71_Bronco

Need New Tires

71_Bronco

Pulled out the Bronco last night, all the parts and pieces, and getting ready to rebuild.

The tires that are on the tractor now are the factory turf tires, that are actually marked "wheel horse". I was really hoping to re-use these, but the side-walls are dry-rotted and cracked really bad.

So it looks like I will be getting new rubber for this tractor, even though I had hoped I wouldn't need to. :(

So I have the choice now to go Ags and ribs, or turf tires. Main use for this tractor ('71 Bronco 14) is mowing.

Not sure if I will get a blade for it to use in the winter. My driveway is flat, paved, and about 75 feet long. I have a snow-blower that does a good job, but not so much on the slushy stuff. May decide to get a plow for the wet heavy stuff, but again, not the main purpose of this tractor.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? What did you guys decide? I'm leaning turfs, but if there's a good reason for Ags, I'm all ears.

71_Bronco

The tires I have now, that are stock, look like the Carlisle "Turf Saver" tires:

carlisle-turf-saver.jpg

Sarge

I run ags all the way around on mine, but they see a lot of hard work in gravel, sand and even mud at times beyond the snow work in the winter. In the snow, they work quite well in keeping the front end planted but I do run weights up front as well as fluid filled tires. Carlisle Tru Power on most of them except the D-180 which is running the BKT's and I like those equally as well as the Carlisle. There are as many opinions out there as there are tire brands - it's all a matter of preference and personal taste.

Sarge

ebinmaine

I'm thinking you're correct in your train of thought towards turfs because ...

1. You use that mainly as a mowing tractor.

2. Because you are not sure if you are going to use it for snow removal.

If you decide to use your tractor for snow removal and you have an asphalt driveway, you should get a set of the rubber cross link chains. I've never used them but several of us really like them.

I would recommend fluid filling your tires no matter what you do with them. Extra traction is a good thing.

• Like 2

Digger 66

Turf Masters if you're mowing more than anything .

If you're tilling or playing in the dirt , Ag's and tri-ribs .

• Like 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I would recommend fluid filling your tires no matter what you do with them. Extra traction is a good thing.

:text-yeahthat:           Turfs for mowing and ad chains for pushing snow.   Liquid filled tires with RV Antifreeze is rather inexpensive ($2.50 per Gal.  +/-) and will get you a lot more traction.

SIZE                 GALLONS Per Tire                WEIGHT in POUNDS

• 16x6.50-8               2.0                            21.4
  • 18x7.00-8               3.0                            32.1 
  • 18x8.50-8               3.4                            36.4 
  • 18x9.50-8               4.0                            42.8
  • 23x8.50-12             5.5                            58.9
  • 23x10.50-12           6.8                            72.8
  • 6-12                        3.6                            38.5
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

If you're mowing little hills like I have Ags loaded and weighted, also works just fine in the snow on turf or asphalt, again just personal preference and experiences, Jeff.

IMAG3175.jpg

IMAG4260.jpg

IMAG4270.jpg

• Like 4

ericj

I run ags on my tractors year around. I find that they really don't tear up the yard any worse then turfs. but like said above it is personal preference. good luck

eric j

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I've run ags and even ags with chains year road.  They do some minor damage here and there but they don't spin on slopes or wet spots and in the end do no more damage than turf tires. 

• Like 1

71_Bronco

Thank you all for the help so far.

What about something like the Kenda Terra Trac? Seems a little more aggressive than turfs, but not as bad as ag

Terra_Trac_2__84411.1437483015.1280.1280

• Like 1

71_Bronco

Also, it seems like the stock tire size I need is not a popular one, 23x8.50-12 rear and 16x6.50-8 front.

One brand that does make a matching set of turf tires is "rubber master", but not sure how good they are.

WHX??

I could be off my rocker here fellas but I'm going the other way on this. If those are original tires could you tube them and run chains for winter duty? Have to excuse me for wanting to save old rubber but Bronc did you say they have WH on the sidewalls? Not that I don't like a reshod  with fresh rubber but they just don't make them anymore with WH on the sidewaĺl. Again excuse my rant but I am sitting on a PILE of old :wh: tires that I know they'll never make again and can't  bring myself to toss them on the burn pile.:twocents-02cents:

71_Bronco
10 hours ago, WHX21 said:

I could be off my rocker here fellas but I'm going the other way on this. If those are original tires could you tube them and run chains for winter duty? Have to excuse me for wanting to save old rubber but Bronc did you say they have WH on the sidewalls? Not that I don't like a reshod  with fresh rubber but they just don't make them anymore with WH on the sidewaĺl. Again excuse my rant but I am sitting on a PILE of old :wh: tires that I know they'll never make again and can't  bring myself to toss them on the burn pile.:twocents-02cents:

Believe me, I want to keep the stock tires. That was my plan originally, and I will be sad to see them taken off. The side-walls are very cracked, at least on the smaller ones. I will take some pics tonight, but I don't know if they are solid enough to re-tube and re-use.

