71_Bronco

Need New Tires

Pullstart

I saw these today at the Fountain City Amish store.  That’s probably not the correct store name, but that’s what it is.  Not Wheel Horse, but why haven’t we thought of this?  I’m sure they would skid logs like a beast @ebinmaine!  They look like they were manufactured in house, or nearby...

3B82193C-F3F4-40CC-AFDF-545F5F6BE680.jpeg

EACC2347-25FB-4FF8-8254-57CE682C9167.jpeg

8591C6E3-2B46-4024-9268-C19BCCE48D30.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I saw these today at the Fountain City Amish store.  That’s probably not the correct store name, but that’s what it is.  Not Wheel Horse, but why haven’t we thought of this?  I’m sure they would skid logs like a beast @ebinmaine!  They look like they were manufactured in house, or nearby...

3B82193C-F3F4-40CC-AFDF-545F5F6BE680.jpeg

EACC2347-25FB-4FF8-8254-57CE682C9167.jpeg

8591C6E3-2B46-4024-9268-C19BCCE48D30.jpeg

Those are absolutely awesome!

• Like 1

71_Bronco

I measured the rear wheels tonight, I'm not sure if I'm measuring right.

I measured the full width of the rubber tire, then minused the distance from the sidewall of the tire to the wheel bead.

Total width from the outside of one bead to the outside of the other is about 7-1/2 inches.

Not sure if I need to measure the INSIDE of the bead or if I measured right and have 7-1/2 inch wide wheels?

Thanks

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 71_Bronco said:

measured right

Sounds right for a stock older wheel.

Those tires should mount fine.

71_Bronco

After reading online (I know, can be dangerous), I need to measure inside the rim bead, meaning my wheels are probably 7 inches wide. I'm finding mixed results on the 10.50s working on the 7 inch wheels, all depending on the tire brand and which tire "model".

Hopefully these Kendas will work okay, I'd hate to mount them on my 7 inch wheels and find out I need to buy some 8 inch wide wheels and re-mount them. Fingers crossed.

I have read that some people run the tires a little lower PSI to get the tread to sit "flatter" rather than arching.

• Like 2

Pullstart
11 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

After reading online (I know, can be dangerous), I need to measure inside the rim bead, meaning my wheels are probably 7 inches wide. I'm finding mixed results on the 10.50s working on the 7 inch wheels, all depending on the tire brand and which tire "model".

Hopefully these Kendas will work okay, I'd hate to mount them on my 7 inch wheels and find out I need to buy some 8 inch wide wheels and re-mount them. Fingers crossed.

I have read that some people run the tires a little lower PSI to get the tread to sit "flatter" rather than arching.

If you were running a 5-6” wheel with 10.5” tires or 13+” wide tire on a 7-8” wheel, that would be when you notice big bulging.  I bet you’ll be just fine with what you have and what you want.

• Like 1

Rob R

Looking at the pics the REAR tires with new tubes would last another 10 years, the fronts need to be replaced..... in my humble opinion. 

• Like 1

71_Bronco

Got another update. Got the tires in this week, the Kenda Terra Tracs.

I was able to dismount the 8 inch front tires by hand, wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Bad news is that the side-walls pretty much disintegrated when I broke the bead and they are no good. I need to clean up the front wheels now before I mount the new fronts.

Good news on the rears, my dad was able to use his automotive tire machine at work, and got the new tires on super easy. In addition, the old wheel-horse rear tires are still in good shape. Some slight surface cracking as seen in the pictures I posted before, but they still hold air fine and overall are in pretty good shape. I'm sure the rears are re-usable.

The terra tracs fit pretty good on the 7" wheels. They do bow a little on the tread, but my dad said he put about 20 psi in the tires. The factory manual says to run about 8 if I recall correctly, so that may help flatten the tread out. I will say that these new tires look incredible. Much more aggressive than the turf savers. We'll see how they do on the grass.

My next issue I'm going to have is what color I want to paint the wheels. I want to run the stock chrome hub-caps (pictured below). Part of me was thinking about doing a black-and-red theme on this. Paint the frame black, and some other small pieces black. The 2-piece seat is already black (and in really nice shape considering its age). I was thinking about black wheels with the hub caps, but thought the tire would blend with the wheel. I am actually leaning towards red wheels, and would make the chrome really pop if they had a little ring of bright red around them.

Anyways, that's it for today. I posted some pics of the tires below in case anybody is curious.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

Well, they sure do look good!  I bet black or red wheels, they will look good no matter what.  I used three colors on Putt Putt, you can see that the wheels and some accents are the hammered paint, it is somewhat a dark grey - black.  Along with Regal Red, I used high temp black on the engine and I think maybe a couple other spots too.

BA24A712-8FF3-49FA-AC8B-6FFFDE359BB1.jpeg

F4ACF553-C239-41AB-B0E8-92A79B26618E.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I like the idea of having a contrast between the black tire and the Chrome cap.

I would vote for the red wheels, and also for the red stripe around the outside of the hubcap as an accent.

Those tires do look pretty wicked.

If you're looking for extra traction, get them fluid filled. After that, 10 to 12 pounds of PSI in with the fluid, or just air by itself....and you'll be in great shape.

• Like 2

Mows4three

Those Kenda's are SHARP!  They are going to look good on your horse.

As for me, I'm a white walls and chrome hub caps kind of guy.  If Wheel Horse had ever contracted with an industrial design engineer in their early days, I'm sure there would have been a streamlined tractor marketed to the up and coming first-time homeowner with tail fins, and fender skirts.  

Cheers!

Dave

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

with tail fins, and fender skirts

Sounds like you got a new project coming up

• Like 2