Pullstart

Mrs. Pullstart

Pullstart

First things first, trying to get it to run and move by itself.  The coil is missing and the top of the voltage regulator is loose, making me question it’s integrity.  I popped a battery in, got a new s/g belt and pushed the button.  From what I can tell on the wiring diagram, I shouldn’t need a key to get it to roll over, correct?  I get a click out of the reg, but no starter movement.  Of course, the wiring looks a tad hokey, so the next logical move is to pull the switches and ammeter out of the dash and check the wiring.

502159F7-6D8C-401F-9044-A12016781301.jpeg

953 nut
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I shouldn’t need a key to get it to roll over, correct?  I get a click out of the reg, but no starter movement.  Of course, the wiring looks a tad hokey, so the next logical move is to pull t

You are correct. You do need good wiring and a good S/G. Jumper cables directly to the S/G will let you know if it will turn over.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You are correct. You do need good wiring and a good S/G. Jumper cables directly to the S/G will let you know if it will turn over.

Wouldn’t ya know, there’s a pair of cables right next to the tractor...

• Haha 1

Pullstart

Ok, please shoot me down if I’m off my rocker.

I have a C-101 that lost the trans to a project and has a spare 8 speed sitting under a bench waiting to be re-assembled.  Runs great, but is starting to become a parts rig after yanking the trans.  

I picked up that Charger 12 with a broken connecting rod.  I have no reason to believe the trans isn’t fine, if it was parked because the rod broke.

and Momma’s 753.  I jumped the generator straight from the battery and it only barely budges the belt, maybe 1/16”.  Trans is locked up.  

Now... my evil mind hit me tonight when I was arranging the garage.

753 tins, Charger 12 auto trans (has hydraulic lift too), 10 horse thumper.  I think with some creativity, I might-could shoehorn the 10 under the round hood without cutting the hood with an exhaust stack OR mandrel bent header and creative engine placement... even if I have to channel or Z-notch the frame.  I’ve got the spare 502 frame if I screw it up too bad.  I’m sure a belt guard would have to be modified heavily.  I bet Momma would love the auto trans, if it worked correctly!  

Ideas, input, rotten tomatoes?  Toss whatever you have my way...  worse that can happen is I dream about tractors for no good reason yet another night.

1053-A?  Other model number ideas that would make sense?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

With the right amount of persistence anything can and will work.

• Like 2

19richie66

1D20E528-3104-4002-B12D-8D299F5DDFB4.gif

• Haha 4

953 nut
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

1053-A?  Other model number ideas that would make sense?

I like the direction you are going with this. Best bet may be to adapt the sheet metal from the 753 to the Charger 12 chassis to avoid having to recreate the speed control/direction control mechanism.

It would end up being a  1073.  First digit/digits = HP   Center digit = 5; electric start,  7; hydro-static with electric start Last digit = Year.

• Like 2

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I like the direction you are going with this. Best bet may be to adapt the sheet metal from the 753 to the Charger 12 chassis to avoid having to recreate the speed control/direction control mechanism.

It would end up being a  1073.  First digit/digits = HP   Center digit = 5; electric start,  7; hydro-static with electric start Last digit = Year.

I think I knew that it should be a 1073 in the garage...  coming in and typing it up, it wouldn’t cross my mind again no matter how hard I shook the other way!  

I think before I commit to the entire project, I’ll see about getting the 10 running on the Charger frame, to prove the transmission.  Then we’ll see how the rest of it goes.  I think I like the idea of swapping the 753 tins, but I’d most likely need to shorten the frame a bit (not out of the question).  That would greatly improve the steering too Richard!

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I love gear drive tractors for furrow plowing but when it comes to a run around tractor or a mower/blower setup it is hard to beat a hydro.  That would make a really convenient machine and I think Mrs. Pullstart would really like the final product. It would have the vintage round hood/fender looks with the modern convenience of the hydro tranny. I also like the idea of using the newest style of frame that you can.  When you can simplify a complex build like this, do it.  Can’t wait to see what you come up with Kevin...:coffee:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I love gear drive tractors for furrow plowing but when it comes to a run around tractor or a mower/blower setup it is hard to beat a hydro.  That would make a really convenient machine and I think Mrs. Pullstart would really like the final product. It would have the vintage round hood/fender looks with the modern convenience of the hydro tranny. I also like the idea of using the newest style of frame that you can.  When you can simplify a complex build like this, do it.  Can’t wait to see what you come up with Kevin...:coffee:

Though I’d love to see the hydro (lift) in action, I’m not so sure if it would ever see real work.... but there’s no reason it couldn’t if needed!  I have that zero turn now, and most likely won’t ever need to blow snow with my plow trucks around.  At the very least, I’ll be glad to see all my family get on “their” tractors and we take a spin in the field, or head to the nearest Big Show, etc.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

82Caddy

If you want to stuff a big block kohler under a short frame hood, you'll need a few things:

-Short oil pan (available on eBay ~30$), will need to trim the oil dipper for the short pan

-Fill gap on bottom of big block engine where pan doesn't cover the overhang.  There is a thread made by Kelly about identifying kohler block styles.  Check that out for more details about what needs to be done on the small pan big block engines.

-Your belt guards will not line up correctly (block spacing is different on small vs big engines for pullies/trans comobos). I'm not sure how the idler pulley is on a hydro, so you'll have to check that belt spacing as well.

-Belt length, I don't remember if I used the short frame belt or had to get a different one.

That's all I can think of right now from my short frame big block project.

Edited by 82Caddy
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
59 minutes ago, 82Caddy said:

If you want to stuff a big block kohler under a short frame hood, you'll need a few things:

-Short oil pan (available on eBay ~30$), will need to trim the oil dipper for the short pan

-Fill gap on bottom of big block engine where pan doesn't cover the overhang.  There is a thread made by Kelly about identifying kohler block styles.  Check that out for more details about what needs to be done on the small pan big block engines.

-Your belt guards will not line up correctly (block spacing is different on small vs big engines for pullies/trans comobos). I'm not sure how the idler pulley is on a hydro, so you'll have to check that belt spacing as well.

-Belt length, I don't remember if I used the short frame belt or had to get a different one.

That's all I can think of right now from my short frame big block project.

Thanks @82Caddy!  I recall @Kelly‘s post about identifying blocks and pans, I’ll have to look for that.  If anyone finds it, feel free to post a link in here...  @953 nut?  I know you’re a search engine machine!

Did some sketching today to explain my idea to Jada and Rylee.  My girls and I figure we’re gonna have to pull off the build before the unveiling to Momma.  And figure a name too.  @PeacemakerJack I know you like names..  we were thinking of:  Mrs. Putt Putt, Monster Putt, Liberty, Freedom (stars and stripes ideas) but nothing is really sticking right now.

It would be awesome if some day it ended up with either Hoosiers (she’s a racer girl, it’s in her blood) or the High Lifter Outlaw UTV tires (she also loves a good mud boggin’), but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself yet.

8F62CA3E-BE99-466C-9834-F6E9C5AE1E31.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

Hey look, it’s a sticky in the engines forum!

• Like 1

953 nut

The Charger shift tunnel will probably need to stay and a seat support box of some sort to go over the hydro pump. Not too sure about having to shorten the frame. I would think the hood could need to be lengthened as needed but space will be an issue if the frame was shortened.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I can see what you mean about the tunnel or box needing to go over the hydro trans.  It’s a good 6” taller than a gear box!

CAB995BD-5CF2-425D-94B6-AC20E863C113.jpeg

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Wow! Kevin, you may have opened a “can of worms” by asking “the storyman” to throw his hat into the tractor naming ring.  Let me explain to you a couple of instances how I have come up with names and then I’ll make some suggestions for you that I have.  Joining the GT hobby with Cub Cadets first back about a decade ago, at first they were nameless. Then as I collected more of them, I decided that names would help for the ones that I was keeping. My cousin named my diesel CubKub for Cub Cadet/Kubota engine.

