tntatro

K341 carburetor tuning questions

tntatro

Hello, I am fairly new at working on Wheel Horse tractors and am having minor issues with a C160 with a k341. It tends to bog a little when going uphill or mowing through thick grass. The engine seems good as it doesn't smoke or knock but it does have a small amount of gray smoke on startup. I compare it to my Raider 12 that smokes pretty bad and the Raider doesn't really bog at all through the same conditions. 

When I tuned the K301 I started at 2 turns on the high as the book said, then turned it open then closed and found the center which was about 2-1/4 turns. It ran strong like that but would back fire after a little while so I tuned it to 2-1/2, then it would bog a little, then tuned to 2-3/8 and got more backfire, then tuned it in between 2-1/2 and 2-3/8 and it runs strong and doesn't backfire. Seemed like not very much space between bogging and backfiring but it has been going good so far.

I tried the same techniques with the k341 and it seemed like I could turn the screw a lot one way or the other without much change as far as driving it. I didn't get any backfiring but it always had a small amount of bogging. When trying to find the center between rich and lean it was really hard because the governor/throttle shaft is in the way and I had to turn so much both ways then it would stall and flood and be hard to start. It's currently tuned where the book said to start which is 3-1/2 turns on the high. It revs at about 3400rpm and idles at about 1200rpm. 

Any suggestions? The air filter is clean and I rebuilt the carburetor about a year ago along with adjusting the valves and replacing the fuel lines and fuel filter. It's been used a lot since then for mowing.

WHX??

How does it idle? You might want to check the play in the throttle shaft bushing as that can cause some constant messing with the adjustments. Usually won't idle good if real bad tho. 

oldredrider

Check your points setting. I would go with .019.

tntatro
22 hours ago, WHX21 said:

How does it idle?

It idles pretty well but does have a small amount of sputtering. My Raider 12 won't idle though. I have to start it at half throttle and after I'm done mowing if I put the throttle all the way down it will stall after a little while. I can't get it to stay running at anything less than about 1,900 rpm.

Edited by tntatro

tntatro
13 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Check your points setting

Okay, I'll have to check that. It had a hard time starting in cold weather but when the weather warmed up it starts right up so I never messed with the points. I've had the C160 about a year.

oliver2-44

I had a similar problem with my C-160 K341. I did a lot of carb adjustment without much response. Reset the points and that helped a little. Had a good idle and low throttle but at high throttle ran good one second and bogged the next constantly back and forth. Somewhere I read in here that the “Condenser” really helps spark at high rpm. So I changed the condenser and it was an instant fix. It’s worth a try on yours😀

• Like 2