wh500special

RV Questions for national parks

wh500special

I know there are RV’ers here, so I have a query…

My wife and I are kicking around the idea of a trip with our two kids (who will be 12 and 15) to Yellowstone or similar parks next year.  We have never held any interest in RV’s or Motorhomes, but think that for this trip it might be a decent option for us.  Camping isn’t new to us, but bringing along a mini-house is.  We are light travelers (don’t take much with us) and are pretty easy to please.

I realize the bulk of the differences, pros, and cons of dragging around a short trailer versus piloting a smaller motorhome.  I’m interested in hearing from this forum if those who have been to parks like Yellowstone see any functional limitations of either style versus the other within those parks.  Planning to be there a few days.

I’ve been trolling RV forums and camping websites and see that most people seem to conclude that their personal choice is the best fit for this application.  No surprise there I guess.  Like tractors, they also tend to think that their selected brand of RV is the best. Again, so surprise.  But I’m not really looking for which specific vehicle is the best fit, I’m interested in suitability for the task of style of camper.

There are notes that since these parks are so big that it’s nice to have your bathroom and rest home with you throughout the day as you tour (motorhome).  An equal number say a trailer is better because it can be dumped at a basecamp and a smaller vehicle will have an easier time pulling off the road and finding parking at the various congested tourist spots.  But you’re pretty much forced to dump it somewhere and return to that spot each day.  I’m sure there is truth to both, but there might be things to consider that I’ve missed.

I’m not going to tow a car behind a motorhome.  That implies a bigger rig than I have interest in and a small car that I don’t own.

I’m curious about the experiences of those here.  We would try not to go during the summer peak, but who knows.

I don’t have a horse in this race and don’t own either type of conveyance.  Rentals are plentiful and thanks to the abysmal quality and multitudes of used RV’s and trailers available, used ones are generally plentiful and pretty inexpensive.  So getting my hands on something shouldn’t be a big deal. 

My truck is limited in capability so trailer-wise I’m looking at a max of about a 20-footer (ideally, I’d go as short as possible since the intention isn’t to spend much time inside the thing).  In the self-propelled version I’d be looking at the smaller class-C’s up to maybe 24-feet.  No interest in bigger, despite appreciating the wonders and comfort of extra space (I’m just not interested in dealing with it while driving).

We went looking at trailers and class-C’s last weekend (just window shopping to get a feel for how much usable space is in a given footprint) and can see there is a dizzying number of manufacturers and models available that run the gamut from things I like to ultra-luxury models.

It is disappointing to see so many new (and used) pieces of equipment with poorly-aligned cabinet doors, trim that is falling off walls, and general lack of attention to detail by the manufacturer.  And why must most of them be decorated by folks who like country oak cabinetry and ugly sofa patterns? 

The upside to this is the obvious economy of things.

I’m surprised that very few manufacturers look like they put any engineering into these things and are using heavy and cheap materials like wood, particle board, and even ceramic tile (seriously?).  It looks like the only weight concessions some make is in their flimsy construction methods.  But that’s the way of the world I guess.

The sweet spot for us from what I have seen is a 16-foot trailer or a 22(ish)-foot class C.  So I’m not talking big here.  Before we commit for such an adventure, we’d rent something for a local trip a weekend or two to get a better feel for the annoyances and benefits of having a piece of equipment like this at our disposal.  Right now, I have no plans to buy anything.

I’m sure to generate more functional and practical RV/TT related questions if we decide to put ourselves though this experience.  But I am first interested in hearing opinions about the logistics of the two types of options in these types of parks.

Thanks,

Steve

PS (edit)  - I forgot to add that I see the false-economy in scrounging up an RV for a single trip compared to using tents and hotels.  That's not really the point of the trip since we are thinking the RV thing would be a fun experience.

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 1

oliver2-44

I looked into renting a class C a few years ago, and now that I just retired will probable rent one soon.  from a rental aspect it made the most sense to drive/fly to the area (Yellowstone, Colorado rockies (denver) etc and rent the RV there. The charge for mileage on rentals adds up quickly. 

