Rugith

Clutch/transmission problems

Rugith

Hello everyone. I acquired my first wheel horse over the weekend. It's a 312-8, Toro branded, I think mid 90-s. I mowed with it last weekend and everything seemed normal, except now and again it gave some resistance while switching gears. I would move the shifter and instead of moving into gear it was like it hit a wall.. then yesterday when I started her up, as soon as I left off the clutch while in neutral, there was a sort of slipping noise. It would stop as soon as I depressed the clutch again. Same thing with shifting too. Sometimes the shifter just seemed to hit a wall instead of getting into gear. There seemed to be no rhymn or reason though, as each gear would take turns doing it and then would stop and switch to another gear. I was so excited for this thing but now my heart's sinking because I can't put a lot of money into it. If anyone can let me know what the problem might be, I would appreciate it. I'm guessing the clutch is going and the tranny gears might be shredded but I have little to no mechanical knowledge so I'm hoping I'm wrong!

Thank you

Edited by Rugith
Y

953 nut

:WRS:

The gears in a Wheel Horse transmission are square cut and must align properly to engage one another. On my 310-8 I have found the need to let the clutch out to get the gears moving and then push it down before shifting works best. My older ones have enough wear and tear on them that they slide right in.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

Rugith
20 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The gears in a Wheel Horse transmission are square cut and must align properly to engage one another. On my 310-8 I have found the need to let the clutch out to get the gears moving and then push it down before shifting works best. My older ones have enough wear and tear on them that they slide right in.

Thanks! That's good to hear, maybe I've over thinking the gear ahift haha. Do you have any idea about the slipping noise when I let the clutch out?

SylvanLakeWH
52 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:

Same on my 1982 C-105. Also - make sure you are completely stopped before changing gears...

I would also change the gear oil...Probably been a while...

AND...:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

pfrederi

Slipping sound maybe the drive belt starting to engage when you let the clutch out, which would be normal.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Rugith :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Rugith
14 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

@Rugith :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Thanks! 

47 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Slipping sound maybe the drive belt starting to engage when you let the clutch out, which would be normal.

I sure hope so, it's just strange I didn't notice it the first mowing. Anywho thanks for the reply!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square.

The drive belt is your clutch.  When you depress the clutch pedal, you are just removing tension from the drive belt by taking the tension off of the tension pulley.  This is under your belt guard.  remove your belt guard and take a look.  :)  The drive belt slips on the engine drive pulley when you depress the clutch.

As was stated above, this is not a synchronized transmission...you need to come to a complete stop before shifting gears.  Do not double clutch...this is not a car or truck tranny.  Your transmission is fine.  Check your oil and make sure it is to the right level and clean...90 wt...about 2 qts.

One thing that may be causing the "wall" would be a loose shifter.  The shifter should not feel sloppy, it should feel on the snug side.  If it is sloppy, lift up the shift boot.  You will see an Allen Set Screw and a lock nut on the trans case in front of the shifter.  Loosen the lock nut and with a 1/8" Allen wrench, tighten the set screw and then back if off a 1/4 turn...tighten the lock nut, and replace the shifter boot.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2