Tractors that I no longer own include Cubbie and Cubber.

Judges Cub 100 we call “the Mule” because of its plow capabilities.

Claudia named her Case GT “Casey”.

When I got into Wheel Horses, the naming options opened up for several reasons. First and foremost, should a person want to do it, many famous horses in history have names. For instance, Caleb chose to name his 854 “Comanche” because that was the unions sole survivor of the battle of the Little Big Horn.  He was General Custer famous mount and since Caleb’s tractor is an amazing condition survivor, we thought it a fitting name.  

Some names work, others don’t.  Whatever you decide, you try it and see if it will stick.  Two of my Local Circle plow buddies got Raiders in the last couple of years. I tried to get them to name them “Lyle” and “Howie” after to of the most famous NFL Raiders players of the late 1970’s but it was a no go!  Maybe because we are in Packer country...:eusa-doh:

However, for a name to work on any machine, it needs to feel natural and not to elaborate.  Simple and easy to roll off the tongue.  

Mrs. Pullstart has a very interesting horse to start with since it has the unique stars theme.  I really like the name “Liberty” for the tractor but that got my story brain going.  I thought, “What is more patriotic than George Washington?” He rode horses throughout the war for independence and since I’m about 25 years out of high school, it was time to research what their names were—Nelson and Blueskin. Very interesting stories on both horses and worth the read. Nelson would be a fun name but not my first choice for the tractor at hand. Blueskin would be great on @ebinmaine’s blue horse but he has already named it.  So then I started to look through the long list of famous American war horses.  Here are some that I liked...

—Captain

—Cincinnati call it “Cinny” for short

—Red Eye

—Traveller

—Red Pepper (only if it is a ‘spicy’ horse like @fast88pu‘s latest concoction!)

—Duke (a personal favorite because it’s tie in with one of my favorite actor/patriots-John Wayne)

BUT THEN...I stumbled across the name Sybil Ludington.  Does that ring a bell with anyone reading this? Probably not.  I’m not sure that I ever heard the name either. Apparently she was a feisty 16 year old who grew up in the home of a famous military man from the Colonial period in America.  The same night of Paul Revere’s famous ride she was called upon to do the same thing.  The man that had come to her families door was too weary to go on rousting the militia.  Her father had more important obligations at the moment and so she was called upon to carry the important message on her faithful steed that night.  The horses name was “Star”!  I thought that would fit well with Mrs. pullstart’s machine for obvious reasons.

If you don’t care for the post Kevin, you can ask the mods to make it disappear but don’t say I didn’t warn you!  You asked for the storyman to give you a few names.  Maybe one of these will spur some thoughts of your own or maybe you like one of them...

I’ll continue to follow along.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
19 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Wow! Kevin, you may have opened a “can of worms” by asking “the storyman” to throw his hat into the tractor naming ring.  Let me explain to you a couple of instances how I have come up with names and then I’ll make some suggestions for you that I have.  Joining the GT hobby with Cub Cadets first back about a decade ago, at first they were nameless. Then as I collected more of them, I decided that names would help for the ones that I was keeping. My cousin named my diesel CubKub for Cub Cadet/Kubota engine.

Tractors that I no longer own include Cubbie and Cubber.

Judges Cub 100 we call “the Mule” because of its plow capabilities.

Claudia named her Case GT “Casey”.

When I got into Wheel Horses, the naming options opened up for several reasons. First and foremost, should a person want to do it, many famous horses in history have names. For instance, Caleb chose to name his 854 “Comanche” because that was the unions sole survivor of the battle of the Little Big Horn.  He was General Custer famous mount and since Caleb’s tractor is an amazing condition survivor, we thought it a fitting name.  

