D_Mac

New and looking for help

D_Mac

Hey guys looking for help on this little horse I picked up the other day. It is an RR65 in very nice condition. I bought it off a older gentleman who had it in his barn a number of years. When I picked it up I was amazed at how nice it was and that it ran so well. He drove it around over to my truck and I loaded it up paid him and off I went. I had to stop at a friend of mine to show him what I just got. We took it off the truck he got on drove it like 50 yards and it stopped. UGHHhhh. Now the rear wheels are locked up and it wont roll. Anyone have experience in these transmissions? There is only high gear low gear and neutral. You depress the clutch half way to shift from those forward gears and push the pedal all the way down for reverse. If anyone can help or has an old 5056 transmission laying around I would like to hear from you. Thanks

20181005_182534_resized.jpg

20181005_182500_resized.jpg

20181005_182512_resized.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:WRS:

When it was off the truck, did the parking break lever inadvertently get applied?  

InkedRR-65_LI.jpg.af580cc3d88b352802d9c9cdfa1c179b.jpg

Simple, push down, pull up.   :scratchead:

welcomewagon.gif.59e4988179720cda4fff4115896ee3d1.gif61461109_righthorse2.png.c6440808e9f9cbaeb496d81627cdb9c4.png

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

D_Mac

No it is not the parking brake. I can shift it and feel it move into all 3 positions but the wheels do not move. I can even start the engine depress the pedal for reverse and forward and wont budge. I don't want to take it all apart having no experience in transmissions but I guess thats how you get the experience! Pretty much all the parts inside the tranny are discontinued so I really hoping it is something easy.

953 nut

:WRS:

This manual should be helpful.

AMC RULES

Did it stretch, and throw it's old dried up, crusty fwd, reverse belts? 

20180807_165915_LI.jpg.2bdf79a2e5284ef76d168b3f6f91aa6a.jpg

Easy enough to tip up on it's right side and inspect.  

20180807_165906.jpg.ba5f3f22c933ce7b9606d2ca3b1eea8c.jpg

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@D_Mac :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Does it roll in neutral?

When it is running and you shift - does it shift easy? do you hear any binding / squealing?

AMC is on to another possibility...

Also - I would check and see if there is something wedged in there like a stick, bound belt etc...

Start easy before tearing apart the tranny...

:twocents-02cents:

D_Mac

No all the belts are fine. It does not roll. My friend was driving it and he stopped to engage the blades and thats when it decided not to move again. I can shift the lever easily between high neut and low but the rear wheels do not spin. The machine is in such great shape. It didnt get much use. Sat unused in a barn for many years. It even still has the little paper label around where you put the gas in. All original 

20181005_182520_resized.jpg

20181005_182546_resized.jpg

20181005_182500_resized.jpg

• Like 1

71_Bronco

No experience with that style, but one thing that came to my mind is the deck. You said it worked fine until your friend tried to engage the deck.

Did you try driving again with the deck dis-engaged? Maybe the deck has issues causing it to lock up when engaged?

Idk, just spit balling.

Either way, hope you get it working, that's a very cool machine

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Are there any safety switches on these machines that would cause it to do that ?

D_Mac

No there are no safty switches. Not the blades either. The transmission is locked up. Hate to crack it open without any experience. Also I dont think there is any gear oil. There are just zerk fittings for grease. Is that possible?

gwest_ca

Garry

stevasaurus

Right, that is a grease filled transmission and it was filled at the factory...with the intent of never having to go back inside.  Looking at the schematic, it does not look that complicated, but I would exhaust all possibilities before opening.  We need to find a transmission manual also, that explains the steps in order to break down.  Check with your TORO dealer to see if they have something.  PM @TT Terry to see if he has any knowledge of this transmission.  #5056 He might be your best bet to talk with someone who has been in one of these.  :occasion-xmas:  Also, take a good look at all of the linkages and make sure it is all connected...no missing carter pins, etc.

