Razorback

Hello from NW Arkansas

WHX??

:WRS: Razor

You would not be sorry in buying it. The C160 is a beast and can do just about anything. '74 is the first year they were made but were built on a time proven frame and transmission. They came in either hydro or gear jammer. On many of our tractor bucket list for sure.  Just off the top that one looks like a nice one & you have come to the right place for anything :wh:. Great bunch of talented people here.

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

:WRS:

You are going to love the C-160!      A sixteen horse Kohler "THUMPER" engine and a bulletproof eight speed transmission will last for ever with a little maintenance. It looks like it has been cared for and with all those attachments you will be able to do a ton of work.

:text-coolphotos:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

oldredrider

I'm with 953 nut. Many moons ago, when I first discovered Wheel Horses, did a lot of research and decided I HAD to have  C-160.

Fast forward a few years, have owned a few of them but sold them because they are in high demand around here and "everything has a price".

Several years ago I got a C-160 auto that I am determined to keep. NOT FOR SALE!

Has always done (with ease) everything demanded of it. 

Pay whatever she wants and feel good about helping her out and your new acquisition. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

c-series don

It looks to be well cared for. Maybe just needs some wax!  I would be all over that. Then you will see why all of us here are addicted to these great tractors. Durability, ease of changing attachments, I could go on and on! 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

Pinnacle of the C series and in nice shape.Go for it!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

paxz71usa

Hello Razorback,    :text-welcomeconfetti:  to   :wh:!    I have a 1973 12 Automatic Wheel Horse and wouldn't not give it up. I mow with it, pull a wood splitter in the woods and haul wood. After 45 years it is still running strong. Of course I've had the help of the experts :confusion-confused: from this forum to see me through a few problems. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to take that C-160 home. Nice looking machine.

PS. Two years ago my daughter bought a place on a river about 15 miles west of Hot Springs. I just returned last week from helping her with a few chores around her home. I must say that I have never been anywhere else in the country where people will go so far out of their way to be helpful to a complete stranger. When I'm there I feel as though I've lived there all my life.

:USA:       Gary

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Achto

:WRS:

• Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Welcome.

My C—60 is a great worker. I’m  urgently doing a large drainage ireshaping project and I’m amazed at how much dirt it can push

• Excellent 1

Razorback

Went and took a look at the C160 this evening. After an initial inspection to make sure the engine was free, fed it some fresh gas, checked the oil, checked the air filter, and made sure the throttle and choke worked like they should, all looked good. Stuck my jump box on it, good strong crank, obviously getting gas to the carb, but no start. No spark. Not knowing if there are any safety interlocks to contend with, I made sure the tractor was in neutral, brake was set, and clutch was depressed. (All good?? Missing anything??)

Inspected the points, checked the plug wire, cleaned the spark plug...... still no spark. Noticed a little bit of a gas leak at the fuel pump, but not much. Hoses look good, but the output-side hose clamp is a bit loose.

Went to the truck to get my meter...... realized that I had left it on the shelf in the garage! :angry-screaming:

So, did some cleaning on the tractor and decided to come back soon... hopefully tomorrow, with a coil and my meter. The points looked good, but could not check much without my meter.

Took some more pictures. Its a great-looking machine. Sometime soon I will tell my wife that we're getting another GT....... :D

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3520.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3522.JPG

IMG_3523.JPG

IMG_3524.JPG

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

rjg854

:WRS: nice  tractor and a wide range of attachments, you can't go wrong :thumbs2:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JC 1965

Great lookin tractor. You can't go wrong with the 16 horse engine.    :text-welcomeconfetti:  to:rs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Be hard to find one nicer than that one.

Click on the pictures.

The mower deck is much newer 1978-1982. The first 2 digits not in the photo should ID the model year. The 338 build date is missing the first digit. 338th day of ? year.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Razorback

Thank you for the nice comments and the link to the manuals. If I can just get some spark, this thing will take off!!

oldredrider

Just take a points file with you next time. Clean them up before anything else. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Razorback
21 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Just take a points file with you next time. Clean them up before anything else. Good luck!

