ebinmaine

How do you pick up / put down / move around your heavy engines?

ebinmaine

I'm curious to know how you all handle removal or installation or simple movement around the shop of the larger engines.

I'm thinking about setting up some sort of ceiling joist rafter mounted hoist or something.

Nothing super extreme capable so there won't be any serious torque on the roof structure.

Chain Falls ? Block and tackle? What do you use?

The Tuul Crib
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm curious to know how you all handle removal or installation or simple movement around the shop of the larger engines.

I'm thinking about setting up some sort of ceiling joist rafter mounted hoist or something.

Nothing super extreme capable so there won't be any serious torque on the roof structure.

Chain Falls ? Block and tackle? What do you use?

The last time I didn't use anything but my back on my 20 hp onan! I payed for for about a week back!!!😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

WHX??

Lift with your legs not your back! :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

midpack

I have a chainfall hanging from the rafters in my garage that was my Dads' I have used it to pull engine/tranny combos out of automobiles...  my rafters are 2x6's and I have a 4x4 sitting across several of them that the hoist hangs from to take up weight.

• Like 1

lynnmor

I have one of these, bought it used, it comes in handy for air conditioners, welding and numerous uses.

s-l640.jpg

• Like 1

71_Bronco

Always helps to have a second set of hands. I haven't needed to do anything fancy for lifting yet, as I am always working with my dad around.

I stole a small, mini-pallet from work (about 24" x 18") that I mounted my K321 14 hp Kohler to while I rebuild / work on it. Makes it easier to pick up with 2 people.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

I use a harbor freight electric hoist suspended from barn door track so the hoist can move around. the hoist is a 500lb single cable/1000 lb double cable lift rating.  The shop ceiling has 2x12 ceiling joist since there is a storage room above it, so it is very strong.

When I built my shop I set up a system where I can move the barn door track for work inside the shop or move the track outside under my work patio area.  Sorry I don't have any of it mounted right now so I can't include a picture, but here's the component's I used. 

Coupling Nuts, were welded to pieces of flat strap which were then bolted to the ceiling joist. 

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/1137824;jsessionid=mY+7i5OzIJJ4xlaIWzxsQzwA.38536438-9c19-3947-9017-bf77ad0514fd?r=~|categoryl1:"600000 Fasteners"|~

~|categoryl2:"600072 Nuts"|~ ~|categoryl3:"600076 Coupling Nuts"|~

This is the type of Barn Door type Track i used.  It is rated to hang up to 450lb doors.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/national-hardware-5116-box-rail-galvanized-12-ft

The harbor freight hoist is hung with 2 set of these rollers https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/national-hardware-5022-hanger-with9-bolt

Out on my work patio i set up 2 rows of bolts thinking I might install a "bridge crane" type lift, but I haven't had the need to install it,  I installed 2 rows of coupling nuts 6 ft apart to hang track on.  Then I envisioned a section of track with a roller on each end running cross wise on the 2 tracks. The hoist could then be suspended from this cross wise track and be caple of length wise and cross wise travel.  

PS I also mounded a section of the track permanently under the  slopped eave of the building to move heavy items upstairs.   The hoist is fixed at the top of the stairs and the cable is run through a trolley to lift and pull the item up the slope.  When my sons were in High School they took over the loft for there teen age band room.  "Mom" had something to do with a window AC getting installed up there to get them out of the house.  The "eave hoist" was originally constructed to raise and lower all there large old school speakers and sound equipment when they went and played some where (teen birthday parties, etc).   

• Excellent 1

pacer

3 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I use a harbor freight electric hoist suspended from barn door track so the hoist can move around. the hoist is a 500lb single cable/1000 lb double cable lift rating.  The shop ceiling has 2x12 ceiling joist since there is a storage room above it, so it is very strong.

This is what I use also --- one of the best additions I've added to my shop!!

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1

saminmn

I built a gantry crane like the one in HF with a 6" beam and two 1 ton beam trolleys and hoists from HF.

• Like 1

illinilefttackle

I use a chain fall- but I think a folding Cherry Picker would be ideal.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Folding engne hoist ...very useful

Chain Hoist over work table  ( had one from Northern Tool sometime snapped in side and I never trusted it after that got the Jet one I have now

hoist.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Thank you for all your responses and feel free to keep them coming.

