mhlmeader

Sears suburban 1965?

WHX??

Wow looks like the perfect candidate for just such a project Mike! :handgestures-thumbupright: The motor appears to be a 241 built for a short frame horse and would be reusable for a multitude of other projects. Whatever you do please try and keep the seat and rear end if possible....they are just plain cool!  Also try and do a build thread as many here would be interested. :)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Machineguy

Wow! 

I’m gonna be watching this! Cool stuff! 

Machineguy

@mhlmeader

I’ve got a Sears myself and the Stover K I’ll be getting running thanks to your information. 

I’m gonna be watching! :ph34r:

11A5621B-6124-4E96-BD74-BD05C5E58356.jpeg

11BFDAE0-8C9F-4186-BBB7-5AA4EEAC999C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

mhlmeader

There was a suburban 725 that is wwwaaaaayyy prettier than this one that i looked at yesturday, i should have bought it, there were a few things not quitevright with it or atleast i didnt understand about the tractor at the moment.....but i saw this one....going in knowing it hadnt been attempted to being restored, so i woudnt feel bad about having to re- enginnerer a liitle bit to fit my needs. .  Prolly overpaid a little bit, but i figured the kohler engine alone had some value to it, and the old fella that sold it to me was i nice guy!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Machineguy
14 minutes ago, mhlmeader said:

There was a suburban 725 that is wwwaaaaayyy prettier than this one that i looked at yesturday, i should have bought it, there were a few things not quitevright with it or atleast i didnt understand about the tractor at the moment.....but i saw this one....going in knowing it hadnt been attempted to being restored, so i woudnt feel bad about having to re- enginnerer a liitle bit to fit my needs. .  Prolly overpaid a little bit, but i figured the kohler engine alone had some value to it, and the old fella that sold it to me was i nice guy!!

Yep, a good Kohler is worth decent money and older model David Bradley, Ropers and Sears like that are sought after. I’d say you probably did okay. Gonna be a cool project and I’ll be looking forward to seeing the progress! 

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, WHX21 said:

do a build thread 

Yes please.

I'd love to see you do that.

• Like 1

mhlmeader

If i do a build thread, which section would i post that in?  Other brands?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Absolutely.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Travas
      By Travas
      My sear st16 has a blown engine.its right at the bottom of the cooling fins, I believe the cylinder comes off seperate from the case. Not sure what in side looks lilke. all know is the its probaly filled with piston or con rod or something. the engine turns over half way and stops dead. the tractor is in pieces but i have all the peices i believe included the original owners manual. in great condition. Anywhere I can get that part? Or should I put different motor on it? backround info on the tractor. This sears is one of many lawn tractors on my grandfathers. He took great care of like everthing else he owned. sometime ago, it blew up and started taking it apart. the hood is off and put on a snapper outside to protect the engine. i have a box of parts sitting on the seat. its missing a rear wheel because i took it off for my grandpa because it fits his snowblower with a shattered rim. The Sears is sitting in the back of a shed so its not gonna get any worse. the mower deck is the only attachment i know of and its sitting outside somewhere. My plan is to restore the tractor and use it for its intended purpose. Any thoughts or suggestions?   I will put some pictures up soon.

• mhlmeader
      By mhlmeader
      Hi folks, It was suggested I start a build thread on this little project Im gonna attempt.  And I gotta admit, Im a little nervous about it, cause I've never tried it before.  My personal ground rules for this are keep it fun and keep it simple.  I`ve watched several youtube videos of hit/miss garden tractors and some of them are mechanical works of art.  But "dammit Jim!" I`m an electrician, not a mechanical engineer.  So here goes!!!

I picked up this sears suburban yesturday.  Its a hot mess.  Got it from a nice old timer about an hour away from me.  Kohler engine seems to run very good, and the tractor would drive, But no reverse.  My initial thought was thats a deal breaker for me.  My assumption was that the tranny was similar to alot of other tractors in that it had multiple gears inside it...1,2,3 and a reverse.  I didnt want to tackle trying to fix that sorta thing.   Well, i was wrong, and actualy the fella explained to me how the reverse was belt driven and he could never get it to work, and probably just needed adjusting or a proper belt.  Hmmmmmm..ok!!  So anyway, got the tractor brought it home.  

If anybody has any insight as to the model and year of this tractor please chime in, i was told it was a 1965 Suburban.?

Came with bits and pieces of the original engine also.......

• Rob R
      By Rob R
      Don't want to be "stoned" off this site but wanted to show you the last restoration (working tractor)
      I finished with a Sears Suburban SS15 which was covered but in the "woods" for 20+ years. Was 
      totally worth the effort and the thump of the OLD B&S 15  is a Joy...... Here's some Before and Afters
      Everything from the carb to the transmission need work but it was and is a solid as a rock......!