Funny you should mention that. From some previous now-ancient IBM equipment I used to work on that had lots of relays and contactors in them, I have a burnishing blade in my tool kit. Comes in real handy at times!

For this same issue: I have purchased a new coil in the past from Tractor Supply for my Cub Cadet 123 that has a 12hp Kohler in it..... does anyone know if the 16hp uses the same coil?

• Like 1

oldredrider

As long as it has the internal resistor, it will work.

• Like 2

Razorback
3 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

As long as it has the internal resistor, it will work.

Yes, it did. I will try to find the TSC item number that I bought.

• Like 1

Razorback

I just reminded myself that Wheel Horse and Speedex are cousins, or actually brothers, since they were developed by the Pond brothers.

No WONDER I like them so much!

Here is my 1981 Speedex 1631. It also has a belly mower, plow, and discs. I REALLY like it for turning a furrow because it sits up high, allowing a deep furrow without high-centering:

DAE52C91-931B-483B-9A27-6F0E2D7BB7F5.jpeg

6666785C-6EC3-43B3-A3E7-193958158B82.jpeg

37E27F7A-4481-48B9-8C74-608F1ED02446.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Razorback
19 hours ago, paxz71usa said:

Hello Razorback,    :text-welcomeconfetti:  to   :wh:!    I have a 1973 12 Automatic Wheel Horse and wouldn't not give it up. I mow with it, pull a wood splitter in the woods and haul wood. After 45 years it is still running strong. Of course I've had the help of the experts :confusion-confused: from this forum to see me through a few problems. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to take that C-160 home. Nice looking machine.

PS. Two years ago my daughter bought a place on a river about 15 miles west of Hot Springs. I just returned last week from helping her with a few chores around her home. I must say that I have never been anywhere else in the country where people will go so far out of their way to be helpful to a complete stranger. When I'm there I feel as though I've lived there all my life.

:USA:       Gary

Arkansas is a great place, and I have heard comments like yours from several people! Glad to know we have such a nice reputation (to counteract all the others!). I love the area of northern and northwest Arkansas and into Missouri. This is a well-kept secret.... not so secret any longer with the growth of Walmart, JB Hunt trucking, Tyson Foods, and others. This is one of the fastest-growing areas in the nation. 

When I hear people refer to this as “fly-over country”, I just say, “Keep on flying over!” To all the others..... come see us! It’s not called “The Natural State” for nuthin’!

Edited by Razorback
Added a sentence
  • Haha 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: @Razorback to :rs:

• Thanks 1

Razorback
20 minutes ago, jay bee said:

:text-welcomewave: @Razorback to :rs:

Thank you, Jim.....

I have always said that if I could be "from" a place with a cool name, Kalamazoo would be on that list!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Razorback

Well, I brought a coil with me tonight and installed it. Didn’t seem to make a difference. Cleaned the points, made sure the safety switch at the clutch pedal worked like it should. Started it, and it ran! I let it run for 10 minutes or so. Shut it off to button things up, tried to start it and it would crank but not run. Kept checking things and never could get it to run. At the end of the time I could spend, it would not turn the starter. I am thinking that the key switch or the starter relay is not working like it should. I really think it was a fluke when it did run for me. (Lights come on with the key in the on position, go out in the start position. )

Does anyone know know where I might find a key switch and a starter relay? I have found similar suitable parts at TSC for my old Cub Cadet 123...... maybe the same?

I am going to "borrow" the starter relay off of my Cub, might see if the key switch will swap, too. Also will bring a known good battery off of the Cub. Maybe tomorrow night I can get this figured out. Hearing it run so nicely was a good shot in the arm!

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Key switches and starter solenoids are a plenty yet. You might just be running into some bad electrical  connections which can easily be sorted out ya get her home. No matter tractor guys lIke you and I can take these minor issues in stride. :)

• Like 1