BTW...Welcome to Red Square.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

See there are 5 Woodruff keys used and the one on the outside is at the driven pulley. Make sure that pulley is not spinning on the shaft before you get real serious.

Garry

• Like 2

bc.gold
2 hours ago, D_Mac said:

No there are no safty switches. Not the blades either. The transmission is locked up. Hate to crack it open without any experience. Also I dont think there is any gear oil. There are just zerk fittings for grease. Is that possible?

Your transmission may require corn head grease, comes in tubes for grease gun applications. Using the wrong grease it just piles up in the voids.

Edited by bcgold

D_Mac

I want to thank everyone for the welcomes and advice. I am not sure if I want to try to open it up and maybe do some more damage. I just dont feel comfortable in that so If anyone out there has a spare tranny im interested. The machine is just to nice not to get fixed. Took a good look at everything today and it all seems to be in order underneath. I knocked the roll pin out on the shifter to make sure the lever was moving all the way in and all the way out. It seemed ok and I could feel it knock into each gear but no luck getting the wheels to move.

• Like 1

ericj

is the transmission the same as the reo and wheel horse trail blazer snow blower walk behinds ??

eric j

D_Mac

I am not sure as to what else uses the same transmission. I believe its 5050 or 5056. Maybe someone else knows?

gwest_ca

According to the service bulletin the 5050 was upgraded to the 5056 by installing the service assemblies listed.

When you go to Toro the 5056 was used in 24 different models and years in the later rear engine riders. Many are the R-26 models

I can't make a link to the page stick so go to

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Click on Advanced Search.

Find the Transmission Model box and type in 5056.

Click on Submit in the top right corner of the page.

24 model numbers come up but will take some work to figure them out. Toro recently eliminated the model years. If a model number shows up more than once it is because it was used more than one year.

Garry

• Like 1

c-series don

I'm not exactly sure how to fix it but I do know that little baby would look nice parked next to mine!!! 

image.jpeg

D_Mac

Well if you are in the area Don it could happen. But I am afraid thats all mine is good for is being parked ! Sad to because when I took it form the guys barn it ran and drove fine. I loaded it on the truck stopped by a friends house to show him my great find. We took it off the truck my friend got on it and drove it like 50 yards an it stopped. Engine still runs great, it looks great, it just dosnt move so great. I have another friend who is willing to take it apart over this winter and see what he can find it is at his garage now. Like i said its in to nice shape not to fix but I could see it parked next to yours as well. Yours is a little differant is it an RR47?

c-series don

Mine is an RR-46 making it a 1966. 47 would make it a 1967. The 4 denotes 4hp, not sure if you knew that or not but figured I would add that for those who do not. I really hope/think that it is something that you don't have to take the tranny apart to fix. Please keep us updated on it. Mine was N.O.S when I got it and I've yet to see another tiller steer like it. Rochester is a little bit of a far drive for me to take a picture considering that I'm pretty much at the opposite end of the state !!! If you get it going and can take it to the big show next year I will bring mine, Craig probably will bring his and then we can take the picture!! 

• Like 1

D_Mac

I did not know that about the year and horse power in the model number. I thought you wanted to come pick up mine and park it in your garage ! Looks like there is plenty of room there for another one. I am on the fence as to what to do with it. I know I personally wont be able to repair it. I have a very good friend who is willing to crack it open to see what he can see. With my limited knowledge and experience maybe I should pass it on to someone else before I make matters worse. As you can tell from the photos it is in excellent condition. Original paint, tires, and seat. Fires right up after one or two pulls. When I get a chance im going to pick up a dolly to set it on so I can at least roll it around the garage floor. I would love to find a working transmission from someone and swap them out. In the mean time it still looks cool just sitting there but ..... Horses are meant to run!!

c-series don

Here is my garage, I'm clearly running out of room. I could probably squeeze in one more if my wife doesn't notice! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg