Tom.

Wheel Horse 06-42ST01 snow blower idler assembly

Tom.

Hi,

‘I have picked up a 42ST01 snowblower but it is missing the idler bracket and pulleys. I was wondering if anyone had, or could take, some pictures and dimensions of the bracket and pulleys so I can fabricate one.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Tom

gwest_ca

The v-idler pulley is 4" OD and the same one used for the idler pulley on the transmission drive belt C-Series and 300-Series. Click on the picture and look at the list.

Flat idler is 6719 and the replacement is 3-3/32" diameter which is likely the flat OD. A 3-3/4" OD from Stens is also a replacement and suspect that is the flange OD. Click on the picture and look at the list.

6651 spring. Click on the picture

Will have to dig out the snowthrower to get the idler frame dimensions.

Garry

• Excellent 1

Tom.

Hi Garry,

Really appreciate you getting the pulley dimensions and relevant info. If you could get some dimensions of the bracket too that would be super.

Tom

WVHillbilly520H

Here's a picture unfortunately I don't have the 42"  single anymore.

Screenshot_20181005-125048.png

• Thanks 1

Tom.

Thanks for the pic.. just need the dimensions of that bracket now..

Tom

Tom.

Anyone able to help please?!

Tom

gwest_ca

Have not forgotten. Just have not had a chance to get to where the unit is stored. Should be able to get there tonight (Thursday).

Garry

gwest_ca

1/2" diameter round bar 11" long. 1/8" hole drilled 7/32" from the end of the bar for a cotter pin. This cotter pin holds the assembly in the snowthrower frame.

1/4" x 1-1/2" x 9-1/4" flat bar for idler pulleys.

1/2" round hole in center of bar for round rod. This hole just locates the rod for assembly. This is the first weld done on the back side only because the belt may contact a weld on the outside.

Two 3/8-16 drilled and tapped holes in the center of the bar and 8" apart for idler pulleys. 4" center to center each way from rod center.

1/4" x 1-1/4" x 6" flat bar for the spring.

1/2" hole drilled on center and 5/8" from one end. The round bar goes through this hole.

The 3/16" hole for the spring is located 5/8" from the other end and centered 1/4" from the front edge of the bar.

This flat bar has two bends in it to give it an offset of  5/8" center to center. One is 1-1/4" from the end with the 1/2" hole and the next is in the opposite direction 3-1/4" from the end with the 1/2" hole. This offset moves the spring end out from the snowthrower frame and more under the idler pulleys.

No reason why you could not use 1/4" x 1-1/2" flat bar for this part also to simplify it. And it does not need the offset bends. Just weld to the round bar in a different location and use flat washers on the round bar to give the 5/8" offset. The washers would also allow the assembly to be better aligned with the pulleys on the tractor and snowthrower if required.

Clamp the round bar horizontally to a bench with the flat bars hanging over the edge. Clamp it so the long idler bar already welded on is vertical (6 and 12 o'clock). The spring bar is welded on at 3 hours 30 minutes. That is 15 degrees down from horizontal and to the right when looking at the end of the assembly. The hole for the spring is closest to the top edge of the flat bar in this position or at about 3 o'clock.

There is 2-1/2" between the flat bars if you make an offset spring bar. (Flat bars 2-3/4" center to center.)

If you go with a straight spring bar and flat washers the space between the bars is 1-7/8". (Flat bars 2-1/8" center to center)

The spring bar is only welded on one side also and the welds face each other. That way the washers or snowthrower frame have a flat surface to register against.

With the assembly still clamped to the bench with the idler pulley flat bar at 6 and 12 o'clock and the spring hole at about 3 o'clock the flat idler pulley goes in the top hole.

What have I missed?

Garry

Adding

There is a 2-7/8" x 1-3/16" L bracket made from 1/16" x 1-1/6" flat bar that is bolted to the outside of the v-idler with the same bolt to keep the belt in the pulley. The center of the 3/8" mounting hole is 7/16" from the end of the bracket. Any size of flat bar would work.

The pulley mounting bolts extend through the flat bar enough to accept Nylock nuts on the back side to lock the bolts in position.

After all that the illustration looks like the pivot rod is not centered between the idler pulleys. My part number and yours are the same. The illustrations always amaze me for their accuracy but wonder why the difference?

Snowthrower 06-42ST01 pulley assembly SS.jpg

• Excellent 1

gsleezer

What year would the snowblower be?  06-42ST01-8075

Handy Don
5 hours ago, gsleezer said:

What year would the snowblower be?  06-42ST01-8075

Hi. You do realize, I hope, that you've responded to a four year old thread? It might be a good idea to start a new topic with your detailed question (and pictures, if they'd help clarify!)

Good luck! :)