Daron1965

what do you do over the cold winter months?

Daron1965

OK, Im new to this larger scale gardening. I have gardened in a few 4ft by 8ft raised beds for a few years, BUT, now that I have a few horses with plows and harrows, I did larger plots this month. 1st is approx 20ft by 30ft, 2nd is approx 35ft x 60ft. Both have been plowed numerous times. I am wondering what to do next, what needs to be done with the soil, if anything until spring. Do any of you add anything to the soil in the fall? Do you do anything over the winter?:confusion-confused:

953 nut

I shiver!     Image result for shiver

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

JAinVA

0601131822a.thumb.jpg.39ce39e69bbc1b5bebb35925ddeb263f.jpgLeaf mulch as ground cover during growing season.Now that we have chickens their residue gets tilled in the fall and over the winter.The garden is momma's baby and she has the soil tested by the local extension office and what we need is added.It amazes me what a 25x65 plot can produce.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold
59 minutes ago, Daron1965 said:

OK, Im new to this larger scale gardening. I have gardened in a few 4ft by 8ft raised beds for a few years, BUT, now that I have a few horses with plows and harrows, I did larger plots this month. 1st is approx 20ft by 30ft, 2nd is approx 35ft x 60ft. Both have been plowed numerous times. I am wondering what to do next, what needs to be done with the soil, if anything until spring. Do any of you add anything to the soil in the fall? Do you do anything over the winter?:confusion-confused:

I planted a bunch of garlic one fall some borrowing ( burrowing ) ground critter ate half the crop, from what did grow I gave away the scapes. They have many culinary uses.

Did not plant another garlic crop it's hard to find seed stock not infected with the nematode worm and once your soil is contaminated you need to find new ground.

For weed control used flaming, you pass the torch quickly over the weeds, they still appear green but when a leaf is squeezed between your fingers you'll see the damage has been done to the plant tissue.

Edited by bcgold
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold

Been collecting and saving parts to build a potato digger, I have everything that I need but the time needed to make it.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH
26 minutes ago, bcgold said:

I planted a bunch of garlic one fall some borrowing ( burrowing ) ground critter ate half the crop, from what did grow I gave away the scapes. They have many culinary uses.

Did not plant another garlic crop it's hard to find seed stock not infected with the nematode worm and once your soil is contaminated you need to find new ground.

For weed control used flaming, you pass the torch quickly over the weeds, they still appear green but when a leaf is squeezed between your fingers you'll see the damage has been done to the plant tissue.

Bought one of those propane torches this summer at Harbor Freight for $20. What a great buy! Kills weeds in a second...

I use it for cracks in driveway, sidewalks and parking lot...man does it beat roundup! Immediate results and no dead scraps sticking up for days / weeks...just wear good work boots and long pants unless you like that shaved leg look!

Only drawback? Don't work so well in wood chips!!! :happy-bouncyredfire:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold

The Ontario Government has done extensive research on the nematode. Submerse your bulbs in hot water for several minutes, the whole article is available from this link.

From some research of my own found out how to get true garlic seed, just after your scapes have started producing little bulbets using tweezers remove these then seeds will appear. You can cut the scapes free from the mother plant then use a jug of water to keep then alive. It is claimed that the germination rate is around 60%.

Managing stem and bulb nematode in garlic starts in the fall

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/hort/news/hortmatt/2014/22hrt14a1.htm

Edited by bcgold

JAinVA

I looked into building a similar potato digger.They are great for large plots but for what I have in the ground I use this.Digger is on the right.Unit on the left  is for digging the furrows for planting.Plows_1669.thumb.JPG.5c2a85971b9dd5fb5e65157e2ff2410e.JPG

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Treeguy

If you want to amend the soil this fall, it wouldn’t hurt to till in some mushroom manure or any compost. This will allow time for the mushroom manure to age and mix with the soil better. Not to mention a lot of manure is too strong when bought fresh in the spring that’s why I prefer to do it in the fall.

Daron1965

That's a good idea,  I already put some rabbit droppings from my rabbits and neighbors rabbits in the garden. That really helped my raised beds last year. .

The Tuul Crib

Honey do list gets done till mowing season!!

Digger 66
On 10/7/2018 at 9:28 PM, JAinVA said:

0601131822a.thumb.jpg.39ce39e69bbc1b5bebb35925ddeb263f.jpgNow that we have chickens

That's one funny looking chicken brother :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

JAinVA

You think the chicken looks funny you should see her weird looking brown eggs.She buries them everywhere.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Daron1965
57 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

weird looking brown eggs.She buries them everywhere.

Now that's funny.  :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA
4 minutes ago, Daron1965 said:

Now that's funny.  :ROTF:

If I made you laugh that was the goal.

Daron1965

You succeeded.  That should be the line of the day.  Wife laughing. 

• Haha 1

The Tuul Crib
On 10/7/2018 at 7:40 PM, Daron1965 said:

I know this is an old post but I have always planted what is called hairy vetch.or as is is more or less alfalfa. Or even rye grass .

Till it under in the spring that with all the compost you can thro at it. The garden will be happy!

• Like 2

charging10

I just seen this post, in the fall we mulch up leaves dead tomatoe stalks and anything left over from summer plantings and leave this on top of garden,through the winter we throw all vegetable scraps ,egg shells,chicken manure from coop then till everything in when weather warms back up in spring.

• Like 2