• Like 2

cschannuth

Unless you’re planning to camp multiple times per year I would definitely rent until you’re sure what you like and what you want. Older RVs are definitely less expensive but the quality is so poor that they do not stand up very well. Especially if they are stored outside. In addition, the appliances and heat/AC units are very, very expensive to repair and/or replace. If you have time, rent a tow behind and a drivable and see which you prefer. 

An advantage to owning your own unit is once you have them stocked with your normal supplies, getting away is very easy. Just pack up a few clean clothes and the food you want and you’re off. 

• Like 3

AndyK149

^ this.

Almost 100% of RVs are garbage.  You really have to get over that if you want to get one.  Otherwise, rent. If buying a used one, how it is stored and how it was maintained is probably more important than its age.  A 2 or 3 year old unit could easily be leaking and be in worse shape than an older one stored inside or covered.  Most do not hold up to elements well, they are all poorly assembled, exterior parts don't hold up well to UV rays.  They all take a lot of maintenance: it's a combination of a cheap vehicle, a cheap house, and it all bounces down the road!  Major, major buyer beware market here.  I've heard some people recommend getting a clean 3-5 year old unit vs. a new one, since all the manufacturing defects have probably been figured out by then!!

It sounds like a small class C is what you want.  Class Cs are good for road tripping because they are more compact than a truck+trailer or RV hauling a car.  Small class Cs usually sleep you over the cab but have all the amenities you would need.  Class C's are also safer for driving since they have a regular vehicle cab and chassis that has passed crash tests.  Class A's are just cardboard boxes on a drive train and they do not crash well.  High-end Class A diesel pushers are an exception and can be very well built but can easily be several hundred thousand $$s.

I have a 30ft Toyhauler so I can echo your concerns with a having a big trailer - it is terrible for stop n go road tripping.  I race motorcycles and leave the trailer at the racetrack all weekend and have the flexibility of taking my truck separately when I need to drive somewhere.  So, trailers are good for some things, but bad for others.  

If you plan on using it a lot, RVs are truly wonderful.  You can have a house anywhere!  If you are planning on having it for one trip, or occasional use, it is better to rent.  Otherwise you end up maintaining it more than you use it.  

Edited by AndyK149
  • Like 2

Pullstart

We had a motor home first, by happenstance.  My inlaws gave theirs to us, we were the only ones who ever cleaned mice out and used it.  It was totaled after us having it about 5 years and 2 awnings.  The value we insured it for was about half what it appraised for, but it paid us back the price we had paid to park it at a seasonal site for a number of years, so essentially it was a free stay.  Once that was gone, (a 33’ 1994 Damon Intruder, powered by a 454 Chevy, netting us about 6 mpg at 65 mph), we settled on a trailer as a replacement, and recently found “Norman” to pull it, a 2001 Chevy Duramax.  It seems that averaging cost of ownership and fuel cost makes having a truck and trailer much more efficient.  Additionally, I bet I’ll get 9-12 mpg with the truck hauling the trailer and as mentioned, I could unhook at the campground and drive to town, sight see, etc.  I think if I were retired, sold my house and wanted to travel, a motor home might be a better bet again.  Typically there is more storage space below the skirts, so there is more room to haul gear for camp fires, cooking, etc.  Storage wise, our ‘94 motorhome was better laid out than the new Grand Design Imagine 3170, but with the slide outs of the camper there is a ton more sleeping space.  Basically, get out and travel and see the world, and enjoy whatever you’re cruising in!  I hope I helped instead of confused you.

image.jpg

Mows4three

My two cents worth....

My wife and I just got got back from a 16-day trip Way Out West.   Took a plain Jane, nothing fancy, mid-sized SUV that got 25.3 MPG average for the whole trip.  The wife and I went to 15 National Parks, National Monuments, National Battlefields, Reservations and National Forests.  We had a lot of seat time to discuss how we were traveling and if we would do it again, what would we change. Campers/RVs were a subject we talked about throughout the entire trip.   We discussed the pros and cons of renting an RV if we would ever do it again.  Here are some of our thoughts...