Some names work, others don’t.  Whatever you decide, you try it and see if it will stick.  Two of my Local Circle plow buddies got Raiders in the last couple of years. I tried to get them to name them “Lyle” and “Howie” after to of the most famous NFL Raiders players of the late 1970’s but it was a no go!  Maybe because we are in Packer country...:eusa-doh:

However, for a name to work on any machine, it needs to feel natural and not to elaborate.  Simple and easy to roll off the tongue.  

Mrs. Pullstart has a very interesting horse to start with since it has the unique stars theme.  I really like the name “Liberty” for the tractor but that got my story brain going.  I thought, “What is more patriotic than George Washington?” He rode horses throughout the war for independence and since I’m about 25 years out of high school, it was time to research what their names were—Nelson and Blueskin. Very interesting stories on both horses and worth the read. Nelson would be a fun name but not my first choice for the tractor at hand. Blueskin would be great on @ebinmaine’s blue horse but he has already named it.  So then I started to look through the long list of famous American war horses.  Here are some that I liked...

—Captain

—Cincinnati call it “Cinny” for short

—Red Eye

—Traveller

—Red Pepper (only if it is a ‘spicy’ horse like @fast88pu‘s latest concoction!)

—Duke (a personal favorite because it’s tie in with one of my favorite actor/patriots-John Wayne)

BUT THEN...I stumbled across the name Sybil Ludington.  Does that ring a bell with anyone reading this? Probably not.  I’m not sure that I ever heard the name either. Apparently she was a feisty 16 year old who grew up in the home of a famous military man from the Colonial period in America.  The same night of Paul Revere’s famous ride she was called upon to do the same thing.  The man that had come to her families door was too weary to go on rousting the militia.  Her father had more important obligations at the moment and so she was called upon to carry the important message on her faithful steed that night.  The horses name was “Star”!  I thought that would fit well with Mrs. pullstart’s machine for obvious reasons.

If you don’t care for the post Kevin, you can ask the mods to make it disappear but don’t say I didn’t warn you!  You asked for the storyman to give you a few names.  Maybe one of these will spur some thoughts of your own or maybe you like one of them...

I’ll continue to follow along.

How could one not care for such a perfect post?  I love the idea of Star, I’m going to read this to the girls as we start our school day, then we’ll vote on Star!

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

Who would’ve “thunk” that you would get a history lesson for the girls from the :wh: forum?:rolleyes:

• Like 2

LengerichKA88

Since it’s for the misses, you could name it “Rosie” short for “Roosevelt” after Captain James Roosevelt USMC, FDRs son, and Executive Officer of the 2nd Raider Battalion during WWII🤷🏻‍♂️😂

*I was going through catching up on notifications “pre coffee” and got twisted around... another one was talking about a Raider, so disregard, until it’s time to name a new Raider 😂

Edited by Lengerich8
  • Like 2

953 nut
On 10/17/2018 at 11:29 AM, pullstart said:

And figure a name too.

How about John Philip Sousa?     He wroth  Stars and Stripes Forever, seems fitting to me.             :ychain:

• Like 1

Vinylguy

Shiftless

Old Glory

Tons of good ideas so far.

784607849_oldglory.jpg.f2ee1cbcb1ac92dfc301a2972456d4ef.jpg

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

I think I’m really sold on Star.  It fits Josh’s requirements of rolling off the tongue a little better than John Philip Sousa!  Rylee is in, Jada wants to come up with something that “nobody knows about.”  I have to hand it to her for wanting to be unique, but I’m gonna have to work on her anyways.

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack

The BIG QUESTION—what does Mrs Pullstart stay about the name situation? Does she have an opinion or is it up to you and the girls? 

19richie66

Well Betsy Ross sewed the stars on the first American flag and I’m sure there is a famous horse out there somewhere with the name “Betsy”...... or you could go with Monique 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1