FatJackDurham

Curse of the 310-8 continues

FatJackDurham

I finally reassembled the 42" mower deck I have been rebuilding and painting all summer and put it on the 310-8 salvage tractor I also have been working on all summer. The deck was much quieter and the tractor worked decently, if a little under powered. But, halfway through the yard, something went scrack and there arose a scraping sound and the smell of burning belt. Wasn't the deck, the deck was great. It was something that happened when put out the clutch. Either something on the drive belt line or something in the transmission binding the drive pulley. Either way, the 310 is back in the DNR category.

tunahead72

Broken clutch idler pulley?

FatJackDurham

Maybe. Still drives around and the scraping and squealing occurs whether it's in gear or not. 

littleredrider

Check n make sure the belt didn’t go over the retainer, I think it’s called lol. It’s on the engine, just under the belt guard by pulley. it’s supposed to keep the belt from lifting too much when the clutch is depressed. It will go to the outside and tho the tractor will move, it can screech and smoke some. My 520-8 does it now n then...

• Like 1

FatJackDurham
22 hours ago, littleredrider said:

Check n make sure the belt didn’t go over the retainer, I think it’s called lol. It’s on the engine, just under the belt guard by pulley. it’s supposed to keep the belt from lifting too much when the clutch is depressed. It will go to the outside and tho the tractor will move, it can screech and smoke some. My 520-8 does it now n then...

Thanks, I'll check.

littleredrider

Other thing too is sure the belt guard goes near the tranny pulley. I swapped

tranny’s last nite and some of the mounts where broke or tweaked, causing the guard to scrub the pulley. Really annoying lol...