chucksterock

What donor tractor for a good 8 speed?

chucksterock

I have a 520-H that I want to turn into a 520-8.  What donor tractor should I look for to get a strong 8 speed and all the bits and bobs to complete the conversion?

JAinVA

Any 400 series machine and some 300 series with 1 1/8" axles will do the job.Just about any c series as well.

Pullstart

I picked up a ‘78 C-101 roller that had an 8 pinion 8 speed with 1-1/8” axles.  That trans found it’s way into my 502.

• Like 1

JoeM

I have a 416-8 with a good transmission. I bought the machine for the Kohler engine. The machine ran and drove good. No engine, hood, seat, and seat pan. It has all the linkages and lift stuff to do what you want. $100 picked up, I am about 3 hours away.

PM if interested.

Joe

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, chucksterock said:

I have a 520-H that I want to turn into a 520-8.  What donor tractor should I look for to get a strong 8 speed and all the bits and bobs to complete the conversion?

1 hour ago, OILUJ52 said:

I have a 416-8 with a good transmission. I bought the machine for the Kohler engine. The machine ran and drove good. No engine, hood, seat, and seat pan. It has all the linkages and lift stuff to do what you want. $100 picked up, I am about 3 hours away.

PM if interested.

Joe

Chuck.....:text-yeahthat: go with that one.

That's going to be a great way to have most or all of what you need right there.

I'm going to be doing a similar conversion on an early 70's model and there's a lot of little things that are on an 8 speed tractor that hydros don't have.

Best bet is absolutely to buy everything in one shot if you can.

• Like 3

Racinbob

The 76 & 77 B-series have the same transmission too. 

2 hours ago, OILUJ52 said:

PM if interested.

Joe

Even if I already had the transmission that would be the route I'd go.  :)

• Like 2

953 nut

Considering the work you'll have to do in going from a hydro to manual transmission I would suggest you buy the 416-8 from @OILUJ52 and transplant your engine, sheet metal and wheels onto it. Whole lot less work involved.

Look at the exploded views of the 416-8 next to the 520-H and you will see all the linkages, manual lift and wiring that will need to be changed out. Most of the time the lift rocker shaft alone will take a lot of work as they tend to be rusted together and can kick your butt.

• Like 4

richmondred01

953 is spot on.

Its not just a simple swap.

And if you really want a 520-8 message me this spring I may be selling mine and it has low hours, reconditioned engine and an electric lift.

Edited by richmondred01
  • Like 2

chucksterock

Guess I should have explained further than just creating a 520-8.  I want to build a dedicated loader backhoe starting with a 520-h whilst converting to an 8 speed.  The plan in my head is to redesign and fabricate a new frame to incorporate the mounts for the loader and backhoe.  I haven't done a big project in a while and this one has my attention.  For the record I'm an engineer and have a small machine/fabrication shop at home.  And I do have a 520-8 but didn't want to Franken-horse it.

I would like to thank everyone for making the effort to help out by writing a response.  Definitely speeds up the learning curve.

Joe please check your PM, that's a great deal!

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Chuck. Please start a build thread on this one. I think I can speak for the lot of us when I say that this would be fascinating to watch you create.

• Like 1

chucksterock

It would be fun to share this and gather input for the collective mind here.  Probably won't get rolling too soon though and initially will probably spend some time creating 3D models in CAD.  Plus figuring out how to post stuff like that here too.  Should be more fun than work!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, chucksterock said:

It would be fun to share this and gather input for the collective mind here.  Probably won't get rolling too soon though and initially will probably spend some time creating 3D models in CAD.  Plus figuring out how to post stuff like that here too.  Should be more fun than work!

if you become a support or you'll be able to post an unlimited amount of pictures.

You're absolutely right about the collective Minds here.

I present all kinds of questions about all aspects of life and get all kinds of different answers and it's absolutely fantastic.

• Like 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, chucksterock said:

have a 520-8 but didn't want to Franken-horse it.

Good thinkin, have to  excuse now me whilst I go collect my collective mind! :lol:

• Haha 2

cafoose
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

if you become a support or you'll be able to post an unlimited amount of pictures.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

littleredrider

MIght want rethink using an 8-speed for a loader. I like manuals over hydro's, but your hands are gonna be busy with the standard tranny. with a hydro, convert to foot controls, then one hand can be on the wheel with the other on the loader controls. With a standard, if your pushing into a pile of dirt or whatever, you need to operate the controls, and then shift back and forth to get a scoop of dirt. I have a 520H with a loader on it, and tho I have the foot control, it's not on yet. But even with the hydro, your hands are busy using the motion lever and loader controls trying to get it to do what you want. You could move the loader controls to the left side, but then the hoses are gonna be longer and potentially be in the way of something. The 1100 hydro is a pretty strong unit, so don't think you will hurt it. I have a diesel on mine, and almost stalled it couple times, but hydro never twitched...just food for thought....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Good point Little Red... lots of guys here have put a FEL on a 520H but I don't recall any of them reporting 1100 issues with their setup. If you have Matt's pedal kit it would be almost like having a shuttle shift. I would contemplate it if the hubs are set good on the axles, that might be the weak point.. One thing to remember that -8 speed has to at a FULL stop when changing gears. The manual might not be an issue for a skilled/practiced operator tho.

littleredrider

I thought bout doing same exact swap since I have a 310-8 parts tractor, but also want to teach the g/f how to use it. She can't drive the 520-8, and not sure the 606 that I just got for free!!!! She would drive the 518 I built for her, and my son loved it too lol....