Dan693

Ag Tire Mounting Help

Dan693

I am having a heck of a time mounting 2 RJ ag tires on the 12" rims. I'm sure there are threads on here about it but can't seem to find any. A video would be nice.

Any advice on mounting these by hand would be appreciated

I can get the first bead on the rim but the second is the bear. I am risking bending the rim or tearing the tire. It's banjo tight with 6 more inches to go.

I am soaping them up good but it wont budge.

Thx

D.

• Sad 1

SylvanLakeWH

Two words - Discount Tire...

I know...I know - Do it myself...But I have found a few things are not worth (to me) going it alone...Changing tires on these little guys is one of them (for me).

Way cheaper than my time, aggravation and my wife washing my mouth out with soap...I can not afford the soap!

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

squonk

I hated changing tires when I worked in auto shops. I take all of mine down the street and have them do it. Besides they always have homemade chocolate chip cookies on the counter! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

pfrederi

What are you using for tire tools?  If you are just trying to do it on the floor with a couple of cheap tire tools take it some where.  I have a HF manual a full size tire machine a selection of kentool tire irons and it can still take some effort

• Like 2

Dan693

Update.....I bailed and took them to my local tire guy. He has a machine and they'll be done in 2 hours.......$20.

Now I have 2 hours to clean my frickin shop up. No more excuses!

Thx for the input!

• Like 5

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:              I have changer enough tires on mine to pay for it and then some. But, if you are just doing one pair you should just go to your tire shop.

Pittsburgh® Automotive 62317 Manual Tire Changer

• Like 4

formariz

A few years ago I was going through the same ordeal where it took 10 screwdrivers or whatever i could wedge in there , so much soap that everything slipped out of my hand, two pairs of hands, one set of knees and me turning into a raving lunatic. Then I decided to buy one of those small tire changing kits at HF. Fastened it to a small portable work table that gets fastened to the floor when using it and that changed everything. In less than twenty minutes I can remove old tire and install new one. If you own more than six of these old tractors or keep getting them a well worth investment.

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

I have both of the entire changers from harbor freight and both have saved my life and my language lol

• Like 1

KC9KAS
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:              I have changer enough tires on mine to pay for it and then some. But, if you are just doing one pair you should just go to your tire shop.

Pittsburgh® Automotive 62317 Manual Tire Changer

I too have that set-up and it paid for itself the 1st time I used it.

My neighbor and I used his lift to remove my rear wheel on a 1996 Honda Gold Wing.

Once the wheel was off I crossed the street to my garage, deflated the tire, removed it, mounted the new tire, added balance beads, aired the tire up and it took me a total of 25 minutes!

Pretty darn good I thought!

If you leave the tire in the sun for a few hours, this will greatly reduce the pain & suffering, as will as the soap (for potty mouth)!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

kasey54

Amen.

WHX??

The big thing with manual tire changing it to get the bead down into the center of the rim. I have no problems just using tire spuds but I have a shop that did two 23 - 10.50 tires for a paltry 10.34 including some for the governor. You  can bet tbey are gonna do this pair of 6 ply skid steer tires I got. Best part was not a scratch or mark on fresh paint rims.

In HF with @Achto this weekend and he pointed out their changer for 40 bucks... Shoulda bought one right then.

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
22 hours ago, WHX21 said:

The big thing with manual tire changing it to get the bead down into the center of the rim. I have no problems just using tire spuds but I have a shop that did two 23 - 10.50 tires for a paltry 10.34 including some for the governor. You  can bet tbey are gonna do this pair of 6 ply skid steer tires I got. Best part was not a scratch or mark on fresh paint rims.

In HF with @Achto this weekend and he pointed out their changer for 40 bucks... Shoulda bought one right then.

Yep, that’s what I was gonna say!  Well not exactly, but the part about the bead seating in the center of the rim, that’s crucial!

• Haha 1

WHX??

Here ya go fellas feast on this.... 20 clams to have them mounted  but since I couldn't find  stems local they put in some choice ones figuring I might want to load them. Total bill with the show stems 30 + change .....flipped the guy 40 and told him to grease the guy that mounted them. NOT a speck of fresh paint off the rims! 

20181001_171908.jpg

20181001_171930.jpg

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 8
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: That's some :wh: $ well spent.  :eusa-clap:

• Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

I take them and have them demounted, but always put the new ones on myself. After you get the first side on, make sure you push the next one down to the center of the wheel. Thats the only way it will go on. Thats why the center of the wheel is smaller. 

Glad you got them on, the older I get, the harder this crap gets!!

Randy

• Like 2

Pullstart
14 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Here ya go fellas feast on this.... 20 clams to have them mounted  but since I couldn't find  stems local they put in some choice ones figuring I might want to load them. Total bill with the show stems 30 + change .....flipped the guy 40 and told him to grease the guy that mounted them. NOT a speck of fresh paint off the rims! 

20181001_171908.jpg

20181001_171930.jpg

Those are some treads!  What tractor are they going on?

WHX??

Not quite sure yet Kev ... since I have studs & lugs on many of my tractors I might just play musical tires for a bit, just to wear the nubbies off. Unless @19richie66 makes me shave my legs! :laughing-rolling: Might take awhile as the rubber is a very hard compound which one would expect from skid steer tires.   Play in the dirt with them at  plow day for sure and see how they perform without weights or loaded. Since the rims were supposed to be for a 1055 project they might end up on her with 5 ribs for fronts....  for shows anyway.

Edited by WHX21
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES
3 hours ago, WHX21 said:

Unless @19richie66 makes me shave my legs! :laughing-rolling: ....  for shows anyway.

Really, you do that for him?   :blink:

• Haha 3

19richie66
15 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Easy now :laughing-rofl:

• Haha 1

AMC RULES

:dunno:  Just sayin'  

WHX??
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Yes I would ...he did it for me :lol:

20180625_195050[1].jpg

• Haha 3

WHX??

Yah real funny guys 'till somebody gets a razor  cut, gets infected and has to use his wife's nylons over his face to make a living instead of wearing them on his legs like Ritchie does....real funny. :laughing-rolling: Sides one should be wearing off nubbies with good old fashioned seat time :)

:text-imsorry:   Dan we didn't mean to hijack your thread with our nonsense ! BTW Glad to hear you got your Onan crank problem sorted out:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by WHX21
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, WHX21 said:

Yah real funny guys 'till somebody gets a razor  cut, gets infected and has to use his wife's nylons over his face to make a living instead of wearing them on his legs like Ritchie does....real funny. :laughing-rolling: Sides one should be wearing off nubbies with good old fashioned seat time :)

:text-imsorry:   Dan we didn't mean to hijack your thread with our nonsense ! BTW Glad to hear you got your Onan crank problem sorted out:handgestures-thumbupright:

Dan, I bet Jim’s not really sorry.  I bet he has apple cobbler though.

• Haha 1