arrkerr

C-141 drive belt sanity check

arrkerr

My trusty '78 C-141 8-speed was starting to slip last winter when pushing snow.  The belt still looks pretty good, but I've not changed it in the 15 or so years that I've had the tractor and its mostly used to push snow so it seems reasonable.

I'm on my second belt order in the last week, the first was so loose it didn't grip, the second one is too tight and doesn't let up enough with the clutch all of the way in.  Its close, but just slightly too small.

I've seen mention of anywhere from a toro 106496 -  5/8" x 85” (85.6”), or 7478 (84.22”) or 7473 (81.9”) for the C-141.  The one that is too tight is supposed to be a Toro 7473 replacement.  It isn't a Toro brand, so that may just be the problem, but I've put non-Toro belts on numerous other WHs and never had so many issues!

Maybe the c-141 is more picky than the other horses, or maybe I just have bad luck.  But before I go and spend yet another $30 and wait another week on a belt, can I just get a sanity check?

The last two belt changes I've put the whole darn thing back together before I've tested - lesson learned :).  Although I'm getting really good at swapping drive belts.  Amazingly my C-141 didn't have a single stuck screw or bolt, crazy the difference between it - my oldest WH - and some of the newer ones I've had that weren't as loved in their lifetime.

Skipper

AFAIK you need the 7473. Any 5/8" x 82" belt should work just fine.

Why not just measure the old belt, and get one the same length, or closest match smaller. :-)

And those jumps in belt size there, those are big. No wonder it acts up from one to the other.

You do not have an adjust on the clutch lever, so that you could loosen it up a bit?

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Get a 7473 and don't frustrate yourself

• Like 1

arrkerr
11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

AFAIK you need the 7473. Any 5/8" x 82" belt should work just fine.

Why not just measure the old belt, and get one the same length, or closest match smaller. :-)

And those jumps in belt size there, those are big. No wonder it acts up from one to the other.

You do not have an adjust on the clutch lever, so that you could loosen it up a bit?

Thanks for the reply.  I'm terrible at measuring old belts unless I cut them so they lie flat, and since my old one isn't *that* bad I didn't want to screw it up.  But you're right, I should at least be able to get it within an inch.

pfrederi
29 minutes ago, arrkerr said:

Thanks for the reply.  I'm terrible at measuring old belts unless I cut them so they lie flat, and since my old one isn't *that* bad I didn't want to screw it up.  But you're right, I should at least be able to get it within an inch.

Put a mark on your workbench and on the belt (outside) Then roll the belt along the bench till the mark on it comes back to the bench.  Mark that point.  measure between the two bench marks...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Skipper

Try the tight belt again, and adjust a little bit on part nr 22.

If it ain't adjusted right, it may restrict the clutch idler from loosening fully up

iplimage.png.18841e2ada74a0ad8fb1cbe26bc4153b.png

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

arrkerr
15 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Put a mark on your workbench and on the belt (outside) Then roll the belt along the bench till the mark on it comes back to the bench.  Mark that point.  measure between the two bench marks...

Darn thats just too obvious!  Thanks for that, I'll remember it!

• Like 2

arrkerr
16 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Try the tight belt again, and adjust a little bit on part nr 22.

If it ain't adjusted right, it may restrict the clutch idler from loosening fully up

iplimage.png.18841e2ada74a0ad8fb1cbe26bc4153b.png

Thanks, I should have checked that right away!  I bet you're right!  Thats what I get for working on it at 1am, brain wasn't fully engaged, but I wanted to get it out of the garage - my wife doesn't fully support my collection so I try to keep them hidden in the barn, but the tools are in the garage ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut

The 5/8 X 82" belt will be listed as "B-79"  or  "5L-820". The sleeve on the belts at Tractor Supply will have both listed on it. Their Kevlar belts are great.

gwest_ca

Item 22 only changes the pedal position for operator comfort.

Garry