bc.gold

3 ounce ball peen

bc.gold

My favourite hammer for tapping out gaskets from bulk stock purchased at the local auto supply.

ball.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Interesting method.

I've always just traced and cut carefully.

Do you use the item you're making the gasket for as the template?

JAinVA

That is an age old method for making gaskets.Good tutorial.My dad showed me the method over 50 years ago.When I was a wet behind the ears millwright apprentice my instructors seemed irritated that I knew how to make gaskets as well as they could.But then I was always a smart a#s.I wished I could get a roll of gasket material  as big as what you show.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Interesting method.

I've always just traced and cut carefully.

Do you use the item you're making the gasket for as the template?

Yes you use the part as your template, use the small end of the peen to gently tap along the sharp edges. On the large Onan oil galley gasket I first tapped out a bolt hole to insert a bolt to keep the gasket material in place.

One tool set that I recently purchased and leave at the farm was a set of transfer punches. I do not own the Farm but have the use of their shop day or night as a token of appreciation I sometimes leave a cash offering or tools that we can both use.

They have an 85 amp name brand plasma, a couple of mig"s, Lincoln square wave welder, metal lathe and a 50 ton press that scares the &&^% out of me.

Rob the owner of the farm runs a 20,000 acre grain operation from a wheel chair.

trans.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

bc.gold
3 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

That is an age old method for making gaskets.Good tutorial.My dad showed me the method over 50 years ago.When I was a wet behind the ears millwright apprentice my instructors seemed irritated that I knew how to make gaskets as well as they could.But then I was always a smart a#s.I wished I could get a roll of gasket material  as big as what you show.

Get your parts guy to go thought his book to see what is available besides what they stock. If you commit to a full roll there shouldn't be a problem with your purchase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold

My old proto has a split handle, I'm going to drill some holes then insert heavy copper wire then rivet the ends over.

ball.png&key=e8e6c823b6b55461f203ce04634

gwest_ca

Had to make a complicated gasket for a Zenith carb. The carb ended up on a flatbed scanner and after a few tries got the scale right. Used spray adhesive to mount the copy on gasket material and cut it out from there. Worked good.

Garry

• Like 1

pfrederi

Had a lot of females in my company..most weren't into turning wrenches but sit them down with a manila folder (didn't have gasket materiel) a ball peen hammer and a scalpel and they turned out some great gaskets....36 years ago

• Like 2

ranger

Another usually more precise way is to use ball bearings from old ball races, press one over the hole with the gasket underneath, it should stay in place, then gently tap the ball. This way you won't / shouldn't miss and damage the edges of the hole with the hammer. Save different size bearings for different size holes, but always use a larger one than the hole. Another thing that works is a "piston" from a "defunct" axial piston hydraulic pump, remove the bronze foot from the piston, you then have a "ball on stick" which is easier to hold and hit!

• Excellent 1

bc.gold
13 minutes ago, ranger said:

Another usually more precise way is to use ball bearings from old ball races, press one over the hole with the gasket underneath, it should stay in place, then gently tap the ball. This way you won't / shouldn't miss and damage the edges of the hole with the hammer. Save different size bearings for different size holes, but always use a larger one than the hole. Another thing that works is a "piston" from a "defunct" axial piston hydraulic pump, remove the bronze foot from the piston, you then have a "ball on stick" which is easier to hold and hit!

Good thought and the larger displacement pumps would have larger heads

aball.png

• Like 1

bc.gold

The ultimate gasket cutting tool.