ebinmaine

How do you pick up / put down / move around your heavy engines?

Pullstart
20 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That's the source of the question...

C160 engine removal for cleaning and painting.

Then installation.

You could always slide it over a smidge, lay some 2x4’s onto the frame and floor, then slide it off for prep work...

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

You could always slide it over a smidge, lay some 2x4’s onto the frame and floor, then slide it off for prep work...

I thought about doing Just that but onto a table.

• Like 1

rjg854

I've used a tall step ladder, a bit of chain and a come along. 

• Like 1

Chris G

I use a foldable cherry picker. Use it for lifting engines on to my little roll around work cart and use it to hold bigger parts up for painting.

20170716_134006.jpg

20170721_123108.jpg

20180621_133523.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Machineguy

Boom pole, engine hoist and a chain fall. I use all depending on application. I’ve tried using the Jedi mind trick for levitation with no luck. No matter how much beer or coffee I just can’t be one with the force. :dance:

Edited by Machineguy
  • Haha 2

Machineguy

@ebinmaine

Everyone, 

Eric is just trying to be modest, we all know you pick up K321’s like bowling balls and move them around the shop! 

:ychain:

Edited by Machineguy
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Machineguy said:

. No matter how much beer or coffee I just can’t be one with the force

I've tried too Bob.

No luck here either.

5 hours ago, Machineguy said:

@ebinmaine

Everyone, 

Eric is just trying to be modest, we all know you pick up K321’s like bowling balls and move them around the shop! 

:ychain:

Maybe not quite as easy as a bowling ball.

Just because I can do something doesn't mean I should...

:P

• Haha 3

diesel cowboy

Guess I'm kind of spoiled.  I have this available to pull engines 20181003_150005.jpeg.0c121c02d1fab7afed43887e6f895b93.jpeg

Or as you can see pretty much anything I need to pick up to get underneath of.  If I'm outside and need to pull an engine I use one of the loaders with a set of forks.

• Like 3

Herder

My son is 25 and it work's like this.  Hey grab that engine and put it on the work bench for me.  Getting old has it's advantages.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
48 minutes ago, Herder said:

My son is 25 and it work's like this.  Hey grab that engine and put it on the work bench for me.  Getting old has it's advantages.

Hahahahahahahaha

You see. Here's the thing.

I'm 47 and it works like this.

I say to myself. Self. Grab that engine and put it on the workbench.

And then I think to myself. Self... You probably should not have done that.

Hehehe...

• Haha 1

squonk

006.JPG.797ec3c2ca6191e2aaa0a64e1ac87aba.JPG  :occasion-xmas::occasion-xmas:

• Like 3

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, squonk said:

006.JPG.797ec3c2ca6191e2aaa0a64e1ac87aba.JPG  :occasion-xmas::occasion-xmas:

Okay. Smartypants Mike. What if you had to change an engine in that thing?

Huh? Huh? What then?

• Haha 2

squonk
45 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Okay. Smartypants Mike. What if you had to change an engine in that thing?

Huh? Huh? What then?

Had the engine out to replace the hyd. belt. I borrowed my B-I-L's folding crane plus used my hyd. table

494117_pkbelt4.jpg.b5bf794881a495618faa55ca69267608.jpg

• Like 2

rjg854

They pick them up and puts them down :ROTF:

• Haha 1

bc.gold

Installed an overhead rail.

The rail is two pieces of 1/4" angle iron and its held strong for at least 1500 pounds. The last lift was to remove and replace a V6 and transmission from a Dodge Dakota.

rail.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 2

bc.gold

When it snows here in Manitoba we get a couple of feet, I installed the door on barn rails hung inside the building I use an old boat winch found at the dump to open and close.

When the snow piles up against the front of the building there's no shoveling required to open the door and the snow blower sits inside with the business end ready for action.

For the times I just want to go out to the shop and fool around I have installed a man door.

The second door has been framed in and insulated.

d1.png

d2.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Machineguy
3 minutes ago, bcgold said:

When it snows here in Manitoba we get a couple of feet, I installed the door on barn rails hung inside the building I use an old boat winch found at the dump to open and close.

When the snow piles up against the front of the building there's no shoveling required to open the door and the snow blower sits inside with the business end ready for action.

For the times I just want to go out to the shop and fool around I have installed a man door.

The second door has been framed in and insulated.

d1.png

d2.png

Do you have a 52’ blower on that 9020? I’m hoping to put my 9020 in deep stuff this year. 