71_Bronco

As promised, here are some pics of the tires. The larger, rear tires arent too bad, some small cracks here and there, mostly in the grooves of the tread.

The smaller front tires are what really concerns me, deep cracks all around the tires on both sides of the side-walls. Not sure if I can fill these cracks with some kind of epoxy putty that would hold while I use tubes in the tires, or if my money / effort is better spent on just putting on new rubber.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by 71_Bronco

ebinmaine

I'm a big fan of originality and especially on tires that still say Wheelhorse on them. They're just plain awesome.

However, safety must be my number one concern. If you're going to be using your tractor to haul heavy loads or put stress on the rubber then they just really have to be in good shape.

Sparky

I’m a huge fan of the Carlisle All-Trails. Mine are 23/10.5/12 and I think the next size down is 23/8/12...only a 1/2” less width than your original Bronco rear tires. These are mounted on my dedicated snow plow machine but would probably be great for mowing small slopes.

3A9520F3-FA77-4224-BEBD-CB725608B6B7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

71_Bronco
43 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I’m a huge fan of the Carlisle All-Trails. Mine are 23/10.5/12 and I think the next size down is 23/8/12...only a 1/2” less width. These are mounted on my dedicated snow plow machine but would probably be great for mowing small slopes.

3A9520F3-FA77-4224-BEBD-CB725608B6B7.jpeg

I really like the all-trails. however, due to my OCD, I want the same tires front and rear. The All-Trails are not made in a size small enough for the fronts (16x6.50-8)

I think I am going to go with the Kenda Terra Tracs, however I need to verify my wheels first. I need to go up to a 10.50 tire for the Kenda's for the rear, from the stock 8.50. I've read that the narrow wheels with the 10.50 will cause the tires to bulge in the middle and not sit flat.

ClassicTractorProfessor

Where your main use is going to be mowing my recommendation would be a set of new Carlisle Turf-Savers all the way around. If you need any extra traction for snow removal later you can always use chains. You should be able to step up to the bigger 10.50s with no problem, I'm running Hi-Run 23x10.50-12 ag tires on the rear of my C125 with no problems. The fronts are Carlisles I ordered through the tire shop I work for...I wanted tri ribs but our supplier didn't have them in the size I need

FB_IMG_1538850551587.jpg

FB_IMG_1538850557045.jpg

• Like 3

Cetan08

It is such a rare find on the wh tires that I would put new tires on the GT and then clean up the old ones, using tire black afterwards and use them for show. Just be a shame to scrap them.

I have also seen shops put liners in tires along with tubes and they hold up fine.

71_Bronco

Okay, quick update on this. Bought the Kenda tires, paid $266 shipped for the set (16x6.50-8 fronts, 23x10.50-12 rears). Still need to measure the back rims (should have done that before).

Local tractor shop quoted me $20 per wheel / tire to change them. Said I'd get the old tires back, and the new ones mounted. Seemed a little steep, but then again, they didn't make any money on the tire sale.

Are the 12" and 8" wheels a pain in the rear to change?

ebinmaine

$20 per wheel is way too high

Do you have other places you can go?

I'll tell you what I would do.

go to Harbor Freight and buy one each of the regular manual changer and the small Tire manual changer.

you will have spent that same $80 and you will have the tools the next time you need them.

Trina bought us the full-sized manual changer a few months ago and it was one of the best investments in tools we've ever made.

• Like 2

pfrederi
58 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

Okay, quick update on this. Bought the Kenda tires, paid $266 shipped for the set (16x6.50-8 fronts, 23x10.50-12 rears). Still need to measure the back rims (should have done that before).

Local tractor shop quoted me $20 per wheel / tire to change them. Said I'd get the old tires back, and the new ones mounted. Seemed a little steep, but then again, they didn't make any money on the tire sale.

Are the 12" and 8" wheels a pain in the rear to change?

Yeah  they will give your old ones back only because it costs them to get rid of them...How will you get rid of them???

$20 per tire is out of line.  Do what Eric said

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 1

71_Bronco

I was going to see if anybody wanted the old tires on here, since they are wheel-horse branded. They will need tubes and possibly some repair on the cracked side walls, but figured someone may want to save them.

And I only checked with 1 shop, they are the closest "tractor" place (not like a Home Depot or Lowes).

My dad works at an auto shop, but I'm not sure if his automotive tire changing machine can do these small tires.

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

I was going to see if anybody wanted the old tires on here, since they are wheel-horse branded. They will need tubes and possibly some repair on the cracked side walls, but figured someone may want to save them.

And I only checked with 1 shop, they are the closest "tractor" place (not like a Home Depot or Lowes).

My dad works at an auto shop, but I'm not sure if his automotive tire changing machine can do these small tires.

Completely depends on the machine that use. Some of them can do the 12 inch rear rims but most of them don't want to mess with the eight inch front rims because those are done by hand no matter who does them... usually.