c8429.jpg

• Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Racinbob That is strange about the regulator mounting. I have my Dad's Commando 800 and the regulator is hidden in the tower. I know that the Commando 800 came with 10 inch rear rims and 6 inch front rims. Not sure about the 73 8 hp no name.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

That doesn't surprise me Jim. That's why I added the disclaimer. :D This one was all original when I purchased it in the early 80's and it had the 10" rears. I left the 6" fronts and put the 12" from a 76 B-80 on the back. The 73 8 4-speed had 6" and 10" but the 8 8-speed had 8" and 12"...…….... I think :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88
3 hours ago, posifour11 said:

Nope! You need a dozen wheel horses and an AMAZING G-body! 

Then, you can bring me a 72 Nova to make her feel better. 😀

Funny you say that, my dream car is a 72 Nova, and for the G body... my first love, uh, car, was a 87 Olds Cutlass Surpreme Brogham. Great aunt bought it off the show room floor, and when I got it in 2006 it had 44k original miles. 😂 

Now, back to the steed 😂

Thank you so much for all the help everyone! I’m going to get to the computer (phone now) later and pull up those manuals. I’ve already had a blast with this little tractor, but I want to make sure if I’m going to spend the time and money to restore it, that I do it right. 

And thank you for being patient with me. I’ve never done anything like this, usually I break motorized vehicles, not fix them up. I’ve always had bad luck in forums getting ganged up on for not knowing anything, so thanks for not running me off!

I guess it’s a good thing we’re adding on a 12x20 addition to our shop, should be able to fit a few more in there eventually 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
30 minutes ago, Lengerich8 said:

so thanks for not running me off!

We have all learned from shared experiences on here. We learn while helping out others, what a concept.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3