Sign in to follow this  
ryanmfairbank

k181 ... continued problems (bent governor cross shaft)

ryanmfairbank

If you’ve followed my posts as I’m rebuilding my ‘77 B80, you know that my most recent problem was with the governor...2 weeks of hard work got me to yesterday when i was ready to mow my lawn...the motor kept bogging down with the blades engaged, so i took another look at my governor and it was still not properly adjusted...I took it down to my neighbor who has the small engine shop and he gave me some pointers...whenever I set the governor and then tightened the bushing, the cross shaft would no longer turn...I made lots of adjustments...turns out that the part of the cross shaft that’s outside the motor was slightly bent, causing it to jam-up when tightened...we found this out after it came loose and bent when I started the mower...at least that’s his assumption...it was already slightly bent and I pushed the bushing on the opposite end out too far causing the shaft to come loose...

so, I just pulled the motor again, had him pull the flywheel, and I have to order a new shaft...we won’t know until Tuesday when he helps me pull the camshaft, which I’ve never done, whether or not the gear needs replaced...does anyone have a suggestion on where to find a cross shaft?

DarylJ

Sorry to hear about your governor shaft being bent.  It could well be easily straightened once removed, which I would suggest before buying a replacement.  OTOH, if you would rather find a replacement, then check online auction sites.  Type in “Kohler K181 governor shaft” for inclusive search results.  I have purchased K181 engine parts that came originally on JD tractors and found them to be identical.  Likely this K181 governor shaft will also be identical, whether used on WH, Deere, Jacobson, Gravely, and others.

stevasaurus

When it comes to Kohler engines...the internal parts are all the same.  A K-181 is a K-181, is a K-181 to infinity.  :)  Make sure you did not mess up the flag on that shaft.