Razorback

Hello from NW Arkansas

jay bee
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, Razorback said:

I have always said that if I could be "from" a place with a cool name, Kalamazoo would be on that list!

:text-thankyouyellow:    Kalamazoo is a cool name, does make a good song (I've got a Gal in Kalamazoo), makes a good musical instrument (the Kazoo) not to mention the original home of Gibson Guitar and it is a great area to live in.

• Like 1

Razorback
47 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Key switches and starter solenoids are a plenty yet. You might just be running into some bad electrical  connections which can easily be sorted out ya get her home. No matter tractor guys lIke you and I can take these minor issues in stride. :)

Yes... hearing it run was just more bait!  It dawned on me after I looked at the wiring diagram again that I need to make sure that the safety switch on the PTO lever (is that what it's called?) is working reliably. We'll get this figured out!   I asked my friend if after my next trip (hopefully tomorrow evening), if it's still not fixed could I bring it to MY back yard where I have all of MY stuff. She agreed.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

r356c

Bentonville Arkansas... Where does that ring a bell? Walton Family... Walmart...  I remember now.

Welcome Razorback to the Wheel Horse Forum. :text-welcomeconfetti:

How is that not already in your shed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Razorback
7 hours ago, r356c said:

Bentonville Arkansas... Where does that ring a bell? Walton Family... Walmart...  I remember now.

Welcome Razorback to the Wheel Horse Forum. :text-welcomeconfetti:

How is that not already in your shed?

Thank you. And yes, this is Walmart country. They are not my employer, but I am here because of them. JB Hunt, Tyson Foods, and others are based in the local area, so there are people from all over the country and world here. Quality of life is fantastic here, lots of local flavor and things to do, not far from Branson, MO. Started acting like Fall this week. Beautiful!!!

That Wheel Horse will be here soon. I'd rather drive it into my trailer under it's own power if at all possible. She knows I want it, so it won't disappear. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Razorback

Good news! The real culprit was at the PTO lever safety switch.

First, I used a bungee cord to keep the clutch pedal down (knew from last night that the clutch pedal switch was good and working properly with the pedal). 
I used my meter to check continuity from the red wire at the starter switch to the other end of that circuit at the starter relay. No continuity. The tab on the PTO lever that is supposed to depress the switch..... wasn’t (reliably), but if I depressed that switch myself, got a good circuit every time. Noticed there was a bit of slop left to right on the shaft that goes through to the other side of the frame. Removed the c-clip on that side, removed the washer that was under it, noticed it was kind of thin. Found a stash of washers here in the garage and selected one that was about twice as thick as the one I removed. C-clip would still go on nicely. Metered the circuit as I moved the PTO lever and it all worked properly!
I still don’t have a good battery for this tractor, so I stuck my jump box on it, turned the key....... music to my ears!!!!!!!

I like progress!!!

Edited by Razorback
  • Excellent 3

Razorback

Also found the mule for the tiller, and pulled out the items that were behind the tiller. I can identify the sleeve hitch, but what is the bar attached to it, and what is the other piece?

9F0E4DAB-798A-4AFD-9470-52662217EA69.jpeg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

See the green Mackissic shredder is also set up for this tractor.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:           Once a bit of deferred maintenance has been taken care of you will be in good shape. With all of those attachments you need to add a few more :wh: to the herd so each attachment is mounted on its own :wh:.                 :ychain:

770209912_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.098ce9b95127c0f921b5b9aadc589e94.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Razorback

Thank you for that manual. I was wondering if it was some sort of cultivator. Now I need to find the rest of the parts.

WHX??

Good eye Garry...Yes that is a good find, scour the place for those parts!!

Razorback
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:           Once a bit of deferred maintenance has been taken care of you will be in good shape. With all of those attachments you need to add a few more :wh: to the herd so each attachment is mounted on its own :wh:.                 :ychain:

770209912_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.098ce9b95127c0f921b5b9aadc589e94.jpg

That is exactly why I have the 4 GTs that I have now: The newest one, the Craftsman PGT9000, is mainly my mowing machine with it's 54" deck....... the Speedex 1631 is my ploughing machine (mainly)...... the Craftsman GT6000 is my cultivator (with an Agri-Fab cultivator on the sleeve hitch (and my snow pusher occasionally with the 48" front blade)....... and the 1966 Cub Cadet is my tiller. That pretty much fills up my shed (along with 2 push mowers and a high-wheel Yazoo) Oh, and a 1974 Troy-Bilt Horse.

