dwbbear

520H Onan P220G problem

dwbbear

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum but not to Wheel Horse. I bought a new 417a in 1985 and have used it every year since. The engine gave up this August. I bought a 96 anniversary 520h with a Onan p220g engine. The valves were chattering so went into adjusting them. Found that the valve stem cap was missing on the rear intake valve. Ordered the cap and installed it and put everything back together. The engine fired up and was running smoothly. After mowing for about an hour the engine stopped. The fuel filter showed only a little fuel in it. I got it restarted but at a low idle. When I increase the throttle it would stop again as if it was starving for fuel. I ordered and replaced the fuel pump which is vacuum actuated and replace the fuel filter as well. After installing both, it started up with no problems and ran smoothly at 3500 RPMs but I did have to adjust the choke lever up a little bit to keep the governor from pulsating. Started mowing again and the same symptoms happened again after about an hour and a half. I noticed this time that the voltage meter on the dash was pegged at 16 and the horsepower percentage Gage which is run off vacuum was at a hundred percent. The only way to keep it running was at full choke & half throttle and still yet it was not running smoothly and the governor was pulsating. The fuel filter still only had minimal fuel in it as if the fuel pump was not pumping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

WH nut

Check the fuel shut off at the tank. There is a fine screen on the inside that can plug up.

lynnmor

Check voltage with another meter, if it is too high, replace voltage regulator.

Clean out the carburetor thoroughly, and check the intake manifold for leaks.

dwbbear

Thanks for the replies. I cleaned the filter and the carb prior to my first post. I checked vacuum hose that connects to the fuel pump from the engine to be sure that it was in good condition and it is. While it was hanging loose from the fuel pump I noticed some oil dripping from it - slightly. Is this normal?

lynnmor

Yes, they can get a few drops of oil inside.  Even worse, condensation can form and freeze in extreme cold.

The fact that using the choke improves the operation tells me you still have a problem getting fuel thru the carburetor.  Did you disassemble the carb and blow out all passages?