Pros:

- We would have everything we needed at our disposal, all the time.

- No hotel charges.

- Same bed every night. 

- Stop anywhere, anytime and sleep, catch a nap or just goof off.  The world is our oyster and we could see it at our leisure.

Cons:

- The cost.  Either the purchase price or rental charge - it's still going to cost you.  How much you will realistically use a purchased unit has to to factor into your decision so you can calculate the expected cost per camping day.  Rental RVs give you the ability to budget a fixed daily user fee.  

- Campground fees if you don't set up in a Walmart.  You've still got to pay the Piper.   National Park camping fees are pretty expensive, in my opinion.  Private campground fees can run from cheap to very expensive depending on the amenities.   You will also be camping next to a whole range of other campers.  Better bring your earplugs.  Note that some cities have ordinances against parking overnight in campers and they enforce them.

- Fuel costs.   Your gasoline use will be much more per mile than an SUV.   I imagine at altitude, where my turbocharged four-cylinder struggled, an RV would really suck wind.

- Visibility.  In my limited experience with an RV, for anyone but the front seat passengers, the view isnt spectacular, especially in the economy models.  

- Maneuverability.  I can't tell you how many times we have seen something that has enticed us to stop on a dime or turn around to go back and revisit or photograph the scenery.   You just can't do that in an RV.  Most of the National Parks we visited had designated turn offs that would fill up fast if there were bison, elk, grizzly bears or mountain goats visible.   Kiss that opportunity goodbye if you're in a RV.   Certain parks we have been to even bar certain vehicles from some of their roads due to narrow roads, steepness of the road grade and the combined weight of the pulling and towed vehicle.  These roads also tend to be the most visually interesting.

- Dining choices.  If you bring your own kitchen you feel compelled to save money by making your own meals (at least we would).  Heck, I am on vacation.  I want to be pampered and explore the local food culture.  Additionally, I sure don't want me or the wife to do any dishes.

- Parking.  I can power slide an SUV into a parallel parking spot in downtown "Any City, USA" and do want I want while the RVs circle town looking for a spot to park their rigs.   OK, I would never power slide an SUV intentionally with my wife in the front seat, but when she's not there, all bets are off. 

Summary:  

Our determination (yours may be different and I'm sure others here will have their own opinions similar or wildly differing from ours), is to continue to stay in hotels, eat in decent restaurants, enjoy the local culture, be highly mobile and see the USA from the front seat of our Chevrolet.  

Good Luck with your decision.  

Dave

IMG_7028.jpg

Edited by Mows4three
Add photo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold

I love old Rv's they make good trailers.

Someone had hauled this one to the landfill, full of dry rot.

Renting is  your best option.

image1.png

image2.png

image3.png

image4.png

image5.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH

Saw the whole country as a kid hauling rented campers behind the bomber station wagon...3 weeks every summer... would not change it for the world...

We then camped with our kids - tents...Many of the same trips...not the same experience. Campgrounds have changed and not for the better. Loud, inconsiderate folks a lot of times. Changed the whole experience unfortunately...not for the better...

I would still tent camp myself but not campgrounds - do the state forest routine - way less crowded and a lot less nonsense... but I would not do it in an RV or camper due to costs. Simply can't justify the expense per night vs. simple hotels...

:twocents-02cents:

wh500special

Thanks for the comments so far guys.  

As usual, I think I muddied the waters with my loquaciousness.

I’m principally interested in opinions of navigating the various national parks in a MH versus a small travel trailer.   I’ve not been to those places, so don’t really have a feel for what’s practical out there.   

I think mows4three and I are synced up pretty well, on this but I truly appreciate all the comments so far. 

I dont see us being serious RVers in either the short or long term.  But who knows.  One of my kids has special needs and tent camping isn’t really a great option for us anymore as a group of four, so the semi-private space of a small R.V. might prove more conducive to his quirks than a string of unfamiliar hotel rooms.  