I love the idea of a folding engine hoist but I simply don't have the room and I'm moving it around on a plywood floor not concrete.

I think I'll end up going with some kind of a combination of chainfalls and extra beams with possibility of barn door track. I really like that idea.

Jerry77

I installed a jib crane with trucks and 1 ton chain fall when I built my pole building....easily handles up to one ton...be tough to be without it now...

Pullstart

What about a simple lever on a heavy base Eric?  It could break down easy.  Or use a fork in a tree and a pole!  :ROTF:

I just throw my back out, lift with my legs and grunt and (sometimes fart) while I’m swapping tractor engines... even though there is a cherry picker right outside my shop.

• Haha 6

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

What about a simple lever on a heavy base Eric?  It could break down easy.  Or use a fork in a tree and a pole!  :ROTF:

I just throw my back out, lift with my legs and grunt and (sometimes fart) while I’m swapping tractor engines... even though there is a cherry picker right outside my shop.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You've probably gathered from my pictures and videos that I'm not the smallest fellow in the world.

I'm fully accustomed to latching onto things and them going where I want them to go.

Sometimes I win... sometimes the object wins.....

Hehehehe.

• Like 1

clueless
54 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Kev, when you get older and fart when lifting something, you need to check your shorts :huh:. I know TMI.

• Haha 7

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, clueless said:

Kev, when you get older and fart when lifting something, you need to check your shorts :huh:. I know TMI.

I worked with a guy, who would say that after 30, you can’t ever trust a fart.  The things you learn about trying to get engine hoist ideas...

• Haha 4

ebinmaine

@clueless & @pullstart

I mean I guess the entire point of this whole exercise is that I'm trying to prevent exactly the issues that you folks are Ummmmm.... Having.

:ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

I bought a hydraulic lift table right after I had spinal fusion surgery. Probably should have done it years before!      :ychain:

It is great for loading/unloading from the tailgate of the truck or any lifting in the shop. Here it is lifting a 953 frame onto the rotisserie, also have an engine hoist.376093993_953rotisery001.JPG.dc0f6c922aab9fbbbc54db37210c921b.JPG

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

JoeM

EB I got a couple things I use, one is a truck crane mounted to a heavy metal work table. I use it the most. Next, I got a chain hoist hung from rafters and last is a section of unistrut mounted on the ceiling. The unistrut is pretty cheap. It can be purchased at the box stores and the trolley I got on ebay. Works well, similar to barn door track.

Unistrut_Trolley_Brochure.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine this will be right up your alley as I know you like a bargain . A few years ago I bought a hoist that is used to move people from beds , into tubs etc from Goodwill for $25.00 rated to lift 500 lbs. I move engines , jack up tractors . Has nice wheels just like an auto hoist for engines etc. I would send you a picture but I am too lazy to walk out to the shed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@ebinmaine this will be right up your alley as I know you like a bargain . A few years ago I bought a hoist that is used to move people from beds , into tubs etc from Goodwill for $25.00 rated to lift 500 lbs. I move engines , jack up tractors . Has nice wheels just like an auto hoist for engines etc. I would send you a picture but I am too lazy to walk out to the shed.

You're not lazy Jim. You are efficient.

Hahahahahaha

No worries. I know what you mean.

Perhaps I could trip over one of them.

Pullstart
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

I bought a hydraulic lift table right after I had spinal fusion surgery. Probably should have done it years before!      :ychain:

It is great for loading/unloading from the tailgate of the truck or any lifting in the shop. Here it is lifting a 953 frame onto the rotisserie, also have an engine hoist.376093993_953rotisery001.JPG.dc0f6c922aab9fbbbc54db37210c921b.JPG

Ice worms ate that 953 real good...

• Haha 1

doc724

I pondered this for a while a few years back.  Finally I bought a simple pulley, screwed it to a rafter in the garage, put a rope through it and tried to pull.  When that did not work I attached the end of the rope to another tractor-that worked.  Finally I got even smarter and used the bucket loader to provide the lift.  I never had to pull an Onan.  It was those darn big block Kohler's that gave me fits

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, doc724 said:

darn big block Kohler'

That's the source of the question...

C160 engine removal for cleaning and painting.

Then installation.