I’ve got a boat lift worm gear style winch I got out of a scrap pile I’d thought of putting on a gantry in my shop. Super heavy lift capabilities that could be powered with a cordless drill thanks to the gear reduction. 

bc.gold
52 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

Do you have a 52’ blower on that 9020? I’m hoping to put my 9020 in deep stuff this year. 

I’ve got a boat lift worm gear style winch I got out of a scrap pile I’d thought of putting on a gantry in my shop. Super heavy lift capabilities that could be powered with a cordless drill thanks to the gear reduction. 

Yes its the 52" snow thrower, I also have the tiller and a mower deck.

I had intended to use this reduction to open and close the garage door but it worse than watching the grass grow.

The Chore Time winch was used on a large chicken barn to open and close the shutters used for air circulation and cooling.

I have a few more reductions waiting for projects and this one below to run a small ball mill that I use to pulverize gold bearing ore, black placer sand and computer chips.

chore.png

millreduction.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Excellent 3

Machineguy
16 minutes ago, bcgold said:

Yes its the 52" snow thrower, I also have the tiller and a mower deck.

I had intended to use this reduction to open and close the garage door but it worse than watching the grass grow.

The Chore Time winch was used on a large chicken barn to open and close the shutters used for air circulation and cooling.

I have a few more reductions waiting for projects and this one below to run a small ball mill that I use to pulverize gold bearing ore, black placer sand and computer chips.

chore.png

millreduction.png

Great stuff! Repurposing and salvaging materials that would be otherwise wasted. You’re using the repurposed mechanical goods to recycle materials and that sir is awesome! 

Smart way of doing things! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold
17 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

Great stuff! Repurposing and salvaging materials that would be otherwise wasted. You’re using the repurposed mechanical goods to recycle materials and that sir is awesome! 

Smart way of doing things! 

The clay that I'm milling was for assay purposes, the results were surprising.

The clay came from an exposed bank not far from my home, the samples were from surface weather worn with most of the minerals leached out.

I suspect drill samples from further down would prove more interesting, thought about contacting the water well drillers and have them notify me of the next local well their drilling so that I could grab a few samples for another assay.

Just goes to show treasures are unexpected finds, the best season for locating old iron is in the fall when the leaves have all fallen to the ground opening up the landscape.

assay1.png

assay2.png

assay3.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Thanks 1

Machineguy
Just now, bcgold said:

The clay that I'm milling was for assay purposes, the results were surprising.

The clay came from an exposed bank not far from my home, the samples were from surface weather worn with most of the minerals leached out.

I suspect drill samples from further down would prove more interesting, thought about contacting the water well drillers and have them notify me of the next local well their drilling so that I could grab a few samples for another assay.

Just goes to show treasures are unexpected finds, the best season for locating old iron is in the fall when the leaves have all fallen to the ground opening up the landscape.

assay1.png

assay2.png

assay3.png

That’s using your head!! I like it!!! 

Sarge

Keep your eyes open on local sales listings - a lot of folks buy engine hoists for a one-time job and sell them at less than half the cost of new, paid $75 for mine in great condition. I prefer the 6 castor model that can fold up to minimize it's footprint when in storage. Keep in mind that whatever you want to do for a lifting device it's not necessary that it moves or rolls around - the tractor, once the engine is removed will be easy enough to roll out of the way. 

You already have access to a lift that could more than do the job - that crane truck you drive at work could toss that Kohler like a football....

Sarge

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

already have access to a lift that could more than do the job - that crane truck you drive at work could toss that Kohler like a football....

Wish I could use it at home.

That would be a fun experiment.

Kohler chunking !!!

Remember punkin chunking....

Sarge

I'd reserve that experiment for Teccy's, but then again I have owned some excellent running examples. Just be aware, that K-341 is somewhere around 145lbs of spine-wrecking cast iron. I'd love to know the real weight of the K-482, when I picked that one up with the engine hoist the front end came up almost a 1-1/4" higher. At one time I'd just grab the dumb things and walk off with them, but those days are long gone now.

Sarge

Tractorhead
On 2. Oktober 2018 at 5:45 PM, ebinmaine said:

Thank you for all your responses and feel free to keep them coming.

I love the idea of a folding engine hoist but I simply don't have the room and I'm moving it around on a plywood floor not concrete.

I think I'll end up going with some kind of a combination of chainfalls and extra beams with possibility of barn door track. I really like that idea.

How about an framework from a Swing  or maybe a Children Swing?

It can be made of Metal or wood, it just depends on, the weight to carry.

With a chainfall Attached below, it shall be a simple construction, who's simple can be disassembled and stored at non use.

Stefan

• Like 1