I figure that I can keep all but the Cub and the GT6000 once I get this WH home, and definitely come out on the better side.

This might get me back in the mood to garden next year. Here's the story:

I started gardening back in the early 2000's. Began with a 10'x10' spot that I dug up with my dad's Mantis tiller. Over the course of the next 3 years and the addition of some equipment, that spot grew to 50'x150'. I grew a TON of stuff every year, and got to where we canned as much as we could.

Then October 2013 happened....... Took a trip to Hancock, MI to pick up a 1987 Avion travel trailer. Thus started our "going places and doing things". For 2014, 2015, and 2016 the garden really took a hit..... You have to stay HOME to take care of a garden!  I told my wife, "You know there's a problem when you have to MOW the garden!" So, In 2017 and this year, I had absolutely NO garden. Partly because of the decision process of, "Do I want to go out in the garden and sweat my tail off, or take the trailer and GO somewhere?", partly because of garden burn-out. You know where it says in the Bible to let the land rest every seven years? Up until now, I have been in the mode of, "Let the land rest SEVEN years!"

Maybe it's time to get the Speedex out and turn some furrows in anticipation of next year?

IMG_3281.JPG

• Like 4

r356c

Speedex, Economy, and Jim Dandy tractors.

Black Oak Arkansas, Jim Dandy southern rock song. Sorry, I could not resist.

• Like 1

Razorback

Guess what I found while I was at my friend’s place replacing the impeller on her Cyclone Leaf Rake? Found ALL of the shanks and clamps for the cultivator attachment!!!! Also fixed that Craftsman you see in the Cyclone picture.... another “helper” was mowing her yard and ran into something solid..... bent the leading edge of the mower deck just below the left footrest.... enough to cause contact with that blade. Straightened the deck, sharpened the blades while I had them off.

Then............

she told me she’d GIVE me the Wheel Horse! Still going to pay her something for the implements..... might also see if she’d just like to trade my handyman-ness for whatever she thinks it’s worth. She’s the type that even though I offer to help her with ANYTHING she needs, she’s always insisting that she pay me.... I don’t take a dime... so, maybe it’ll make her feel better if we barter!

AE4FDCFB-DA34-4863-B7CA-F092D94F30B9.jpeg.de80624ae3e6db86df7cc29d6ff2ad5b.jpeg5E255A94-FBEB-40D0-87CB-479054E7BDDA.jpeg.42153cd1ae7169b5a56d981cb09e6671.jpeg

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

ericj

those cultivators must not have been used much, or used very lightly, the shovels still have most of the paint on them. Very nice find, good luck

eric j

Razorback
On 10/9/2018 at 7:12 AM, gwest_ca said:

Be hard to find one nicer than that one.

Click on the pictures.

The mower deck is much newer 1978-1982. The first 2 digits not in the photo should ID the model year. The 338 build date is missing the first digit. 338th day of ? year.

Garry

Finally remembered to look at the deck ID tag again.... first 2 digits are “85”.

E08A7675-E85A-40C3-A8DB-FF5D89E34A0B.jpeg

• Like 1

jay bee
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, Razorback said:

first 2 digits are “85”.

That makes it a 1978

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

The 338 build date is missing a digit.  With such a low serial suspect it should read 7338 which is Sunday December 4, 1977. Click on the picture.

Garry

Razorback

I have gotten my 1994 Craftsman GT6000 ready to go to a new owner. Nice young guy who is mowing yards for the summer.... made him a sweet deal since he is so awesome..... now, my C160 and all of it’s attachments can take their rightful places in the shed..... and allow me to free up my 6’x10’ enclosed trailer.

B2AF8BD8-3F21-49F7-9024-7E962A8699FD.jpeg

DB2DC787-9F04-40D7-9375-ABD052DFFD54.jpeg

Edited by Razorback

Razorback

GT6000 left today. He’ll get some good use out of it, that’s for sure. I can help him with any questions or problems he might run into.

He had a huge smile on his face!

• Excellent 1

Razorback

He told me that a yard that used to take 45 min to an hour took him 20 minutes yesterday. 

“It’s an awesome machine!”, he says....