CountryRock

GT2500 Briggs & Stratton Charging System

CountryRock

Are there any diagrams or schematics of the charging system on the GT2500?  I want to go through and make sure everything is good and working properly.  Only showing 12-12.5v at the battery when running wide open.

Edited by CountryRock

953 nut

This manual should get you headed in the right direction.

1667098686_1electrical.jpg.ee67fd474771aaeef538330d2443f19e.jpg

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

CountryRock

I have that, but I'm not quite sure what goes to what.

953 nut

There is no external regulator on the B&S engines, just a diode on the output. I don't own any of these so not too sure what it looks like.

May want to do another post to attract the attention of folks who have B&S charging system experience.

• Like 2

pfrederi

Sounds just like 3 amp unregulated system used on Kohlers and some Techys.

gwest_ca

May help

Garry

• Thanks 2

CountryRock

I cleaned up the main ground and the positive connection at the solenoid.  Alternator connection seems ok.  Getting 12.5-12.6v at battery while wide open.  What should it read?

CountryRock

Checked DC voltage at alternator connector, reads 14.4v, so alternator is good.

gwest_ca

Bump the starter a couple of times without allowing the engine to start to remove any surface charge in the battery.

Check the battery voltage without the motor running.

Start motor and see if the voltage increases above the not running voltage. If it increases there is charge current available and I would just go with it.

The condition of the battery can affect the charge rate. Have another known good battery to try?

Garry

• Excellent 1

CountryRock

I swapped for a good battery too.  Motor off is 12.2v

CountryRock

I'm used to my other newer horse putting out 14.4 on a Briggs twin.  I know, different system.

CountryRock

Would it make a difference that I switched this tractor from points to magneto?  Would that mean I need a different ignition switch to get it to charge properly?

pfrederi

If you change to a Magneto engine you must change your ignition switch or you will fry your magneto. Battery points system the ignition switch feeds power through the "I" terminal to the coil to make engine run.    A mag system the ignition switch grounds the magneto through the "M" terminal when you turn it off.

CountryRock

I changed to the magnetron ignition last year on that engine.  I was bored last night and was looking at schematics and doing a little research and saw where someone with a different tractor went from magneto to points and was told about the ignition switch so I wasn't sure if that would make a difference on my tractor.