I make no pretense about the economics of any choice.  Renting either a trailer or truck is doable and not unreasonable. 

We figure it’s time we take the kids on this sort of trip since the window where our teenagers can handle being with us for long periods of time is rapidly closing.  

It might be fun.

Or a disaster.  

Either way, it’s an adventure.  

Steve

• Like 2

paxz71usa

Hello wh500special,

My wife and I have spent quite a lot of our trips out west in National Park campgrounds. We have a 35' fifth wheel. We've not been to Yellowstone, but have spent most of our trips in Southern Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and North East Arizona. The down side of our bigger RV is, even though the Parks are in many cases over a million acres, the campgrounds where made years ago and larger RV and campers can be a real challenge to get in and some even limit size. With that said the upside to staying in the park is that you are there! Two years ago we where in New Mexico with a first come first serve campground (only 20 sites). Needless to say we where not one of the lucky ones. The next closet campground was 95 miles!!! We made this trip three days in a row. The other thing to keep in mind is not to try to visit several parks in the same trip. The distances between parks in the west can be hundreds of miles and the bulk of your time is spent driving. 

PS.Since my wife and I love to hike we usually spend several days in one park. What we have found is that most people tend to come in, go to the visitors center, watch a video, walk on a paved path to see some artifacts, buy post cards and then leave and drive several hours to do the same thing at the next park. If you get a mile or so away from the visitors center we rarely encountered many people at all, so plan at least one long walk or hike. Hope you enjoy your trip and fall in love with the west like we did!

Gary

Edited by paxz71usa
  • Like 2

AndyK149

Really great comments on here from other RV-ers and outdoor enthusiasts!

My vote is for class C!

Mows4three

BCGold:        That's one fine trailer hitch hitching device.   Not exactly sure how it works, but you sure threw enough iron at it!!!!   Ha!                    

Cheers!            

Dave

• Haha 1

Racinbob

We've RV'ed/camped pretty much all our lives and have had everything from >20' to a 38' triple axle/triple slide 5th wheel and a 34' class A motorhome. When we first moved to Florida we had the motorhome and pretty much lived in it. We ended up selling it and buying a 38' 5th wheel and a F-350 to pull it. For living space you can't beat a big 5th wheel. But that's not what you're looking for. It's been years since we've been to national parks and I'm sure some things have changed but in the past they often had restrictions on the size as well as limited hookups. For what you're wanting to do I'd probably go with a smaller tow behind (bunkhouse with the kids?) and make sure it had sizable black/gray and fresh water tanks so you can self sustain longer. Of course they won't be as large as the big boys but some of them can barely last a day without dumping and refilling. Having the ability to self sustain several days could be handy.

I'm glad you mentioned the false economy of RV'ing. Ultimately it will cost you more. But you're so right on the experience. I would love to have your plans on our horizon but it's not likely to happen at our age. You're thinking this through well and I'm sure whatever decision you make will create great memories for your family. :)

• Like 1

wh500special

Thanks.

We've been looking into this a little more and I think we are leaning toward the separate trailer and tow vehicle camp.  It would allow us to do day trips and just operate out of a basecamp.

In looking at the smaller motorhomes I noticed that while some of the rear seats do have seatbelts, the seats themselves generally seem to be shoddily constructed of wood that I can't imagine holding up well in an accident.  Plus, the amount of stuff flying around inside might make for an interesting scenario.

I don't plan to crash, but I think I'd feel more comfortable in the cage of a normal truck than in the motorhome.  Of course, there IS trailer sway...

Rental wise, the trailers look to be more economical too since they don't track mileage on them.  And after ditching the thing daily we'd have full freedom to go anywhere the park service would allow a normal car to go.

I'm pretty excited about this.  At first I thought it would just be headache after headache, but the more I thought about it that's really how MOST family trips go anyway.  This would break us out of our shell for a different kind of trip.

Thanks again for the input,

Steve

• Like 1

AndyK149

I think that's a good choice.  Just keep in mind that it can be hard to find a place to leave a trailer.  There are RV parks that you can use but you really have to plan ahead.