Blackhood Bill

Original muffler verses stack

Blackhood Bill

Ok guys seen many pics of both original and some with stacks. My question is Is a stack quiter or is it just for looks. Just wondering.

dells68

Mostly for looks.  A few might be quieter, but most are louder.  A stack just gives our little tractors a bit more of the big tractor look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dan693

Actually if you fab your own free flow header before the stack it definitely will give you a bit more power. I'm about to make another one and I use rigid conduit from the hardware store then either fab a new mounting flange for the head bolts or rob the one from the old muffler. The key is no right angles....just curves.

Also a free flow air filter and bigger carb jet. All three changes will make about 20% more power. Some remove the governor but I dont usually fool with it.

953 nut

If you  re-purpose an old Harley muffler you get a nice mellow sound, looks good too.

046.JPG.03028bf2d878e7a7008e40ae1e6952f9.JPG

• Like 6

ebinmaine

The one on my b80 is actually a cub Muffler that is bolted onto the end of a 6 inch piece of extension pipe.

It is very quiet compared to a lot of other mufflers.

As stated above, a lot of us do it pretty much for looks.

I love the look of a sky pointing exhaust whether it is on any size tractor or a full size truck.

I did it for that and also to get the exhaust up away from my face as I was driving through the woods.

If you are using the tractor as a mowing machine and you get close to low-hanging trees that needs to be put in as a consideration against a stack.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Cherry bombs aren’t too bad of a sound tone, right color too!

2012C13E-4F88-4386-9166-75FFCAA08C5E.jpeg

• Like 4

Blackhood Bill

Ok thanks guy's

ClassicTractorProfessor

Mostly just done for looks, however I was very pleased with the sound of mine when I put it on...guy I bought it from had attempted to make a stack...thing was just plain ugly and blew exhaust fumes right in the operators face. The one on it now is one I recycled off a friends Massey Ferguson 135

FB_IMG_1538853296908.jpg

FB_IMG_1538853299976.jpg

FB_IMG_1538853305065.jpg